blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Getting into Golf
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting into Golf  (Read 15921 times)
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2020, 10:11:03 PM »

If you can do that on the short course, be amazed if you don’t break 100 pretty quickly on full course. Think you might need a harder goal!
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »

Played every day again this week.

Monday +4, 16 putts, 3 greens hit
Tuesday +8, 18 putts, 1 green hit
Wednesday +2, 14 putts, 3 greens hit
Thursday +5, 18 putts, 4 greens hit
Friday +1, 16 putts, 6 greens hit

A bit more erratic this week but today was definitely my best ever round. The first time I have hit 6 greens and could easily have been a level par round. Hit the last 4 greens and had a really good look at 6 and 8. Made a lovely birdie on the 3rd as well from just 5 foot.

I really understand the course now, where you can't afford to miss, how the greens run (awfully) and where the best landing spots are. It should be a matter of time before it comes together and can make a level par round.

The reason I am not getting carried away is that I play these rounds by gripping right down the club and making relatively short swings. That way, I feel like I have total control of the club head and can feel the distance. Once you need to hit it more than 100 yards then I have to lengthen the swing and that's when everything can go wrong. Lose control of the club head direction, the swing path goes crazy and it doesn't go straight.

I need to get back on the range and practice though. All I am doing is playing the par 3 course over and over at the moment trying to go low. I have a lesson this Sunday to work on the full swing. Hitting the main course next week for sure. Will be good to get an idea of where we stand on a full course. If I can get the ball inside 100 yards then will be fine but got to get there first.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how you get on when you play the full-sized course.

All of this pitch&putt practice won't do you any harm at all.

Looking forward to further updates.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 12:01:40 PM »

Good stuff this Mark. 

I'm a 16 handicaper but very erratic.  Normally play once a week, but due to COVID, have only just managed to get the clubs out.  First round was a total disaster off the tee, but short game was in good nick.
Second round was better, but managed to find what felt like every bunker on the course (and i'm hopeless in bunkers).

Keep up the good work.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »

Right. The best place to start with this post is right here:-

Click to see full-size image.
94" border="0

We shot 94 first time out on the course. No gimmes, no mulligans, off the mens tees. Same ball the whole way round. I am absolutely over the moon, not just about the score but the way I played.

Couldn't resist with the nice weather today so went for a 5,26 tee time. Took 3 hours to get round and I am beyond exhausted. It's the most exercise I have done in 5 years easily, legs are like jelly.

The longest club I took off the tee was a 6 iron, no woods in the bag. The majority of tee shots were little 7 and 8 irons.  I did a really nice job of keeping the ball in play, I treated the majority of holes like the pars were +1 i.e. 3 shots to hit the green on a par 4. It kept me away from trying to do anything silly. Ignore the fairway arrows on the scorecard, I got bored of keying those in.

My ball striking was good enough but not great. There were some lovely pure irons in there but a whole lot of left to ride big fades and a few tops off the tee. I got quite lucky with my misses on a fair few occasions.

My short game was absolutely A+. No 3 putt the whole round is something I am most proud of. On proper greens with ridges and slopes. My chipping around the fine too, nearly chipped in a couple of times and gave myself lots of good chances to make putts. Only one triple bogey and that was on the 17th - a hole that has water up both sides and I was bricking it knowing my score was solid. Played it really tentative and got punished.

Absolutely highlight was the 18th. A short up hill part 4. An 8 iron right down the middle, a pitching wedge to 20 foot and then dropped one in dead weight.

Very excited to show my coach in tomorrows lesson. Need to take a couple of days off as have now played golf 13 out of last 14 days. Let's go and break 90 I guess and might have to buy some woods.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »

Well done that man 

Deffo need some woods now.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »

I knew I didn’t like you

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »

Mainly posting to say Max looked adorable sorry for your loss.

From looking at the quick swing videos, my top tip would be to not take the club back too far. parallel with the shoulders is the common descriptor for where to stop, with the John Daly being wrapping it round your back and up your crack before unwinding it all.

The longer you swing the more chance of a cock up, taking a half swing reduces the options for error. you can slowly expand it as you get more comfortable and consistent. with a 50% swing you probably can hit 75% of your max distance. to get that last 25% you try really hard and your chance of inaccuracy goes up immensely.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2020, 08:11:17 PM »

Mainly posting to say Max looked adorable sorry for your loss.

From looking at the quick swing videos, my top tip would be to not take the club back too far. parallel with the shoulders is the common descriptor for where to stop, with the John Daly being wrapping it round your back and up your crack before unwinding it all.

The longer you swing the more chance of a cock up, taking a half swing reduces the options for error. you can slowly expand it as you get more comfortable and consistent. with a 50% swing you probably can hit 75% of your max distance. to get that last 25% you try really hard and your chance of inaccuracy goes up immensely.

Thank you. It hasn't taken long but my parents are now on the hunt for a Westie puppy. Unfortunately the Covid situation has meant that getting hold of a puppy is almost impossible, dog prices have nearly doubled as everyone is working from home and buying a dog. They are hoping to get one by October. I popped round for a cup of tea this afternoon and my mum was handfeeding and cooing over a couple of seagulls she has adopted. The best fed seagulls ever, they had steak in the week and left over lamb chop today! They need a dog.

I had a lesson today and we were working on exactly that. Getting the golf club travelling on the right plane and not overswinging and throwing the hands up high. That flatter baseball movement is what I am looking for and that stops the slice. I will put up some more videos as I get some cool slo mo videos as part of the coaching.

Going to take a break until Wednesday now then probably try and stick to at least one technical session on the range each week and the rest out on course. Going to invest in some woods in a few weeks after getting a few more rounds under my belt and get confident with the irons.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »

shorten swing + head still for 2 full seconds after impact can normally improve most players games by a significant degree, not just early on but in general.

by definition as you move into the woods you hit it further, which amplifies any inaccuracy.
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2020, 08:16:18 PM »

To have nothing worse than a double bogey in your first round back is actually ridic congrats
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »

To have nothing worse than a double bogey in your first round back is actually ridic congrats

Agreed, incredible performance. Some scoring, especially given 6I was longest club. Even mugged yourself off in the analysis by claiming you tripled the 17th when it was only a double.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2020, 11:35:09 PM »

Thanks guys, genuinely no idea that the 17th was a par 5 until saw your post. I really want to get a few more rounds in before getting too crazy, I think that was definitely right at the top end of what could be expected at the moment. Am sure I ran very very good.

Some cool videos to share from lesson yesterday:-

Ignore where the hands are going but this is such a huge difference to when I first started. You can almost draw a straight line down my right hip and you don't see any of that rocking backwards motion. I have to think about this on every shot and chant pivot like a mantra or I slip back into it. My natural movement is to want to rock backward all the time. This looks good though.

So here is the swing at the start of the lesson and the one that got me round the course on Sunday. This is probably the worst version of it. The takeaway is fine but it is obviously at the top of the swing where it gets messy then we get out of line on the way down and see variations on the baby fade and the big old left to right swinger.

This is where we got to at the end of the lesson. Note the weird ball position, for some reason I have this habit of aligning really close to the heel which got me too close to the ball and just exaggerated that steep downswing and slice. The fix with the low hands doesn't look that big but it really feels like your slinging a baseball bat. The difference is huge though, was pinging them dead straight and even some little draws. Really going to have to work to get this natural with all the clubs.

The course is only 5900 yards. I was hitting a 4 iron off the mat 200 yards. Bogey golf would get me an 89 and seems perfectly doable with just the irons in the bag. Let's see how consistent we can get the swing.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »

Small changes such as grip and positioning will have large consequences and will feel awkward. but you have to push through to reset your default to be more 'proper'.

Little bit more twisting motion with your hips as the rotation of the hips is where alot of the power through the ball comes from. Good progress so far  thumbs up
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2020, 10:34:33 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
98" border="0

Second round on the course and 4 shots worse than last time. A much more erratic round and when I got back in the car, genuinely thought I hadn't broken 110. I guess I remember the bad holes and not the good ones.

Compared to the last round where we didn't have worse than double bogey, today included a quadruple and three triples. Lost 4 balls in total. Ball striking was not great, probably due to the fact I hadn't played in a week and swing just felt very rusty, especially on the front 9. 

Really pleased with that back nine obviously especially given I thought my score was total garbage. The wind was really blowing today, lots of long holes into the wind that were a real struggle.

Enjoyed it a lot even though didn't play great. Lots to work on to break 90. Did shoot -1 on the par 3 last week which was pretty nice.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: