blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272575 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Personal Injury Claims
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Personal Injury Claims  (Read 2814 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »

I was wondering if anyone on Blonde has experience of personal injury claims as I am currently involved in one for the very first time.

I have a solicitor acting for me on what seems to be the standard 25% no win no fee basis for this kind of case.

It's pretty much an open and shut case as I have a witness, cctv footage etc. but the solicitors want me to take out insurance against "disbursments" which are costs which will need paying in the (very unlikely imo) event of my claim being unsuccessful.

The quote for this insurance which will be deducted from my 75% of the settlement is c£560.

The solicitors say that this is standard procedure but it seems like a complete waste of money to me.

Any experts in the blonde house?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 01:08:59 PM »

No win no fee should mean exactly that!

Do you need to use the ambulance chasers?

Your home insurance may have cover included, or you could potentially do it yourself.
Lots of advice and guidance here
https://www.gov.uk/compensation-after-accident-or-injury

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 01:50:48 PM »

Your home insurance may have cover included, or you could potentially do it yourself.

It happened in the lobby of my local Sainsburys and I am seeking damages from them so I do need legal assistance.

There was no sign in place warning about the very slippery floor and it should be a matter of how much the ambulance-chaser can get for me/us.

This expensive insurance feels a bit out of order to me as I see very little chance of it even getting to court let alone losing.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 02:09:44 PM »

That insurance will cover their costs - if you lose, they're guaranteed to at least break even.

If they break even in every case they lose and make a profit for every case they win then they're not going to do too badly.

FWIW I have seen some articles that suggest that you are more likely to get a higher payout through the ambulance chasers so it 'should' make it worthwhile

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 02:24:45 PM »

That insurance will cover their costs - if you lose, they're guaranteed to at least break even.

If they break even in every case they lose and make a profit for every case they win then they're not going to do too badly.

FWIW I have seen some articles that suggest that you are more likely to get a higher payout through the ambulance chasers so it 'should' make it worthwhile

I know what it's for.

I just think there is close to zero chance of my losing this case and that the insurance is a needless expense for me.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:50:47 PM »

I'm not sure that your brief should be insisting on insurance, if that's the case I'll represent you myself, what have I got to lose?

Find someone who will look at the evidence and decide it's so strong that they will be happy to to take the tiny risk of losing in return for the virtual certainty of gaining 25%.

IMO of course.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 05:10:26 PM »

What kind of damages can one get for something like this - does it depend on bone breakages, impact on life post the fall, blood spilt, etc.

sola virtus nobilitat
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 05:16:43 PM »

It happened in the lobby of my local Sainsburys and I am seeking damages from them so I do need legal assistance.

There was no sign in place warning about the very slippery floor and it should be a matter of how much the ambulance-chaser can get for me/us.

This expensive insurance feels a bit out of order to me as I see very little chance of it even getting to court let alone losing.

If you think there is zero chance of losing just engage with the solicitor and pay their fees, you should come out ahead.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 05:32:15 PM »

I'm not sure that your brief should be insisting on insurance, if that's the case I'll represent you myself, what have I got to lose?

Find someone who will look at the evidence and decide it's so strong that they will be happy to to take the tiny risk of losing in return for the virtual certainty of gaining 25%.

IMO of course.

They (the paralegal who is my only contact thus far) seem to think that this is standard procedure but I've not contacted her since she sent me the quote yesterday.

If it was £100 I would say okay but £560ish does not look like the correct price for what I think is a 100/1 shot.

The way I see it it's just a matter of how much the brief can get Sainsburys to pay as these claims almost never get to court and you only pay costs if you go to court and lose - although I may be wrong.

I think the ballpark figure is £10k but whether that is any wrist or a right-handed golfer's right wrist I'm not sure.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 05:47:12 PM »

What kind of damages can one get for something like this - does it depend on bone breakages, impact on life post the fall, blood spilt, etc.

My 22 stone mate came home from the pub as drunk as a fart and fell over a few yards from his front door. He broke his leg badly, a sliver of bone sticking out the side and everything.

No doubt anaesthetised by the alcohol he went into the garden shed, got a pick and levered one corner of a paving slab up, sprinkled a bit of blood over it, then lay down beside it and waited for the ambulance that his wife had called.

He sued the council for negligence and they folded like a cheap suitcase. To help decide upon the amount of compensation he received a form on which to list the activities that he used to take part in but could no longer enjoy. These turned out to be surfing, hang-gliding, ballroom dancing and trampolining. Who knew? I thought he was a big fat lazy fecker.

He got £5700. This was in 1985.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 06:18:16 PM »

I'm sure you'd rather have avoided the pain and inconvenience of what happened but I guess it's not an inconsequential amount at least

sola virtus nobilitat
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 07:53:50 PM »

I know what it's for.

I just think there is close to zero chance of my losing this case and that the insurance is a needless expense for me.

The aim was to point out that the reason for the insurance is primarily for their benefit - not yours

And as described, they would probably fold like you suggest - but it's not a 'no lose' case

The general principle of why they would lose is that they have a duty of care to their customers - the wet floor signs should be the normal mitigation for that

But personal injury claims have successfully been defended in the past where the defence has successfully argued that the plaintiff also has a duty of care to themselves - there has to be another factor for them to latch on to for this kind of thing to work though, like you were running, or carrying masses of parcels

But, to reiterate, this does seem clear cut and by the far the highest likelihood is that they'll just settle

I thought the biggest problem with this sort of insurance were no win no fee lawyers refusing to take the case if you didn't pay for the insurance - but I haven't completely kept up and it's entirely possible that they're not allowed to make it a criteria for doing the case anymore

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 08:08:29 PM »

I know what it's for.

The aim was to point out that the reason for the insurance is primarily for their benefit - not yours

And as described, they would probably fold like you suggest - but it's not a 'no lose' case

The general principle of why they would lose is that they have a duty of care to their customers - the wet floor signs should be the normal mitigation for that

But personal injury claims have successfully been defended in the past where the defence has successfully argued that the plaintiff also has a duty of care to themselves - there has to be another factor for them to latch on to for this kind of thing to work though, like you were running, or carrying masses of parcels

But, to reiterate, this does seem clear cut and by the far the highest likelihood is that they'll just settle

I thought the biggest problem with this sort of insurance were no win no fee lawyers refusing to take the case if you didn't pay for the insurance - but I haven't completely kept up and it's entirely possible that they're not allowed to make it a criteria for doing the case anymore

I think you've nailed it there Jon - sorry if I souded a little abrupt before but I was a grumpy old sod before this happened.

I  have been presented with this quote having had my case taken on and given them permission to see my medical history - I have been given 14 days to accept it, which sounds very much like a take it or leave it situation although I will obviously query that with the paralegal in due course.

The quote sounds like a one size fits all job rather than one which reflects the strength of my case.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 08:35:53 PM »

Obvious maybe but can you take the case somewhere else and see if there offer is more favourable

sola virtus nobilitat
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 09:06:12 PM »

Obvious maybe but can you take the case somewhere else and see if there offer is more favourable

Having set the wheels in motion with this firm taking on my case I am reluctant to take it elsewhere but it depends.

There doesn't seem to be too many decent options - it depends how sticky they are about this insurance and what they say when I tell them that I'm thinking about insuring myself elsewhere.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: