blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 03:54:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  The dealer liked it
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The dealer liked it  (Read 3888 times)
Pyso

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »

Cash game at DTD £1/£2 - Saturday of the £300 deepstack weekend.

My stack is £500, I have not been at the table all that long but I have just fast played a set and doubled up through someone who couldn’t let his Kings go. I feel like a foreigner at the table, well the only local anyway - at least half the table is talking in a London acent - suffice to say I know nobody. Everyone is deepstacked and if the previous table is anything to go by, they like to gamble.

Very soon after my double up with a set I get       in the small blind.

There are two straddlers and an active player in late position re-raises to a rather odd £18. Button calls and so do I, mindful that I am out of position. The first straddler calls but the second straddler passes.

Flop is   

Pot is now £76

I lead out for £50. Straddler lets go, player in late position calls after a bit of a dwell. Button passes.

Turn is   Two Diamonds

I am not liking the diamond but at this stage I don’t necessarily put him on the flush just yet. Nevertheless, I am aware the pot size is getting out of control and I only have top pair top kicker, although to be fair, it is quite well disguised. I check.

He takes a while but bets £65, again an odd amount into a £176 pot. I wonder if this is a bet screaming to be called by someone who has hit the flush. Or is it the the weak bet that it looks by someone who opened with a marginal hand - after all if he had AK or a decent pair pre-flop I reckon he would have put a proper raise in.

I check to see if my ace is a diamond - it isn’t. I call, my thinking being that I am likely still winning here, but that the pot doesn’t really want to be huge given my holding. As well as the flush he could have a worse queen than me. Remember he probably won’t think my queen (if he thinks I have one, and my lead suggests I do) is as good as it is.

The pot is now £306

The river is 

Not great if he has KQ. For the same reason as before I check, intending to get a read on his actions and the size of his inevitable river bet.

He bets £155.

I haven’t seen much of this player as I am so new to the table. All I know is the other players have been giving him some stick for being slow and for being a card rack. He has a huge stack and doesn’t seem afraid to wield it.

He doesn’t look mega comfortable but he doesn’t look mega happy either.

I go into the tank, for quite a while actually. I apologise to the other players because I know they have had to wait (as have I) quite a bit recently. They assure me to take all the time I need which I take to mean 'please bust this guy and anyway he aint got anything…'

I start to look at how my hand must look to him. I think he must put me on a middling queen that can’t make a call for this much on the river.

What do we do please my friends? I will let you know what I did after a few replies.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »

Fold (check fold turn too tbh, you have no read on him and TPTK is not winning here surely?)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:10:58 PM by redsimon » Logged

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
chrisbruce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »

Cash games last night at DTD were so loose last night  A Q is the nuts here

easy call.

Unfortunately I couldnt hit a barn door and lost sucessive pots to 7 3 , 6 3, and 7 4...........all winning with 1 pair.

sorry wrong thread...........
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »

call then cry as he shows 
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

Cash games last night at DTD were so loose last night  A Q is the nuts here

easy call.

Unfortunately I couldnt hit a barn door and lost sucessive pots to 7 3 , 6 3, and 7 4...........all winning with 1 pair.

sorry wrong thread...........

Indeed, the games were crazy that night. It felt like Norwegian week, with a load of foreigners up, keen to blow a few quid...

This was one of the factors in my eventual decision to call. My opponent tapped the table and threw his cards in the muck. He said he knew I had a queen and fancied I could be persuaded to pass it. The dealer went over the top saying what a great call it was - I was happy with it obviously but it got me ruminating on what a fine line it can be sometimes. I didn't know that he hadn't raised me with two connected diamonds, say AJ, and I would have looked a tit if he had, but it just goes to show that although I was right on this occasion, one can never ever be sure and you're always making a call on what you think is most likely, not definite. I suppose that's why we like poker.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »

Cash game at DTD £1/£2 - Saturday of the £300 deepstack weekend.

My stack is £500, I have not been at the table all that long but I have just fast played a set and doubled up through someone who couldn’t let his Kings go. I feel like a foreigner at the table, well the only local anyway - at least half the table is talking in a London acent - suffice to say I know nobody. Everyone is deepstacked and if the previous table is anything to go by, they like to gamble.

Very soon after my double up with a set I get       in the small blind.

There are two straddlers and an active player in late position re-raises to a rather odd £18. Button calls and so do I, mindful that I am out of position. The first straddler calls but the second straddler passes.

Flop is   

Pot is now £76

I lead out for £50. Straddler lets go, player in late position calls after a bit of a dwell. Button passes.

Turn is   Two Diamonds

I am not liking the diamond but at this stage I don’t necessarily put him on the flush just yet. Nevertheless, I am aware the pot size is getting out of control and I only have top pair top kicker, although to be fair, it is quite well disguised. I check.

He takes a while but bets £65, again an odd amount into a £176 pot. I wonder if this is a bet screaming to be called by someone who has hit the flush. Or is it the the weak bet that it looks by someone who opened with a marginal hand - after all if he had AK or a decent pair pre-flop I reckon he would have put a proper raise in.

I check to see if my ace is a diamond - it isn’t. I call, my thinking being that I am likely still winning here, but that the pot doesn’t really want to be huge given my holding. As well as the flush he could have a worse queen than me. Remember he probably won’t think my queen (if he thinks I have one, and my lead suggests I do) is as good as it is.

The pot is now £306

The river is 

Not great if he has KQ. For the same reason as before I check, intending to get a read on his actions and the size of his inevitable river bet.

He bets £155.

I haven’t seen much of this player as I am so new to the table. All I know is the other players have been giving him some stick for being slow and for being a card rack. He has a huge stack and doesn’t seem afraid to wield it.

He doesn’t look mega comfortable but he doesn’t look mega happy either.

I go into the tank, for quite a while actually. I apologise to the other players because I know they have had to wait (as have I) quite a bit recently. They assure me to take all the time I need which I take to mean 'please bust this guy and anyway he aint got anything…'

I start to look at how my hand must look to him. I think he must put me on a middling queen that can’t make a call for this much on the river.

What do we do please my friends? I will let you know what I did after a few replies.

cliffnotes: tell collusion brag thread

Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »

Great post and good call.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »

blatent brag thread

Blue text
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

that said however, nicely done Smiley

Blue text
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »

Alex, do you prefer to check flop here or lead?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »

I was thinking this. I wouldn't lead here. And if I did I'd lead turn too.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »

I was thinking this. I wouldn't lead here. And if I did I'd lead turn too.

Yeah my default line in this spot would be to check to the raiser.

@GreekStein on twitter.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:17 AM »

leading out w/o history live is akin to burning money i think. I like c/r jam turn. Hard to get value from worse if we lead here (as it looks SOOO strong 4 way). HU i dont mind leading so much assuming villains are competent.
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:06 AM »

I knew I would get accused of bragging here. I wasn't really; I mean I was happy I was right but I did feel that the result didn't necessarily mean I had played the hand well.

Alex says I should check here to the raiser. Indeed, quite often I would do this but I just felt that the opponent would give his holding away a little in how he responded to a lead and he also looked the sort to try and get me off a hand.

I know it's a cliche, but don't I define my hand better by leading and also get a better read of the situation once he responds? If I check raise and then jam the turn aren't I only getting called by hands that beat me (draws that can get there by calling the check raise)?

I took the line I did, trying to follow the maxim "only get involved in a big pot with a big hand".
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »

I knew I would get accused of bragging here. I wasn't really; I mean I was happy I was right but I did feel that the result didn't necessarily mean I had played the hand well.

Alex says I should check here to the raiser. Indeed, quite often I would do this but I just felt that the opponent would give his holding away a little in how he responded to a lead and he also looked the sort to try and get me off a hand.

I know it's a cliche, but don't I define my hand better by leading and also get a better read of the situation once he responds? If I check raise and then jam the turn aren't I only getting called by hands that beat me (draws that can get there by calling the check raise)?

I took the line I did, trying to follow the maxim "only get involved in a big pot with a big hand".

This is a contradiction no?

You say he'll give his hand away. So if he has KK or AA and wants to raise does your lead tell you he has the best hand or do you chalk it down to him being the 'sort to try and get you off a hand'.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: