blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:48:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Yorkshire
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yorkshire  (Read 5602 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2021, 09:20:33 PM »

It really is a shambolic club at the minute, but it has had a dark side for a long time. 

I have mentioned previously on here my experiences of the racism amongst the clubs supporters when I was younger.  They really did used to sing "Come on you whites, you all whites".  It is a long time since I have seen them play live, and these things are connected.  It was a standing joke for a long time how they failed to find any Yorkshire born Asians to play for them for some time, and the Yorkshire born cricketers policy was always a bit suspect. 

Anyway, I was wondering why Vaughan had said nothing about this.  It turns out, he has been named, and put up his defense, which is available for a short time on the Telegraph site.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/04/michael-vaughan-named-azeem-rafiq-report-totally-deny-accusation/?utm_content=sport&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636058895

Let us just say that he always seemed unduly harsh on Adil Rashid, who for a long time didn't seem to get a fair crack for Yorkshire and England, and is now one of the stars of England cricket.

Judging someone on a one off incident would be harsh.  Just leaving this this tweet here from the 1970s.   

https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/1070576772419219461  

One the great guys of the game .. What an innings from @cheteshwar1 ... Steve as the Yorkshire team call him as they couldn’t pronounce his 1st name ... #AUSvIND 
@FoxCricket   #Adelaide

But I think what Rafiq has said is right, the whole club should be looked at and not just the individuals who said this stuff and didn't seem to suffer any sanction.

I am from Yorkshire BTW, and used to be a big fan of Michael Vaughan.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 10:02:41 PM »

Couldn't happen to a bigger twat than Michael Vaughan

For a man who has an opinion about everything (usually 10) he was unusually quiet about this for an age

I can't help but think that with the ECB finally applying some sanctions to Yorkshire today that will ruin them financially they are being forced to do what they should have years ago

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 10:29:40 PM »

My nephew is part of the Yorkshire cricket pyramid, glad it is on me to explain all this to him.  Hopefully it will be a much better club if he ever makes it.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 08:40:07 AM »

These issues are rarely black and white. Britain, along with most of the western world, has a long history of racism, every pasing year it gets better through education around the palpable idiocy of judging people on the colour of their skin rather than the content of their character.

I really dont see the point of cases like this. I suppose we all get the opportunity to acknowledge again how historically racist YCC and Britain has been (barely news is it) but it doesn't really change the direction of anything for the future

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »

These issues are rarely black and white. Britain, along with most of the western world, has a long history of racism, every pasing year it gets better through education around the palpable idiocy of judging people on the colour of their skin rather than the content of their character.

I really dont see the point of cases like this. I suppose we all get the opportunity to acknowledge again how historically racist YCC and Britain has been (barely news is it) but it doesn't really change the direction of anything for the future

I think a lot of this can be resolved by just fessing up and saying times have changed.  Who hasn't made a bad joke that someone took offence to, or made some joke to a person of colour that had the potential to be taken the wrong way (am thinking the Vaughan alleged remark rather than Ballance's).

Rafiq is 30, so this is recent history, and it has allegedly affected his ability to play cricket now, so it is harder to use the Britain was different then excuse.   I know Rashid went through issues with Yorkshire in the very recent past too, and Vaughan has said stuff that could be viewed as racist very recently.

Anyway, looks like we are getting resignations from the Yorkshire board, so it is likely to change the direction of things.   Hopefully it won't just be those who realise they have done wrong that go.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 02:28:10 PM »

I think a lot of this can be resolved by just fessing up and saying times have changed.  Who hasn't made a bad joke that someone took offence to, or made some joke to a person of colour that had the potential to be taken the wrong way (am thinking the Vaughan alleged remark rather than Ballance's).

Rafiq is 30, so this is recent history, and it has allegedly affected his ability to play cricket now, so it is harder to use the Britain was different then excuse.   I know Rashid went through issues with Yorkshire in the very recent past too, and Vaughan has said stuff that could be viewed as racist very recently.

Anyway, looks like we are getting resignations from the Yorkshire board, so it is likely to change the direction of things.   Hopefully it won't just be those who realise they have done wrong that go.

Totally agree on the first para of course. Ive read a few of vaughans historic remarks/tweets and it seems like its reaching a bit to brand them / him racist but i can understand people see a pattern that would suggest he could think more carefully about what he says.

I struggle more with why a legal case, why now, but pretty happy to see the club given a hard time if it helps accelerate change

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 06:12:46 PM »

Pleased to see Goughie turned out to be one of the good guys.  He was on our table for one of the Betfair charity poker tournaments, and was class throughout, and even came and sat down to eat with the oiks at the bar in the break.

https://talksport.com/sport/cricket/975311/azeem-rafiq-darren-gough-racial-abuse-yorkshire-cricketers/

PS. Is there an easy way to link to a video in a tweet from here, had to give up?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 06:18:04 PM by Doobs » Logged

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 11:39:31 AM »

Some white cricketers in Yorkshire made some racist comments. Some white committee members didn’t take it seriously enough.

It’s hardly newsworthy enough to be the lead item on BBC National News is it?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »

It is, I think. Among many other reasons, all the parties should have known better in the first instance - particularly the Yorkshire committee. For as long as people continue to say things like “It’s just banter”, the longer the scourge of racism will persist in society.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »

Some white cricketers in Yorkshire made some racist comments. Some white committee members didn’t take it seriously enough.

It’s hardly newsworthy enough to be the lead item on BBC National News is it?

I can't decide what to really think about this as 'news'.

I genuinely despise racism (my heritage couldn't dictate otherwise really), at the same time I can also hold the thought that it exists, it's much less prevalent than it was, improving all the time and I live in a country which happens to be one of the most diverse, inclusive and tolerant in the world.

I do think the actual legal case is nonsense though.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 04:49:09 PM »

Sorry if we already mentioned it but the reluctance to have an overseas player was a clue. I watched two days of cricket when Tendulkar was playing for them and their fans were continually v racist. The context is difficult though, none of it is acceptable but loads of British culture was openly racist not that long ago.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 05:26:11 PM »

Sorry if we already mentioned it but the reluctance to have an overseas player was a clue. I watched two days of cricket when Tendulkar was playing for them and their fans were continually v racist. The context is difficult though, none of it is acceptable but loads of British culture was openly racist not that long ago.

Kuku!

I hope you're well.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 05:35:50 PM »

Kuku!

I hope you're well.

Incredibly I’m back to full health, it was not looking good for a while. I think of you often, especially when Jin Young/In Gee/Kev Na (and lots of others) are in contention😊
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »

Welcome back, Kush!!

Glad to hear you're fully mended, mate.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 06:46:44 PM »

Great to see you back David & thank you for that lovely PM. I'll reply later, was a lovely surprise though.

So good to hear you are better.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: