blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:44:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  VPN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VPN  (Read 3898 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »

Have one on all devices.

I do use torrents, stream movies and have a dodgy sky/by/us cable package, so there's reason for me to have one.

But I would not use public WiFi without one, and even home networks are easily gotten into. For the cost there's little reason to not have one if you do any sort of financial transaction online

So you're saying paid for version, always on?

Recommend?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »

As a side note, I use a 5yo android smartphone which I don't want to update yet because I will have to lose at least one of the fetures that I like on this one. However....

The last and final security update for this model was ~ Aug last year. Will using a VPN help keep that secure or is that a whole nother pile of pancakes?

If I pay for a VPN, can I use the same one across several devices?

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »

Yeah you can usually have 5+ connections

Paid versions will be faster (less traffic on servers) more stable (better spec on severs + protection against attacks - popular ones are constantly attacked by foriegn governments and hackers trying to leak people's IPs) and will generally have better security and flexibility. (ability to chose country for example  which is useful for cheaper Netflix subs, evading geoblocking etc)

A vpn simply keeps your web traffic safe.

Imagine someone wants to see who you are writing to. They simply read the address labels on you letters. A vpn is like a PO box. Anyone wanting to see your web traffic simply sees stuff being sent to and from a single server. The content is opaque to even your service provider.

So yes it will make you more secure esp on public wifi
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »

https://www.ultravpn.com/

?

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »

Not used them, but looks at the pricier end. For that price you could go with protonvpn which is designed by the team at CERN and hosted in Switzerland (mega tight security and privacy  laws) and is the go to for journalists in countries that will kill you for writing the wrong words, and for whistleblowers (they also made a hyper secure email service)

I've used Xpressvpn and proton and they were both excelletn, bit at the expensive end of the market and probably overkill.

Nord, private internet access and IP vanish have been used by people who's opinions I trust and are much cheaper options.

I couldn't recommend anything outside of them as I don't know enough about other providers.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 02:16:42 PM »

Nord do 3 years @ £82.40 with a 30 day trial.

Seems OK to me. I'm going abroad next week so I could give it a bit of a test run with BBC iplayer.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »

Even if it works for iplayer now, it eventually won't.  BBC log where multiple connections are made using the same IP and now that they make you register, it's pretty easy to work out that vpns are being used.  So don't use iplayer as a reason to take up a provider.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »

Nord do 3 years @ £82.40 with a 30 day trial.

Seems OK to me. I'm going abroad next week so I could give it a bit of a test run with BBC iplayer.

I used Tunnelbear and NordVPN from France a couple of years ago to be able to stream Game of Thrones on Sky.  Both were easy to use, but both were hit and miss with regard to being accepted by Sky, which supports the earlier comment regarding them being detected and blocked by sites.

Free trials are a good bet to do test logins, but will typically have restricted data limits.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 02:53:00 PM »

Even if it works for iplayer now, it eventually won't.  BBC log where multiple connections are made using the same IP and now that they make you register, it's pretty easy to work out that vpns are being used.  So don't use iplayer as a reason to take up a provider.

I'm sure you are right.

I guess I need to do more research into what is and isn't possible.

I know nothing about torrents for example.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »

Do you have a second pc/laptop that you can leave running in the UK?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »

Leave a laptop running? Mrs Red would have a fit. She's convinced we would come home to a smoking crater if I leave the sky box plugged in.

If I left a laptop on she would swear blind that someone was casing our gaff and stealing our valuables through the camera.

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 03:53:46 PM »

If you want to watch TV shows there are apps that let you watch pretty much anything for free (on android anyway)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytyc8ix7cpo1ffv/Titanium_TV_AF_2.0.16.apk?dl=0

For example.

Install at your own risk. I've used it for a while and it works fine (I have a debrid account which pulls more links, but you can get links without one)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »

I'm sure you are right.

I guess I need to do more research into what is and isn't possible.

I know nothing about torrents for example.

Yeah what doubleup says. Had loads of problems trying to get iplayer. Just catches you eventually until it becomes too much of a hassle. Got rid of mine in the end.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »

Have one on all devices.

I do use torrents, stream movies and have a dodgy sky/by/us cable package, so there's reason for me to have one.

But I would not use public WiFi without one, and even home networks are easily gotten into. For the cost there's little reason to not have one if you do any sort of financial transaction online

So you're saying paid for version, always on?

Recommend?

I use IPVanish and can highly recommend it.

I use it on public WiFi networks and at home when streaming or wanting to read something on a site which is not available to the UK.  Some sites will detect you are using a VPN and ask you to turn it off.

Otherwise I leave it off.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »

Leave a laptop running? Mrs Red would have a fit. She's convinced we would come home to a smoking crater if I leave the sky box plugged in.

If I left a laptop on she would swear blind that someone was casing our gaff and stealing our valuables through the camera.

Is Crown Derby the new Bitcoin?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: