blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Taking the Mick
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taking the Mick  (Read 3030 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/horse-racing-drone

An old poker friend of ours!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:08:02 PM »

He's gaining quite the profile after the Guardian article earlier in the year.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=68779.0

Who is still betting horse races IR from watching on the TV - how much money can Betfair be making from naive punters getting fleeced by the likes of Mick? Surely they'd be better off closing races on the off and allowing those punters to save their cash for the next race.

Or is it that there's literally no one betting IR except for guys who think they've got an edge on the latency, so all Mick is doing is fleecing the guys who are tapped into the satellite feed, in which case no harm done.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 03:43:31 PM »

There are still people who imagine it is a good idea to back to lay or vice versa and leave blind bets in the market, but it's not anything like the volume from past years.  There are some who study form and wait to bet until the early stages of the race, to see how it is developing - they are only a couple of seconds behind live, obviously at a disadvantage, but not necessarily terminal.  But the increasing lack of liquidity makes this a less attractive as time goes by.

I think they only way forward is to stop the 1 sec delay on bets going in the market.  The casual punters will get what they click on rather than not getting matched unless the market has moved away from them.  Whether the bots that operate in the IR market can still make a profit without cancelling bets before they are taken is the issue that vexes betfair (so the rumours have it) as they would maybe leave the market further affecting liquidity.
Pokitren
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:33:35 AM »

From this article:
The Gambling Commission...:“We do not consider it necessary to intervene to prevent some players using technology to gain an advantage in terms of speed of information, provided it is clear to all players that this can be done.”

Why not develop this idea and make all players aware of such opportunities?

There are still people who imagine it is a good idea to back to lay or vice versa and leave blind bets in the market, but it's not anything like the volume from past years.  There are some who study form and wait to bet until the early stages of the race, to see how it is developing - they are only a couple of seconds behind live, obviously at a disadvantage, but not necessarily terminal.  But the increasing lack of liquidity makes this a less attractive as time goes by.

I think they only way forward is to stop the 1 sec delay on bets going in the market.  The casual punters will get what they click on rather than not getting matched unless the market has moved away from them.  Whether the bots that operate in the IR market can still make a profit without cancelling bets before they are taken is the issue that vexes betfair (so the rumours have it) as they would maybe leave the market further affecting liquidity.

I doubt they will ever turn off the one second delay. Unless they turn off online betting, i.e., don't use any networks to accept bets. Otherwise, how do you avoid the natural delay?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: