blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272682 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Ryanair depressurisation emergency....
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryanair depressurisation emergency....  (Read 6600 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

There should be a recorded announcement that is played when the masks drop,...repeating what to do with the masks and explaining the plane will immediately decend to a safe flying level.

I don't think passengers have any doubt the plane is going to descend to a safe flying level.

It's stopping descending once it's reached that level which would be the area of concern.

That and if the drinks trolley will be coming round again before the end of the flight.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »

There should be a recorded announcement that is played when the masks drop,...repeating what to do with the masks and explaining the plane will immediately decend to a safe flying level.

I don't think passengers have any doubt the plane is going to descend to a safe flying level.

It's stopping descending once it's reached that level which would be the area of concern.

That and if the drinks trolley will be coming round again before the end of the flight.

too right.  I don't usually drink on planes, but made an exception flying to amsterdam during a thunder storm.  the terminal building had been struck by lightening and the jetty thingamejigs were out of order, so no planes could land.  the pilot announced that we would be circling until we could land.  He said that that should be fine, but we didn't have a great deal of fuel on board.  I called for the trolley.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

too right.  I don't usually drink on planes, but made an exception flying to amsterdam during a thunder storm.  the terminal building had been struck by lightening and the jetty thingamejigs were out of order, so no planes could land.  the pilot announced that we would be circling until we could land.  He said that that should be fine, but we didn't have a great deal of fuel on board.  I called for the trolley.

Did you survive?

HI HELEN!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »

Did you survive?

She did, just.  Unfortunately, 80% on board didn't make it.

Cry

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »

Did you survive?

Declared brain dead Sad

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »

Did you survive?

nearly didn't survive amsterdam!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »

Did you survive?

Declared brain dead Sad

how many points did you get on the blonde quiz today Rod? Grin

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »

A few less than you... fair cop.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »

Personally i'd put my kids on 1st then mine unless it was smoke filled,I mean it's not like it takes ages to put on is it?

In moments of high pressure situations everyone acts differently.

It's the chances of passing out while putting it on your kid, if it's not on them right and working before you pass out you could both die, and if it was on them could they get one on you quick enough if you've passed out?

To quote an expert:
Any delay in putting on the oxygen masks could have been fatal. "The reason you have to do it quickly is that, at high altitudes, the time of useful consciousness at best will be 15-20 seconds," says Captain Mervyn Granshaw, chairman of the British Airline Pilots' Association and a veteran pilot of commercial airliners including the Boeing 737-200.

"At worst it's three to five seconds - you can't hold your breath, it just comes out of you and then you fall over."

The effects of a rapid depressurisation at cruising altitude, which can be up to 35,000 feet above sea level for a commercial airliner, are shocking.

The temperature inside the aircraft will drop to -50C and the air pressure drop quickly brings unconsciousness.

There's damn good reasons for telling adults to do it first, it's the best chance a small kid has got.

Fair point, well made

my view has changed

ty

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »

BTW I can't wait for Flushy on this thread, the sarcasm will be oozing out of him.

lol this tilts me hard!!!

OK in a rapid decompression you have to get that mask on sharpish, you have very little time to do so, its based on your alt but at 35,000 you have between 30 seconds and a minute (if you are not very fit and a smoke could be less than 30, if you are a Olympic marathon runner you can probably go longer than a minute) if you want to start messing around getting someone else's on then you are playing a very risky game.

You will not die if you don't get it on in that time its the "Time of Useful Consciousness" after which you wont be able to get it on then a few minutes later you will be dead.

The altitude you fligh in Concorde at gives you between 6 and 12 seconds! Imagine helping someone then!

Once you get past 38k i think it is as a pilot you are required to be wearing a mask at all times just in case.

Obv this guy is an idiot and knows nothing of what he is talking about, no-one passed out that would be enough evidence to show that the masks all worked!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »

BTW I can't wait for Flushy on this thread, the sarcasm will be oozing out of him.

lol this tilts me hard!!!

OK in a rapid decompression you have to get that mask on sharpish, you have very little time to do so, its based on your alt but at 35,000 you have between 30 seconds and a minute (if you are not very fit and a smoke could be less than 30, if you are a Olympic marathon runner you can probably go longer than a minute) if you want to start messing around getting someone else's on then you are playing a very risky game.

You will not die if you don't get it on in that time its the "Time of Useful Consciousness" after which you wont be able to get it on then a few minutes later you will be dead.

The altitude you fligh in Concorde at gives you between 6 and 12 seconds! Imagine helping someone then!

Once you get past 38k i think it is as a pilot you are required to be wearing a mask at all times just in case.

Obv this guy is an idiot and knows nothing of what he is talking about, no-one passed out that would be enough evidence to show that the masks all worked!

How many cabin depressurations are actually full pressure loss though? Surely that would mean the whole plane would explode or implode, not sure which! I thought you normally get between six and 12 minutes to ge down to a safe height for regular crusiing altitude, that might include the decent though. The airflow through the masks is also supposed to be pretty light to the point where people don't think its working!  I think the pilot mask requirement must upwards of 42k otherwise you'd have some pretty uncomfortable long haul pilots with weird imprints on their face through customs.

I love flying but if I was decending 30k in three minutes I'd be worried the nose wasn't coming up.

wader leg

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »

Obviously I've never met Wilf and Freya but with names like that coupled with Daddys behaviour I can pretty much imagine what they are like.
Here's to a long and painful bout of earache.

Sealed Knot Society, let's see you do this one.
Luton Town V Millwall 1985
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »

Obviously I've never met Wilf and Freya but with names like that coupled with Daddys behaviour I can pretty much imagine what they are like.
Here's to a long and painful bout of earache.

POTM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: