blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  I Think This Deserves It's Own Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Think This Deserves It's Own Thread  (Read 5264 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »

I was wondering virtually out loud on another thread whether a triple-triple bingo at scrabble is rarer than a hole-in-one at golf.

A triple-triple bingo is making a seven letter word covering two red triple-word score squares using all of your seven tiles in one go.

The odds of a hole-in-one at golf are between 2500/1 for a professional and 12,500 for an amateur I am reliably informed via google.

I cannot find any approximate odds for the scrabble move.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »

People will be calling darts or chess a sport next!   Get this nonsense into the lounge haha
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:31:35 PM »

I've been playing Facebook scrabble v three oppos for about five years (bum hunting essentially).

Have played about 6500 games, with 7057 bingos.

I've only had two treble-treble (pfft triple!) words during that times, the highest scorer being 'browless' for 176pts.

They are rarer birds than white-throated robins.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »

Depends if you only count attempts were a triple triple can actually happen.  The vast majority of moves at scrabble it wouldn't be possible. 
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 03:38:28 PM »

I've been playing Facebook scrabble v three oppos for about five years (bum hunting essentially).

I've only had two treble-treble (pfft triple!) words during that times, the highest scorer being 'browless' for 176pts.

How many holes in one have you had?

I've been playing golf for close to sixty years, most of them as a single-figure handicapper(alas no longer) and have never had an ace although most of my golfing oppos have all had several.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:48:43 PM »

Depends if you only count attempts were a triple triple can actually happen.  The vast majority of moves at scrabble it wouldn't be possible. 

During a game of golf there are only 4/5 opportunities to record a hole-in-one, probably similar to the number of TTB chances in a game of scrabble.

Which do you think is more likely per game of each?

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »

Very, very hard to get treble triples. you need one letter dangling between the two treble boxes and it needs to be in the right place for your eight-letter masterpiece. The better players are less lifely to leave a letter dangling I guess.

I've had zero holes in one but did hit a green once.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »

During a game of golf there are only 4/5 opportunities to record a hole-in-one, probably similar to the number of TTB chances in a game of scrabble.

Which do you think is more likely per game of each?

Seriously wouldn't have a clue Ralph.  I'd say they both seem virtually impossiible to a regular player.   The hole in one maybe slightly more likely.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »

Picture the scene, Chomps playing online scrabble wearing shades, with his hoodie up, playing GTO, mobile 'phone sat on crotch a'la Postle, & giving his oppo rubdowns.

How COULD you put that J there you donk?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »

Surely the triple-triple bingo is either "On" or it isn't, whereas the hole in one is always on.

What I mean is, and I'm guessing here, on the average course there must be about 6 or so greens where a hole in one is a possibility, but in most games of Scrabble, a triple-triple bingo is not.

The older I get, the better I was.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 05:08:47 PM »

Picture the scene, Chomps playing online scrabble wearing shades, with his hoodie up, playing GTO, mobile 'phone sat on crotch a'la Postle, & giving his oppo rubdowns.

Do it all the time. Abusing Edna in the chatbox. Wtf you thinking of there ffs? Looooooool, you set me up. AGAIN. Clueless!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »

Surely the triple-triple bingo is either "On" or it isn't, whereas the hole in one is always on.

What I mean is, and I'm guessing here, on the average course there must be about 6 or so greens where a hole in one is a possibility, but in most games of Scrabble, a triple-triple bingo is not.

Usually, but not always, Tom, there would be 4 x Par 3's on a typical golf course, occasionally 3 or 5. It'd be a rare course that had 6 Par 3's. They sometimes have a driveable or short Par 4, but don't think that should be in the calcs.

Your point is no less valid for that though.

Good thread this.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 05:11:53 PM »

Do it all the time. Abusing Edna in the chatbox. Wtf you thinking of there ffs? Looooooool, you set me up. AGAIN. Clueless!

GL you beating Edna at Scrabble. Or poker. Or Kalooki.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »

Usually four or five short holes on a golf course.

Someone opens the outside at some point in scrabble and as long as there is one tile on the outside with the trebles open it's on.

I've had one career triple-treble and no holes-in-one but I've probably played a hundred times as many rounds of golf.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »

I love trying to work out the odds of things happening.

I recently tried to work out the chances of a pebble thrown from the thread of a car tyre hitting me in the eye while I'm cycling.

It's amazing how many variables you have to consider.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: