blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:18:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone play Contract Bridge?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone play Contract Bridge?  (Read 1577 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »

I used to play a great deal several decades ago and have recently taken an interest again and joined BridgeClubOnline.

I've just played a few social boards(it's all duplicate) and was surprised to discover that even in my rusty state I'm not out of my depth.

It's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours in the afternoons if any fairly competent player fancies partnering me.

I play basic Acol but I did used to play the multi-2D system when I played more seriously during the 1980's/90's.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:03:17 PM »

I play a bit

I have been working on my chess ranking in the evenings! (its all go...)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AlbusFawkes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:45:48 PM »

I started playing card with my parents from the age of 6. Whist & Bridge were common place along with allsorts of rummy games, although only really played Bridge properly from about the age 9.

Sadly, still working in the afternoon. Will look at the link.

As a family in the forces, my parents, brother & I would often play cards in the evenings. My parents also ran a whist drive from the Sgt's Mess which my brother & I attended as teens.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »

The online Bridge Club www.bridgeclublive.com are doing a special reduced monthly membership for £1 which finishes tomorrow.

Well worth having a look at it if you enjoy the game and have loads of spare time on your hands.

The website seems to run fairly smoothly although it did crash once briefly this afternoon.

The highlight of this afternoon's session was with N/S vul. My partner N opened 1D, E doubled, I redoubled with 12 points and 4xD, and all passed.

Partner made 1Dxx+3 for a score of +1880 and it was clear top having been played ~60 times.Smiley
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:37:40 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 07:14:30 PM »

I must say that this online bridge club has been an absolute godsend for me - I'd forgotten how much I loved the game pre-poker.

I played 24 boards this afternoon in the "social bridge" section with two different partners and the hours just flew by.

The site enables you to revisit the hands afterwards and follow the play card by card in case you think you or your partner made a rick.

I cannot recommend it highly enough if anyone has a taste for it - but I suppose it's a little passé these days.

AlbusFawkes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 07:43:57 PM »

On waiting list - no new registrations
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:09 PM »

On waiting list - no new registrations

I've just received a newsletter saying that they are admitting new members again from the waiting-list having improved the software.

AlbusFawkes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

I am 1056 on waiting list - still waiting to receive a registration link
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: