blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Was this expected?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was this expected?  (Read 3278 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »

William Hill to close 700 shops.

Did these shops exist before FOBT's or were they just opened on the back of them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48868335

The older I get, the better I was.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »

Lots of stores were opened for FOBTs. There are instances of two of the same store literally next door to each other which was purely for getting an extra 4 FOBTs in.

Blue text
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »

William Hill to close 700 shops.

Did these shops exist before FOBT's or were they just opened on the back of them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48868335

Bit of both really Tom.

The loss of the FOBT's is a huge factor, but it's also part of the move from High St to Online which is affecting so many retailers. The Sports Betting model has been migrating from High St to Online for some 10 or 15 years now but has accelerated of late. So the FOBT's offset some of that loss, & once they were curtailed the closures were inevitable.  More - many more - will close in the next few years. Running a High St Betting shop without the crutch of FOBT's is inefficient in the extreme, when you match up the costs v an online operation.

Worth noting, too, is that Online Sports Betting sites have the equivalent of FOBT's (Slots) but there is, as far as I know, no limits to bet sizes, though that's offset to a degree by compliance & regulation being a much bigger factor.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:35:17 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »

The end of another era then.

Once the betting shop and it's eclectic clientèle were a feature of every high street but soon it will be gone.

I find it exciting to have lived thorough a time when something was commonplace to where it is confined to memory.

Phone boxes for example. I wonder how many people on here have never used a phone box?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »

I don't think it'll be too long before they put the block on advertising to some degree either.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 12:13:24 PM »

If it wasn't for FOBT's betting shops as we know them would have disappeared totally years ago.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 12:15:59 PM »

Once the betting shop and it's eclectic clientèle were a feature of every high street but soon it will be gone.

I find it exciting to have lived thorough a time when something was commonplace to where it is confined to memory.

Phone boxes for example. I wonder how many people on here have never used a phone box?

Phone boxes in 2019 are strange how they still exist.   Every time i past through a train station and see pay phones no one is ever using them.  Literally never for obvious reasons.  Why are they still there?  Is it more expensive to take them away then to just keep them there doing nothing?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »

Phone boxes in 2019 are strange how they still exist.   Every time i past through a train station and see pay phones no one is ever using them.  Literally never for obvious reasons.  Why are they still there?  Is it more expensive to take them away then to just keep them there doing nothing?

Hmm. I wonder if there is some legislation requiring them to be there?

Do motorways still have emergency phones every few hundred yards?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »

Phone boxes in 2019 are strange how they still exist.   Every time i past through a train station and see pay phones no one is ever using them.  Literally never for obvious reasons.  Why are they still there?  Is it more expensive to take them away then to just keep them there doing nothing?

The numbers of phone boxes is actually increasing in some areas, particularly London, but these days they are more than phone boxes in the sense we used to know them;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/telephone-phone-boxes-surveillance-british-culture-public-space-london-long-reads-westminster-a8569096.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:29:30 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »

Phone boxes in 2019 are strange how they still exist.   Every time i past through a train station and see pay phones no one is ever using them.  Literally never for obvious reasons.  Why are they still there?  Is it more expensive to take them away then to just keep them there doing nothing?

Yes.

Don't think they were ever every few hundred yards - they are, & always were iirc, 1 mile apart.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »

Yes.

Don't think they were ever every few hundred yards - they are, & always were iirc, 1 mile apart.

So you can never be more than half a mile or as some would say, a few hundred yards away from one.  Tongue

There are little marker stakes to tell you which way to the closest one.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 01:47:20 PM »

Yes.

So you can never be more than half a mile or as some would say, a few hundred yards away from one.  Tongue

There are little marker stakes to tell you which way to the closest one.

They are a mile apart, not " every few hundred yards".

Now behave.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:49:02 PM by tikay » Logged

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »

The ones in my area get used as local free book exchanges.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 11:20:45 PM »

There isn't a violin in the world small enough
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »

There isn't a violin in the world small enough

What for?