blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  When to 3-bet in No limit Cash (out of position)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When to 3-bet in No limit Cash (out of position)  (Read 2026 times)
geeforce1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »

I dont know if this has been said already, havent read all the posts.

IMO i dont think raise less and give up more preflop is the best solution. This just means tight passive in my book. if u r betting out with AK (not a bad move with 2 in) then u r wanting to simply take the pot down. however, it seems like u anticipated the reraise (in ur words a good aggressive player would make this play) so it seems that it is your post flop statergy is weak here. I certainly wouldnt want 2 give up here if i thought the button player was making a play. I think a check raise would suit for a couple of reasons;

1) You dont want 2 build a massive pot and while check raising does bump the pot up, it is not half as committing as raise, reraise rereraise. You only have AK, not a made hand, and surely aggressive players win big pots when opponants underestimate their made hands. If you play the hand as you described then you are digging a massive hole 2 fall into.

2) Either win or lose you may stop the guy position reraising (or at least make him think before he does so) , so u may lose the battle but the table doesnt get run over.

check- calling and then leading out on turn also works, but it gives a free card for button-boy to improve. Yes, u get a free card but if an ace or king hits it may kill any action VS a mid pp.

IMO People over playing AK is 1 of the biggest mistakes in nl cash games, how many times have you made money from a guy call in down with this unbeatable hand? therefore against ur aggressive/aggressive find out where you are as cheaply but as powerfully as poss. but by defending your hand here i think win or lose it is beneficial to keep the agg in check and setting him up for his whole stack when you get a hand VS him later on. dont let him set you up for your whole stack.

As a side note, u mentioned being weak on turn if he calls. well i think the check-raise has given you the info you needed. u may get a free river and potential hit ur ace or king, a high card like a Q may also give u a stab at a steal on the river but i think in general my breaks would be on thereafter.

gl well, i hope this player was meĀ  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 06:06:19 PM by geeforce1 » Logged
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 01:50:43 PM »

Unless you are playing short handed poker against hyper aggressive opponents its near impossible to win a huge pot with AK in cash. Bar the beautiful QJT flop.

Indeed. If you are playing AK 'properly', then when your opponent tries to put you on a hand, AK is the first one he'll pick. You can't win a big pot when you have the exact hand your opponent thinks you have.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: