blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Kobe Bryant
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kobe Bryant  (Read 7736 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2020, 07:49:19 PM »

Rumours are circulating that Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash this morning.

The original source was TZM, hardly known for being reliable, so I hope it's wrong.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »

Multiple sources are confirming his death, but most seem to be relying on the original source.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 07:51:10 PM »

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1221518852783210496?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:55:40 PM »

It's all over Twitter, so much so that Twitter has broke.

Twitter is over capacity. Please wait a few moments then try again.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 07:57:40 PM »

SI are running the story now;

Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant was reportedly killed in a helicopter crash in California on Sunday morning. He was 41 years old.

TMZ was the first to report that Bryant was among those on the helicopter when it went down in the hills of Calabasas and a fire broke out. The crash occurred before 10 a.m. and the fire made it difficult for firefighters and emergency personnel to get to the aircraft, according to The Los Angeles Times.

ESPN, ABC and Variety also confirmed Bryant was on the helicopter.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »

Multiple sources confirming the news is true, & his Wiki page states he has died.

I don't know enough about NBA to comment properly, & we'll have to wait for Argue to put proper perspective on this, but for sure he was one of the most successful & talented NBA players ever.

I believe he spent his entire career with The Lakers.

Click to see full-size image.

AlbusFawkes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:21:57 PM »

Multiple sources confirming the news is true, & his Wiki page states he has died.

I don't know enough about NBA to comment properly, & we'll have to wait for Argue to put proper perspective on this, but for sure he was one of the most successful & talented NBA players ever.

Yes - all at the Lakers.

He was 3rd in overall points scorers until LeBron James overtook him this weekend.
He tweeted his congratulations.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 07:52:29 AM »

Yes - all at the Lakers.

He was 3rd in overall points scorers until LeBron James overtook him this weekend.
He tweeted his congratulations.

Also the US Dream Team for the Olympics

Click to see full-size image.

This is from 2012 - I don't really know enough about the game to 'really' appreciate how well they played  - but it looked good to me.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »

People comparing his death to 9/11, people receiving death threats for posting links to articles about him raping someone, journos getting cancelled for not conforming to the deification, people being doxxed for posting about his infidelities.

Have zero interest in basketball, but have heard of him. I have no idea of his standing in the game. Looking in from the outside it's the US equivalent of Diana.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »

Looking in from the outside it's the US equivalent of Diana.

This was exactly how I described it to my wife when the news broke last night.  I have zero interest in basketball, but had enough name recognition of Kobe to know how big a story this would be in the USA.

The BBC didn't exactly cover themselves in glory reporting this last night, as the playing footage in their report was of LeBron James, for which they subsequently apologised.

https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1221557555652153344

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:08 AM »

People comparing his death to 9/11, people receiving death threats for posting links to articles about him raping someone, journos getting cancelled for not conforming to the deification, people being doxxed for posting about his infidelities.

Have zero interest in basketball, but have heard of him. I have no idea of his standing in the game. Looking in from the outside it's the US equivalent of Diana.

I saw this morning that the BBC were "institutionally racist" because they had included shots of Lebron James in its report on his death.  I get the picture had James on his back, but what proportion of Brits would be able to pick out Bryant in an identity parade of black NBA basketball players?   I barely watch NBA and don't think I would have been able to 24 hours ago.  Is your average news reader or producer at the BBC going to be any different?  This is hardly Piers Morgan on Meghan Markle, again.

FWIW the footage was of James beating his record the other day, so I guess the context was lost in the rush to get the report on the evening news.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »

I saw this morning that the BBC were "institutionally racist" because they had included shots of Lebron James in its report on his death.  I get the picture had James on his back, but what proportion of Brits would be able to pick out Bryant in an identity parade of black NBA basketball players?   I barely watch NBA and don't think I would have been able to 24 hours ago.  Is your average news reader or producer at the BBC going to be any different?  This is hardly Piers Morgan on Meghan Markle, again.

FWIW the footage was of James beating his record the other day, so I guess the context was lost in the rush to get the report on the evening news.

Exactly that. It was the "script" that failed to synchronise with the footage, which was of Lebron beating Kobe's points tally the previous night, that was the point they were trying to make. It was a perfectly valid point to make but they did not execute it well.

I was following it all on Twitter last night & the vitriol aimed at the BBC for being "institutionally racist" was hysterical. There was nothing racist about it, nothing at all.

Twitter is, at the same time, both awful & wonderful.

As to the general noise around his death, I'm like many others, I don't have a great interest in NBA or Kobe, but there is definitely something about the sudden death of major celebs or sportspeople that clicks a "oh my God" switch.

I certainly never shed any tears, but it was certainly a wow moment.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:02:55 AM by tikay » Logged

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:19 AM »

re the james / kobe error.

i might be like most brits in that i know 5 basketball players: magic, shaq, kobe, curry and le bron

when i saw kobe trending, in my head i had it as it was le bron james - as in the best player to be playing the game today had died.

only when i googled him did i realise kobe had retired and it was le bron that was the current player.

it sort of lessened the WTFery for me as it was a retired legend that had died.

guess the equivalent would be the other ronaldo dying to an american in the red states.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »

Abso incred response to the whole thing. People who obvs know nothing about basketball and didn't know who he was until yesterday saying 'tragic' etc. Stiff upper lips must be brought back into vogue.

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »

I saw this morning that the BBC were "institutionally racist" because they had included shots of Lebron James in its report on his death.

I am a bold advocate for equality, but the BBC, like most media outlets, are very quick to jump on the bandwagon when someone is accused of being racist, misogynistic, homophobic etc when in truth it is often just a genuine mistake or badly chosen words.

He who lives by the sword....

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: