blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Guess the Answer: Canadian version
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guess the Answer: Canadian version  (Read 4859 times)
4KSuited

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »

The only way I can avoid the relegation zone of these quizzes is to run one. So, here’s a set of questions loosely related to Canadian content:

1. Wayne Gretzky is a Canadian GOAT. He held 61 scoring/assist records from his 20 year career as a professional hockey player when he retired in April 1999. He’s therefore worthy of two questions. The first is hopefully like the first question that you get on all the TV game shows: What was his shirt number?

2. One of many records that Gretzky still holds - by quite some distance - is the number of regular season (excluding playoffs) career assists. How many?

3. Sticking with the NHL, what year was it officially formed?

4. Canada’s border with the USA is the longest land border in the world. How many miles long is it?

5. Yes, it’s a big country, the second biggest in the world, but 90% of its population reputedly lives within 50 miles of the US border. What’s the population (in 000s) as at the 2016 census?

6. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is renowned to “Always get their man”, even though they only ride horses for ceremonial purposes these days. How many Sworn In (those involved in active police duties) members do the Mounties have?

7. Bryan Adams holds the record for the longest number of weeks at Number 1 with his 1991 hit (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, the theme tune to the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. In seconds, how long was the track on his album Waking Up The Neighbours?

8. Denis Shapovalov is one of two young Canadian talents to have entered the ATP top 20 ranks in the last year. He’s now the top ranked Canadian. How many ranking points does he have?

9. Dan Aykroyd co-wrote and co-starred in The Blues Brothers (a classic comedy of its era), following his success in Saturday Night Live and his friendship with John Belushi. Okay, so US$30m went a long way in 1980, but the film was a huge box office hit, and grossed how much ($m)?

10. Mike Weir is the only Canadian winner of a Major (2003 Masters). He’s a lefty, which is why he’ll always hold a special place. Even more of a surprise, perhaps, he’s still playing. What are his career winnings (US$000’s) to date?

Ideally, there needs to be a dozen entries to make it interesting, so I’m proposing a reveal on Monday 27 April in order to give you plenty of time to get some entries in, eh?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »

I'm in.

One relegation spot gone.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »

What.

Blue text
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »

Am I right in reading that for Q5 you want the answer in thousands? e.g. for 1,000,000 you'd want 1,000?

I've used the PASS you've just generously bestowed on us if so Smiley

Blue text
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »

Am I right in reading that for Q5 you want the answer in thousands? e.g. for 1,000,000 you'd want 1,000?

QUESTION/ANSWER UPDATE

Yes, you’re correct Cf, but I’m happy to make an adjustment to make the answer in Millions. I can see that it makes sense to do that - a little bit too swingy at the 000 level.

I confess that I put more effort into the research than in the measurement of the answers. Sorry.

Ralph, let me know if you wish to adjust your answer to Q5
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 02:23:47 PM »

QUESTION/ANSWER UPDATE

Yes, you’re correct Cf, but I’m happy to make an adjustment to make the answer in Millions. I can see that it makes sense to do that - a little bit too swingy at the 000 level.

I confess that I put more effort into the research than in the measurement of the answers. Sorry.

Ralph, let me know if you wish to adjust your answer to Q5

Assuming my answer had the multiplication correct(it is dangerous to make such assumptions) - feel free to remove three zeros.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »

in
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 03:12:19 PM »

WTF is this?

Can someone ban this idiot please?

(ps IN)

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 04:36:39 PM »

i'll be in at some point but i might not be any use

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »

WTF is this?

Can someone ban this idiot please?

(ps IN)

Bottom spot is locked up folks come in the water is warm!
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 10:57:20 PM »

There’s 6 entries so far, and as arb says, there’s no worries about being bottom of the pile with Celtic in the mix - so get cracking guys (& gals)

Come on Chompy, get your finger out!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »

very tough but in

are you Canadian sir?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »

Been watching Simon reeve's america series and think my answers might be even more terrible than normal.

sola virtus nobilitat
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 11:31:14 AM »

I have locked in bottom spot I could be out by million on all 10 answers including the shirt number

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: