blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272684 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  This is reporting on immigration these days
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is reporting on immigration these days  (Read 3978 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »

wow..spot the tremendous amounts of mistakes in this one

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071211/tuk-foreign-workers-take-million-jobs-6323e80_1.html

"Foreign workers 'take million jobs'
Press Assoc. - 2 hours 35 minutes agoMore than one million of the new jobs created in the last decade have gone to foreign-born workers, a study has found.

According to an analysis of figures carried out by the Statistics Commission, 1.4 million of the 2.1 million new jobs since 1997 have been filled by people born overseas.

This figure includes many people whose parents happened to be abroad at the time of birth, but were nevertheless British.

The figures come ahead of the publication of a new report on the demography on the UK.

The National Statisticians Annual Article, the first in a new series of annual reports, gives an overview of the state of the population, using the latest statistics available.

Each year, the report by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) focuses on one specific topic. This year, it will look at fertility, and particularly the impact of migration to the UK.

The Department for Work and Pensions has said the figures suggesting that 81% of new jobs had gone to people born abroad were nothing new.

They were released in a parliamentary statement and widely reported in the aftermath of the row over the revised foreign worker statistics in October.

The Department for Work and Pensions said the Statistics Commission analysis showed they had been right to revise their estimates of the number of foreign nationals taking new jobs up several hundred thousand to 1.1 million in October.

Last month, figures released by the Government's Actuary Department showed the UK population could almost double to 110 million in less than 75 years. High immigration and fertility rates could lead to the number of people in Britain topping 108,700,000 by 2081."

the one that really gets me is "population could double to almost 110million "in less than 75 years..and of course High immigration and fertility rates (probably high fertility rates amongst immigrants) are too blame.
I can hereby predict that the population of the world in 2251 could be 51 billion..(I can also state that is is etremely unlikely...or even almost impossible but theoretically it is true..it could happen) and reporters like this would pick up on it. No common sense and a tabloid mentality.

oh and where does the 81% in this story come from..2.1mill jobs created in the past decade...can ANYONE point out a figure that comes close to 81% in this story?..surely they are not referring to the 1.4mill out of 2.1mill?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »

Got me bang to rights - I took 2 of them - greedy immigrant that I am.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:57:34 PM »

I did the same..well..just took one job.but took one of your women as well! ...*evil immigrant laugh* MHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:14:35 PM »

I did the same..well..just took one job.but took one of your women as well! ...*evil immigrant laugh* MHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There are jobs in Scotland?  Why are there so many Scots down here then??!!?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »

Because us foreigners keep nicking the Scot's jobs Smiley

jizzemm

BB6 Footy Winners - WALES.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »

You starting again kinfishi... Dewi will need another word with you about being racist !!  Wink

"I want to talk about my hand, what do you mean I cant talk about my hand, right im going to talk about the fact that I cant talk about my hand"...
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »

You need the increase on your average IQ. If you didn't you'd already have known that.

Acutally if it's since 97 I took a job in Englandshire as well.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »

You need the increase on your average IQ. If you didn't you'd already have known that.

It does explain why you are still in Scotland then, does it? Smiley

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »

Immigrants.... Grin

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

It does explain why you are still in Scotland then, does it? Smiley

Done my tour of duty down Sarf - considered it missionary work. it was more than enough.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »

To be more serious - the increase of this kind of reporting makes me want the reporters chargged with inciting racial hatred.

Read one in a red-top this morning (it was left on the bus honest).

"School Bans Christmas Cards to Avoid Offending Muslims"

Read the 'article' and you find that the school HASN'T banned cards - just asked for only one from each kid to all the class to avoid the popularity contests of who got the most & to avoid the poorer famillies who may not want to buy them being stigmatised.

The only mention of Muslims? An anonymous 'a parent' who says 'We were suspicious that is was to avoid offending Muslims'.

The reporter deserves charged for that peice of tripe that plays right into the hand of the BNP etc.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 03:04:04 PM »

To be more serious - the increase of this kind of reporting makes me want the reporters chargged with inciting racial hatred.

Read one in a red-top this morning (it was left on the bus honest).

"School Bans Christmas Cards to Avoid Offending Muslims"

Read the 'article' and you find that the school HASN'T banned cards - just asked for only one from each kid to all the class to avoid the popularity contests of who got the most & to avoid the poorer famillies who may not want to buy them being stigmatised.

The only mention of Muslims? An anonymous 'a parent' who says 'We were suspicious that is was to avoid offending Muslims'.

The reporter deserves charged for that peice of tripe that plays right into the hand of the BNP etc.

agreed..it is a joke and I always wonder wat the writer of that story thinks about it..I have a few friends tat studied journalism in school and they were all idealists.."reporting the truth" and all that stuff...how do you make the jump from being a proper reporter..someone who wants to do a nobel profession to Tabloid hack?

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 03:06:52 PM »

how do you make the jump from being a proper reporter..someone who wants to do a nobel profession to Tabloid hack?

move to Ipswich ?   

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 03:26:43 PM »

I'm very much with your views on tabloid journalism in general - but the first piece quoted by Boldie bears no resemblance to a tabloid article at all. You'd be hard pushed to find anything ever written by the PA (or any of the big newswires) that could be accused of that. I think you're probably right that there's a mistake in it (re the 81%). And I don't really like the use of the word "showed" in the stuff about the possible population increase, but otherwise there's not much wrong with this - they're just quoting someone else's numbers and they make that clear. It's generally a perfectly respectable, objective piece...
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »

I'm very much with your views on tabloid journalism in general - but the first piece quoted by Boldie bears no resemblance to a tabloid article at all. You'd be hard pushed to find anything ever written by the PA (or any of the big newswires) that could be accused of that. I think you're probably right that there's a mistake in it (re the 81%). And I don't really like the use of the word "showed" in the stuff about the possible population increase, but otherwise there's not much wrong with this - they're just quoting someone else's numbers and they make that clear. It's generally a perfectly respectable, objective piece...

I disagree, the headline's not objective at all. It's rabble rousing (or designed to appeal to rabble rousing papers and earn the PA money?).

And as Boldie said the speculation about population size is ridiculous. Especially as the opposite is being said in Scotland where we need the immigration due to lowering birth rates.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: