blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Central Heating Boiler losing pressure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Central Heating Boiler losing pressure  (Read 7290 times)
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »

All radiators now balanced. It was a bigger job than I expected, but more due to the sheer number of radiators than the complexity.

I’ll just wait now and see if that’s fixed the problem.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »

From Lisa.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »

1. that discharge pipe has obviously been leaking for some time
2. that is not how it is meant to be it should like an upside down L so any boiling water is discharged to the wall and the ground
3. could not see an inhibitor sticker on your boiler so this could be why the system is dropping down

If there is no inhibitor the water in the system just keeps heating up and generally evaporating similar to constantly boiling a kettle it will eventually empty
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 08:56:49 PM »

1. that discharge pipe has obviously been leaking for some time
2. that is not how it is meant to be it should like an upside down L so any boiling water is discharged to the wall and the ground
3. could not see an inhibitor sticker on your boiler so this could be why the system is dropping down

If there is no inhibitor the water in the system just keeps heating up and generally evaporating similar to constantly boiling a kettle it will eventually empty

1. I have never seen that pipe leak. The stain on the wall proves it has leaked in the past but could that have been years ago, before I had this problem ?
2. Sorry I don’t understand the bit that says ‘ is discharged to the wall and the ground ‘. Doesn’t the current pipe discharge to the wall and the ground ?
3. I’ve asked the plumber who installed the boiler if he put inhibitor in. I await his reply.

Thank again,
Lisa
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »

I don't know anything about boilers, but mine lost pressure so I dismantled it a bit and found an expansion tank with a car tyre type valve on it, so I connected a foot-pump and pumped it up a bit and it was fine for absolutely ages.

Eventually it did need pumping again but by that time the government had started a scheme whereby they replaced old, inefficient boilers with brand new eco friendly ones and subsidised like, 90% of the cost.

The older I get, the better I was.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 10:41:57 PM »

The plumber has just emailed me. Probably not fair on him to copy and paste his email here.
He said the boiler is over pressurising when hot and needs servicing. He’s coming in about two weeks and will add more inhibitor.
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »

1st Red dog your probably correct

2nd original poster look at the first and second answers you posted - your plumber said the boiler didn't need servicing also he needed an expensive bit of kit to test for leaks - a foot pump and a pressure gauge (£30) standard kit for a plumber.

Now he is saying the boiler needs servicing and is running hot. He is all over the place.

Do your self a favour and find another heating engineer look on the ideal web site they will have a list of competent  plumbers who are approved by them.

Finally just drain a bit out of a rad 1/2 cup full and go and by a £10 kit which will tell you if there is any inhibitor in the system
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 10:59:20 AM »

forgot to ask but when you had the boiler installed did they power flush out the radiators and pipework, which is a machine that is like a big hoover that gets attached to a rad and pumps the clean water round the system to flush out the old debris before fitting a new boiler.

Takes normally 2/3 hours and they would have listed it in their quotation if the did not this could also be the problem of gunk blocking the system causing it to discharge through the overflow pipe
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 06:41:22 PM »

forgot to ask but when you had the boiler installed did they power flush out the radiators and pipework, which is a machine that is like a big hoover that gets attached to a rad and pumps the clean water round the system to flush out the old debris before fitting a new boiler.

Takes normally 2/3 hours and they would have listed it in their quotation if the did not this could also be the problem of gunk blocking the system causing it to discharge through the overflow pipe

I agree with you re the plumber. I’ll find another one. No he didn’t do a power flush when he installed the new boiler. I did ask him to do one and I can’t remeber why he didn’t. I do remember him connecting a hose to the sort of bleed nipple on the pipe work and a lot of black water coming out but definitely no machine attached.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 06:44:25 PM »

I’m trying to resist asking you, if, by doing the pressure test, we find out there is a leak, how we are going to find the leak.

I wait until we know it’s a leak before asking you that Smiley
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 11:28:28 PM »

I do not think its a leak as i can not see an inhibitor sticker on your boiler i think you will find the system just needs flushing out filling with inhibitor and it will be okay.

If the air pressure drops you have to disconnect the pipework into sections and keep testing but to be honest if you had a leak even under the floor i expect it would have shown it self up by now as a wooden floor would start to swell.

When you had your floor laid was it floating (just laid on top of an underlay) or was it glued or was it nailed.

Most building questions I can answer
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 01:12:08 AM »

I’ll do your test for inhibitor this weekend. Even if there was inhibitor initially, I guess it will be very much diluted with all this constant topping up I’m doing. I’ll get a different plumber to do a power flush and refill including inhibitor. I’ll be very happy if that fixes the problem. Good to know you don’t think it’s a leak.
That’s interesting about pressure testing different sections of piping and eliminating sections that way.
The flooring was already fitted when I moved in but I believe it to be floating, not fixed.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »

I have a heating engineer here now. He has serviced the boiler. Part of this process increased the temperature dramatically. There was no discharge from that copper overflow pipe. It didn’t even get warm. I think that staining on the outside wall is from years and years ago and the previous boiler.
He’s going to do a power flush and add inhibitor.
I’ve asked him to do the air pressure test but he is reluctant. He said that will just tell us we have a leak. I said then we should isolate different parts of the pipe work and eliminate sections in that way.
He said we are doing the same thing with water and using the pressure gauge on the boiler.
He wants to dig up all the floors as well ! When I pushed him further he mentioned thermal imaging. Now he wants to put a sealant in the system. I
I really want to find the leak.
Does anyone want the job of finding this leak ? I live in Walsall just north of Birmingham and make good bacon sandwiches Smiley
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »

I have a heating engineer here now. He has serviced the boiler. Part of this process increased the temperature dramatically. There was no discharge from that copper overflow pipe. It didn’t even get warm. I think that staining on the outside wall is from years and years ago and the previous boiler.
He’s going to do a power flush and add inhibitor.
I’ve asked him to do the air pressure test but he is reluctant. He said that will just tell us we have a leak. I said then we should isolate different parts of the pipe work and eliminate sections in that way.
He said we are doing the same thing with water and using the pressure gauge on the boiler.
He wants to dig up all the floors as well ! When I pushed him further he mentioned thermal imaging. Now he wants to put a sealant in the system. I
I really want to find the leak.
Does anyone want the job of finding this leak ? I live in Walsall just north of Birmingham and make good bacon sandwiches Smiley

Apologies for being a bit late to the thread. On what basis are we saying there is a leak (from below the floor), ie did the second heating engineer suggest it?
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 09:26:49 PM »

Yes, the second engineer thinks it is a leak based on the fact that he couldn’t find anything wrong with the boiler. I specifically asked him to do an air pressure test when I booked him but when I pushed him today he said he didn’t have an air pressure gauge.
I think all I found out for sure today, is that there isn’t anything escaping through that overflow pipe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: