blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Central Heating Boiler losing pressure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Central Heating Boiler losing pressure  (Read 7294 times)
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 10:08:49 PM »

Yes, the second engineer thinks it is a leak based on the fact that he couldn’t find anything wrong with the boiler. I specifically asked him to do an air pressure test when I booked him but when I pushed him today he said he didn’t have an air pressure gauge.
I think all I found out for sure today, is that there isn’t anything escaping through that overflow pipe.

Cool. Sounds like you're not doing anything based off the original installers recommendations.

Putting in sealant is normal after a desludging. You'll be dislodging some debris which has found a home in the joints. Internal leak sealer helps cover minor leaks.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »

On the basis you still want to find the leak I'm going to assume you don't yet have a flushing date. If that's the case you could inject some leaksealer into system and see whether the pressure drops again.

Here's a guide https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk/support/seal-leaking-pipe

The off the shelf B&Q product https://www.diy.com/departments/plumbsure-central-heating-leak-sealer-concentrate-310ml/178337_BQ.prd

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 12:03:47 AM »

Thank you for your help.

So I should have allowed him to put the leak sealant in. I was really sold on Mikeys idea of the air pressure test. I booked the guy to do that job and then he turns up without the equipment. I didn’t have any confidence in him at all. I really want to find out where this leak is as there may be water damage that needs attention. I was concerned that leak sealant might just be a temporary fix.
I also booked him to do the power flush today but when he arrived he said he wouldn’t have time today and would have to do it another time. I won’t have him back so it looks like it will be guy number 3 doing it.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 02:45:43 AM »

huh, he doesn't want to be invited back.

just to clarify powerflushing only cleans and has nothing to do with finding or fixing a leak - except for them leaving in £8 worth of internal leak sealer at the end. i don't expect a heating engineer to carry it in the van and it's pointless if you're about to powerflush the system anyway.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 02:05:04 PM »

Can we have some pictorial evidence of the aforementioned bacon sarnies on the what's cooking thread please Lisa?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »

Do not put leak sealer in as you will only mask the problem,

Your obviously not having much joy.

Is the pressure still dropping or is it stable

Did you get the plumber from the boiler manufacturers list of installers if not why not

Who balanced the radiators for you - you really dont need a plumber to do the pressure testing you must know a friendly builder they will be able to carry it out without to much hassle
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 04:47:13 PM »

Do not put leak sealer in as you will only mask the problem,

Your obviously not having much joy.

Is the pressure still dropping or is it stable

Did you get the plumber from the boiler manufacturers list of installers if not why not

Who balanced the radiators for you - you really dont need a plumber to do the pressure testing you must know a friendly builder they will be able to carry it out without to much hassle

We're not poles apart here. If someone is beginning this from scratch they can phone up their boiler manufacturer and ask for the number of an official service agent. That individual would see the job through all the way to the end rather than what is happening here.

I'm with you on the friendly builder. The powerflushing thing is not an immediate requirement.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »

I balanced the radiators myself. It was time consuming but not difficult. If you are suggesting a builder can perform this pressure test, then I guess I can also do that myself. I’ll find some YouTube videos now.

Guy number one, who installed the boiler, was Ideal approved. I wrongly thought any heating engineer would be able to fix this problem.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/pressure-testing-heating-system.66946/

This suggests using air may be dangerous.

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:50 PM »

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/help-with-air-testing-pipe-work.124159/

Very interesting.
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 12:08:33 AM »

two things

nobody tests with compressed air listen to people on screwfix at your own peril i doubt if any of them are qualified

as a test just fill your boiler to 2bar then turn off the flow and return levers at the boiler leave all day if you can and see if the pressure gauge drops - dont forget to turn your heating controls to off then put a container under the discharge pipe outside go and turn the flow and return valves back on and fire up the heating

if the pressure drops check the container if its empty we can now rule out any boiler issues
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 09:20:55 PM »

two things

nobody tests with compressed air listen to people on screwfix at your own peril i doubt if any of them are qualified

as a test just fill your boiler to 2bar then turn off the flow and return levers at the boiler leave all day if you can and see if the pressure gauge drops - dont forget to turn your heating controls to off then put a container under the discharge pipe outside go and turn the flow and return valves back on and fire up the heating

if the pressure drops check the container if its empty we can now rule out any boiler issues

Thanks again for your help.

So, switch the heating off.

Fill to 2 bar.

Are the flow and return levers, the ones I used to fill to 2 bar ?

Put a container under discharge pipe.

Leave for as long as I can bear the heating off.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »

two things

Thanks again for your help.

So, switch the heating off.

Fill to 2 bar.

Are the flow and return levers, the ones I used to fill to 2 bar ?

Put a container under discharge pipe.

Leave for as long as I can bear the heating off.

Can I use the hot water during this time ?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
 Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »

Thank you Tom.

Kids are away for the weekend, so I can switch the heating off.

Pumped it up to 2 bar and put is a container outside under the overflow pipe.

All this was done at 10am this morning.

I’ll report back at 10am tomorrow morning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: