blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Ready meals
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ready meals  (Read 3233 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:05:02 PM »

Never really had ready meals before except a one off curry for some reason. However, new kitchen and building work combined with wife hiding in Austria for the 2 weeks work has led me to the ready meal. We're one week in to the work.

My nearest supermarket is a moderate sized Asda, I like it, as I like a nearby Co-Op because it isn't huge and has limited choice versus the giant Tesco and Sainsburys nearby.

Anyway, only cooking mechanism is microwave sat in the living room with me -  bought some ready meals - not even Asda's finest, just bog standard 3 for £6 (£2.20 sold individually) - things like Shepherd's pie, Beef stew and dumplings, hotpot, steak in ale with Mash. They are very acceptable, enjoyable even.

Each meal comes in around 400-500 cals so they're not massive but adequate for me (may have to have a slice of bread later in the evening) - I don't know what poor people live on in terms of money but the ready meal at low cost, low cals and very deece flavour seems like the answer to everything at the moment.

Anyway, any ready meal recs even if I have to go to one of the other big supermarkets or, heaven forfend, Waitrose or Marks

sola virtus nobilitat
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »

Never really had ready meals before except a one off curry for some reason. However, new kitchen and building work combined with wife hiding in Austria for the 2 weeks work has led me to the ready meal. We're one week in to the work.

My nearest supermarket is a moderate sized Asda, I like it, as I like a nearby Co-Op because it isn't huge and has limited choice versus the giant Tesco and Sainsburys nearby.

Anyway, only cooking mechanism is microwave sat in the living room with me -  bought some ready meals - not even Asda's finest, just bog standard 3 for £6 (£2.20 sold individually) - things like Shepherd's pie, Beef stew and dumplings, hotpot, steak in ale with Mash. They are very acceptable, enjoyable even.

Each meal comes in around 400-500 cals so they're not massive but adequate for me (may have to have a slice of bread later in the evening) - I don't know what poor people live on in terms of money but the ready meal at low cost, low cals and very deece flavour seems like the answer to everything at the moment.

Anyway, any ready meal recs even if I have to go to one of the other big supermarkets or, heaven forfend, Waitrose or Marks

Brilliant. Was so funny I couldn't be bothered to make a Fritzl hiding in Austrian cupboard gag.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »

If the Sainsbury's has a deli counter with a curry takeaway I can recommend it, I have the chicken saag Masala and it's one of the nicest curries I have had. The Indian side dishes are ok too.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:30:56 PM »

If the Sainsbury's has a deli counter with a curry takeaway I can recommend it, I have the chicken saag Masala and it's one of the nicest curries I have had. The Indian side dishes are ok too.

Tomorrow, I'm on it, still have 7 days to try new things :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:35:35 PM »

Brilliant. Was so funny I couldn't be bothered to make a Fritzl hiding in Austrian cupboard gag.

Haha, sounds rather hooray, but Vin, if the cap fits etc :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

Ready meals were crap 20 years ago, now they are excellent. Far better than a lot of pup type offerings.

These are great if you like fish.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:51:31 PM »

A fair few supermarkets do smaller size bags you can put on a plate and zap in a couplke of minutes in the microwave.  It tastes better than boling it to death, though my kids would disagree.  I haven't shopped at Asda in years, but pasta in sauce is better than the likes of lasagne, as you never get the nice crispy bits in a microwave.   Likewise pies are always a bit grim from microwaves.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »

Ready meals were crap 20 years ago, now they are excellent. Far better than a lot of pup type offerings.

Deffo, that looks more oven than microwave though

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »

A fair few supermarkets do smaller size bags you can put on a plate and zap in a couplke of minutes in the microwave.  It tastes better than boling it to death, though my kids would disagree.  I haven't shopped at Asda in years, but pasta in sauce is better than the likes of lasagne, as you never get the nice crispy bits in a microwave.   Likewise pies are always a bit grim from microwaves.

Yep, steered clear of pastry and the like for the microwave option

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »

No, it doesn't even have an oven option in the cooking instructions. Microwave only.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »

No, it doesn't even have an oven option in the cooking instructions. Microwave only.

Super, I may never cook again

sola virtus nobilitat
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »

What do poor people without a microwave do?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 09:40:00 PM »

What do poor people without a microwave do?

They can come round mine

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »

Just spend the week at Ralph's gaff. It's all cooking, eating, gambling and well informed conversation.

He's like what you would get if Antony Worrall Thompson and Vicky Coren had a love child.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »

Just spend the week at Ralph's gaff. It's all cooking, eating, gambling and well informed conversation.

He's like what you would get if Antony Worrall Thompson and Vicky Coren had a love child.

I'm sure he would have shoplifted a microwave for me by now..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: