blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 02:33:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2649 2650 2651 2652 [2653] 2654 2655 2656 2657 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6365291 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39780 on: September 29, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »

A lad I play small-ball SNG's with - (he only plays up to £3, but I'm a High Roller, I go as big as £10) won a Freeroll yesteday using his "points", & ended up playing the £110 entry £30,000 Super Roller last night.

He was bricking it, & wrote to me for advice.

I can't give poker advice, all I could do was make soothing noises, "don't play scared, enjoy" etc.

First job I did this morning was look up the result - he finished 20th, for £278.

It's not exactly Plinop-land, but to a lad with a £20 or £25 bankroll, never paid more than £3 to enter any poker thing, that is HUGE.

We were all there once, too (I'm working my way back), do you remember the buzz you got from that first "big" win? I certainly do, every tiny detail, where what when & how.

Amazing how addictive it is too, once we've had that first bink. 

I'm still waiting...
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39781 on: September 29, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »

What do you think of Phil Mickelson's remarks regarding the US captain's role in their latest Ryder Cup defeat Tony?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #39782 on: September 29, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »

My 9yr old grandsons are both hooked on Minecraft and Clash of Clans**

I attempted to learn how it all worked so that I could join in with them occasionally. Epic fail.

The one that lives with us is especially hooked on videos by a gent called stampylongnose who makes a living through his YouTube channel.

See his interview on BBC Breakfast here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rICmWVI8Dm8

There are many others making similar videos.

** Clash of Clans isn't a sandbox game, it's more of a conflict/adventure game. Played on the ipad, you can download a basic version for free if you want to.

Yes I believe that is the one my son and his friends are mad about. I believe the guy started out making them and the language was not great and then he realised that the majority of people viewing them were young kids and moderated his language (I suspect he was just worried they would use rude words he had not heard!).

I have never played minecraft and can't say I feel the need to do so, I will just settle for beating my son at FIFA. Although I do miss the time when we used to play domino's or cards before they went to bed, I even used to let them win occasionally!!!!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39783 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »

In 2007 Microsoft paid $6.3bn for a company called aQuantive - five years later they wrote down the value of the acquisition by, er, $6.2bn...

They've also recently paid $7bn for Nokia, and that's hardly in robust health.

Ahh, gotcha, my Irony-Meter is in for repair.

I'm sure they make a mistake or two along the way, but when you make $22 billy in a year, as Microsoft do, they are hardly betting the shop. Maybe they collect a few duds along the way, but the end result seems quite impressive to me. 

Monopolies are great

To the victor, the spoils & all that, & if they beat the rest, good luck to them, that seems fine to me, even if the EC Commission takes umbrage with them.   

I have no issue with successful (near) monopolies such as Microsoft, Apple, google, & Ryanair.

I fancy we'd best not debate that one.

You feel we would violently disagree? I'm not so sure. Would you class either Apple or Ryanair as a (near) monopoly? Not sure I would.

I felt sure we would, & you with your long words & subjective contextual pronouns & stuff would muller me.

I was a tad tongue-in-cheek as to Ryanair, just being a little mischievious, as I admire their success so much.

From what I know of Apple (not much) I would have thought they were close to a monopoly, too. In my limited exposure to their products (I-pad), I'm blown away by how good they are. 

I had to do an "Update" to my I-pad last week, after which it seemed to be a bit flakey & jumpy by I-pad standards, bit like trying to place a bet with Corals website, 24 hours later, they issued a "bug fix", which sorted it instantly.

Amazon & E-Bay must be near monopolies these days too, both are so stunningly successful. If you want to sell something on the internet, e-Bay must be the nuts, surely?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39784 on: September 29, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »

In 2007 Microsoft paid $6.3bn for a company called aQuantive - five years later they wrote down the value of the acquisition by, er, $6.2bn...

They've also recently paid $7bn for Nokia, and that's hardly in robust health.

Ahh, gotcha, my Irony-Meter is in for repair.

I'm sure they make a mistake or two along the way, but when you make $22 billy in a year, as Microsoft do, they are hardly betting the shop. Maybe they collect a few duds along the way, but the end result seems quite impressive to me. 

Monopolies are great

To the victor, the spoils & all that, & if they beat the rest, good luck to them, that seems fine to me, even if the EC Commission takes umbrage with them.   

I have no issue with successful (near) monopolies such as Microsoft, Apple, google, & Ryanair.

I fancy we'd best not debate that one.

You feel we would violently disagree? I'm not so sure. Would you class either Apple or Ryanair as a (near) monopoly? Not sure I would.

I felt sure we would, & you with your long words & subjective contextual pronouns & stuff would muller me.

I was a tad tongue-in-cheek as to Ryanair, just being a little mischievious, as I admire their success so much.

From what I know of Apple (not much) I would have thought they were close to a monopoly, too. In my limited exposure to their products (I-pad), I'm blown away by how good they are. 

I had to do an "Update" to my I-pad last week, after which it seemed to be a bit flakey & jumpy by I-pad standards, bit like trying to place a bet with Corals website, 24 hours later, they issued a "bug fix", which sorted it instantly.

Amazon & E-Bay must be near monopolies these days too, both are so stunningly successful. If you want to sell something on the internet, e-Bay must be the nuts, surely?

Apple have a monopoly on apple products, but they are far from a monopoly in terms of smartphones and tablets. Android is a more popular platform.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39785 on: September 29, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »

What do you think of Phil Mickelson's remarks regarding the US captain's role in their latest Ryder Cup defeat Tony?

I was very disappointed in Phil, Phil. (ooh, that was clever). I spent half an hour researching the whole affair this morning.

Its one of those awkward spots, when you feel caught between two pals who fall out. (Jim Furyk intimated EXACTLY that).

I've always admired squeaky clean Phil, & to me, Tom Watson is the greatest Ambassador golf has ever known. So I was sort of in an awkward spot.

I guess Phil was bang out of order, tbh. Time & place & all that. He had no need to air the matter there & then, a word in private was all it needed.

You appoint a Captain, & that's it, off you go, you support him all the way, right or wrong. Dissing Tom Watson is like farting in front of Her Majesty the Queen. It's just not done. 

Anyway, did you enjoy the 2014 Ryder Cup? Have to say, for the bookies, it was a better result than last time. MUCH better. Wink

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39786 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »

For those who do not closely follow golfy matters, here's the transcript of the Press Conference.....

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/09/ryder-cup-tom-watson-phil-mickelson-paul-azinger.html

Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39787 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »

Phil is correct though the difference in 2008 was down to the captains.

It just wasn't that anything Azinger did had that much of an impact though.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39788 on: September 29, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »

Oh I don't doubt he was right, but that's not the point.

Time & place.

I bet Phil is regretting his comments already. If not, he soon will if Mr Chamblee Wamblee has gauged it right.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/brandel-chamblee-reacts-phil-mickelson/

Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39789 on: September 29, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

Time & place.

I bet Phil is regretting his comments already. If not, he soon will if Mr Chamblee Wamblee has gauged it right.

Don't think he was right on any level. The difference in 2008 was that Europe were captained by Faldo who was completely inept at the task. However the European players have done the classy thing (although they must have been tempted otherwise this week by some of his comments) and not aired any recriminations in public.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39790 on: September 29, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »

Time & place.

Don't think he was right on any level. The difference in 2008 was that Europe were captained by Faldo who was completely inept at the task. However the European players have done the classy thing (although they must have been tempted otherwise this week by some of his comments) and not aired any recriminations in public.

And there you have it.

It's easier when you have won though. Losing hurts some folks, a lot.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39791 on: September 29, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »

Time & place.

And there you have it.

It's easier when you have won though. Losing hurts some folks, a lot.

I much prefer a bad loser to a bad winner
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39792 on: September 29, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »

Purely as an interested observer had it in my top five sporting press convferences ever (Usain Bolt, Steve McLaren, a Kevin Keegan one, and one i forget)

apparently it was electric, a really crackling tense atmosphere

i think i would quite like to see it for all team sports

You've just been drubbed, all 11 in a football team are sat down either side of the manager and asked questions, see what the body language and responses tell you

Much better than the Geoff Shreeves (with the odd exception) line up in front of a media wall and ask them about an offside decision, penalty appeal etc

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #39793 on: September 29, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »

I'd write a detailed response about the modern world but I haven't for the time or patience.

TV Star Bedi wins.

You a Miinecrafter George?

I'm not but the three Bedi boys are every night without fail

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #39794 on: September 29, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »

I was very disappointed in Phil, Phil. (ooh, that was clever). I spent half an hour researching the whole affair this morning.

Its one of those awkward spots, when you feel caught between two pals who fall out. (Jim Furyk intimated EXACTLY that).

I've always admired squeaky clean Phil, & to me, Tom Watson is the greatest Ambassador golf has ever known. So I was sort of in an awkward spot.

I guess Phil was bang out of order, tbh. Time & place & all that. He had no need to air the matter there & then, a word in private was all it needed.

You appoint a Captain, & that's it, off you go, you support him all the way, right or wrong. Dissing Tom Watson is like farting in front of Her Majesty the Queen. It's just not done. 

Anyway, did you enjoy the 2014 Ryder Cup? Have to say, for the bookies, it was a better result than last time. MUCH better. Wink

I was a little stunned to be honest, lets be fair in the grand scheme of things Phil Mick is a golfing heavyweight and will go down as a great player when he stops playing but he is no Tom Watson is he?

It looked to be right from the Arsene Wenger school of deflection to me coz now the coverage is about the captaincy of a guy that will probably never be involved in a Ryder Cup again, not about the glaring deficiencies in the games of some of the US players who will play in it again. It's deja vu all over again, in 2010 Hunter Mahan cost the US the event because his short game and shot selection down the stretch against G Mac were shots that no European player would have hit.They were US one dimensional up in the air shots instead of what the Yanks laughingly call a more 'European shot' and were badly executed too. Fast forward to yesterday and Mahan's short game fell apart again. It isn't Tom Watson's fault that Mahan hasn't improved the weakest part of his game in the last 4 years is it?

There was a 5 minute spell of golf yesterday that started with Mahan taking 6 on the par 5 18th when in the middle of the fairway with his tee shot to Kaymer holing a pitch and run shot for eagle on the 16th that just encapsulates the whole US golf problem. Almost no players that play golf worldwide or even regular guys like us play the short game shots he played down the stretch, watch the shot Rose plays when short of 18 and the one Mahan plays from the side of the 18th. Then a couple of minutes later the shot by Kaymer for eagle is a shot the US players just wouldn't have played, and in some cases couldn't execute well anyway.

It isn't Tom Watson's fault that the US tour still mainly play golf courses that limited players can overpower, with very limited penalties if you hit a bad shot and people can make millions of dollars by hitting it as far as they can and flicking it on to the greens. Keegan Bradley could still be the stupidest golfer in the world as he simply hits every shot as hard as he can and treats golf courses like something he only has to over power instead of play. So when he has to then play golf he is lost. I thought it was fitting that one of the players most under the radar in golf Donaldson beat Bradley who's ability is really over rated because he is a brash gung ho American player and his two biggest tournament wins came when players leading fell back and handed him the chance to win.

I wouldn't be amazed if Watson, who has to be one of the best US players ever at playing every variation of golf was frustrated at how badly some of his players play real golf shots on real golf courses. Not the made for TV birdieathon's they are used to. They have changed it in the last few years tbf and are trying to toughen up their courses but they still don't require the skill set that it takes to play on various different golf courses around the world.

The most disappointing part of the week for me was the TV coverage, seem to have spent months bigging up the event but not many shots were shown live and why on earth couldn't there be a red button offering of each match when there were only four matches on course at an one time thru the first 2 days?

You used to be able to select any one of 8 champions lge matches at once(you might still be able to do that) and those games are ten a penny these days but that wasn't offered as an option on one of the biggest sporting events here.

I'm pretty sure it will be a losing event for most firms but the good thing is it will be a several million pounds better than the last one was!

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Pages: 1 ... 2649 2650 2651 2652 [2653] 2654 2655 2656 2657 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: