blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Central Heating Boiler losing pressure
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Central Heating Boiler losing pressure  (Read 7288 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2020, 07:49:24 PM »

So in 24 hours, with the heating off, the pressure dropped from 2 bar to 1 bar. There was no water in the container under the overflow pipe.

I’m going to put the heating back on now, I’m freezing Smiley
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2020, 04:08:47 PM »

Okay so over the period you dropped 1bar not good, now you have fired the heating back on what is the pressure gauge reading and is it dropping or just staying constant.

What type of property do you live in as i am baffled to work out if there is a leak why you are not seeing any signs of water appearing from some where also the fact you dropped 1 bar but did not go to zero is odd as well
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2020, 07:27:41 PM »

The heating is on now and the pressure is about 1.2 bar. This time tomorrow I would expect it to be in the red.

Large, five bedroomed, detached property built in the 1930’s. Flooring in the kitchen and utility is tiles and throughout the rest of the ground floor is solid oak planks, 100cm x 7.5cm x 2cm. I think the planks are floating because they move and I get annoying gaps.

Does a 1bar drop in 24 hours mean I’ve got a big leak ? How much water would that equate to ?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »

Hi Lisa, I don't mean to sound rude but I can't keep ignoring the Pete-sized elephant in the room.

How is my old mate?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »

Hi Lisa, I don't mean to sound rude but I can't keep ignoring the Pete-sized elephant in the room.

How is my old mate?

Have a look at your birthday thread and decide for yourself Smiley
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2020, 12:33:39 AM »

How is my old mate?

I had always assumed that Pete was a master of all things DIY.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »

Ok good news the leak is not upstairs or you would have noticed it coming through the ceiling

Whilst the heating is on fill the system to 1.5bar and then disconnect one side of the filling loop it has been know for the check valves on the loop to be faulty thus pushing the water back into the cold pipe unlikely but lets rule it out

Are all your radiators hot from top to bottom side to side when on or is there some cold spots

If you are having to re pressure on a every other day basis yes it is a big leak -

1930s houses usually well built do you have air bricks outside - if it is leaking though you would think you would start to smell an odour from the damp under the floor

However positive news is that should it be the mother of all leaks instead of ripping up all the floors and the upheaval that would cause you should be able to drop new pipework from the upstairs rads to the the downstairs rads that is providing you got the normal pine flooring upstairs
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2020, 11:05:46 PM »

Yes, all radiators are hot all over. I checked this and I’ve checked every bit of visible pipe work for leaks.

Can you explain ‘ disconnect one side of the filling loop ‘ please ?
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »

How is my old mate?

Unfortunately not. He has absolutely no idea how to do anything or how anything works. If I google a problem and watch the YouTube videos and explain it to him and then show him what needs doing, he is kind of willing to help. My Dad finds it quite incredible that Pete has never changed a washer on a tap. I think he has changed a plug but he would definitely ask me which way round the live and neutral go.
I did all kinds of jobs with my Dad as a child and because of that I just have so much more confidence. When tradesmen come to the house I always offer to help and I ask lots and lots of questions. Some will even let me do certain tastes under their instruction. Some like it, some don’t. I’m an acquired taste. Pete usually cringes and disappears off somewhere. I find it easy to ask if I don’t understand something, Pete would never ask. Male pride I think.

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »

Yes, all radiators are hot all over. I checked this and I’ve checked every bit of visible pipe work for leaks.

Can you explain ‘ disconnect one side of the filling loop ‘ please ?

Ok, I googled ‘ filling loop ‘. I think is usually a braided hose or pipe between those two leavers that I’m using to add pressure to the system. It’s connected to the mains. I think mine is actually rigid copper pipe but the good news is there are isolator valves there so I may be able to disconnect the filling loop once I receive further instructions from Mikey.
mikeymike2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »

Yes i can see your filling loop which is partly braided (bodged job) you are correct the whole pipe is braided and has a check valve built in which stops any water in the heating system entering the mains cold water.

The side you need to disconnect looks to be on the right as an educated guess it is the side that fills your return or flow pipe on the boiler side you disconnect the hose but make sure that you leave the shut off valve in place or you will be leaking like a sieve you should need no tools just dismantle it by hand
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2020, 11:23:42 PM »

Ok. So while the heating is on, I’ll fill to 1.5 bar and disconnect the right hand side of the filling loop. What am I expecting to happen or not happen ?

Thank you.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »

How is my old mate?

Unfortunately not. He has absolutely no idea how to do anything or how anything works. If I google a problem and watch the YouTube videos and explain it to him and then show him what needs doing, he is kind of willing to help. My Dad finds it quite incredible that Pete has never changed a washer on a tap. I think he has changed a plug but he would definitely ask me which way round the live and neutral go.
I did all kinds of jobs with my Dad as a child and because of that I just have so much more confidence. When tradesmen come to the house I always offer to help and I ask lots and lots of questions. Some will even let me do certain tastes under their instruction. Some like it, some don’t. I’m an acquired taste. Pete usually cringes and disappears off somewhere. I find it easy to ask if I don’t understand something, Pete would never ask. Male pride I think.

Smiley

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2020, 12:20:22 AM »

Tasks Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: