blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Game for Life Update
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game for Life Update  (Read 773 times)
The Truth

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:11:13 AM »

Well here we are back after a wee holiday (for those who hadn't noticed Angie and I have been on holiday).

First thing I would like to do is give a brief run down on what charitable things we have done this year. So often on this forum the emphasis is on fundraising, however what we do with those funds is crucial to the lives of those that haven't been dealt the best hands in life. So here is a brief summary of what your support has achieved so far this year and some of the things we hope to do with your continued support. The figures in the brackets is how much in financial terms has been awarded this year.

Nepal - We are continuing to support the SANGA Medium School by sponsoring the classroom block that houses its Library, Science Labs and Computer Room. This facility has proved to have a fantastic impact on the students at the school (£200).

Nottingham City Hospital. 65 DVDs were awarded to the renal ward to complement the hand held DVD players we awarded for the use of children on dialysis in 2005. (£500)

Helen House Hospice, Oxford. We awarded equipment for their Complementary Therapy Unit (£700) and 35 VHS films for the children to watch (£75).

Sobel House Hospice, Oxon. A cash grant towards running costs (£150).

University of Wales Hospital - Childrens ward. This ward treats many children with spinal injuries. This means that many of the children are 'laid up' on their backs for weeks and months on end. To relieve their boredom and to improve their quality of life we awarded three PSPs and six games to get the wards collection off the ground. Already these items have seen a positive impact (£535).

Ty Hafan Hospice, Wales. Wales only children's hospice. Teenagers are often the most challenging people to work with in a hospice environment. Afterall remember how difficult it was being a teenager yourself and then try to imagine having a life limiting illness, one that will take your life, probably before you leave your teenage years! It is also perhaps the most difficult age-group to fundraise for. This in some part is due to the negative stereo types of teenagers we are bombarded withevery day. Ty Hafan have a 'Teenager's Den', a space they can call their own which is off limits to the younger children, which is in desperate need of repair. We have awarded a grant to help this refurbishment (£500).

Donna's Dream House, Blackpool. Provides holidays for children with life limiting illnesses. We are looking to support this project in several different ways and have already awarded a Toshiba Laptop Computer (£850).

Sri Lanka - Trying to get news from Bob Uppington our man on the ground in Sri Lanka. Last I heard was that one school was nearly up and another about to be started. I know for many of our supporters this project has been very frustrating, as the money was raised some time ago and the project had to be put on hold for a few months because of the monsoon season. It is nowhere as frustrating for us as it is for the kids, parents and staff who are desperately awaiting their new schools. Projects like this DO make a difference but they DO take time. One thing I can guarantee is that once they are up I will be swamping everyone with pictures etc. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WE ARE COMMITTED LONG TERM TO THEIR UPKEEP AND RUNNING.

All this is down to you guys (and gals) continuing to support Poker4Charity / Game for Life. Not a single penny could have been awarded without you! It may seem a bit cheesey but I truly thank each and every person who has ever contributed to Poker4Charity / Game for Life. I am very fortunate that I often get to see the fruits of your labours at work and I often wish I could capture the smiles and joy I witness and bottle it to share with everyone (yep it does sound cheesey!! but the truest words I may ever write).

The future looks bright for the charity. The next few months will require shed loads of work although we should see a rapid expansion on the fundraising side with the knock on increase in what we are able to achieve in service delivery.

Grant applications are starting to come in correctly completed and I am working on a number of projects. Perhaps the most exciting of these is Game for Life Sibling Services, but more about that later.

For now I just wish to thank everyone who has contributed to Poker4Charity / Game for Life (in whatever way) and to beg for your continued support.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: