blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272675 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 623 624 625 626 [627] 628 629 630 631 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2209753 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9390 on: June 06, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »

The thing that worries me is that every time I see almost ANY politician interviewed on tv, the interviewer seems to know more than they do.

it really is the case that there is far more talent outside the cabinet/shad cab than there is in it, at the moment

this is similar to why polls are skewed towards the young.

I have 1 hour to prepare interview questions for you tighty.

the topic could be anything you are supposed to know about. you can normally guess what basic areas that will involve.

but I can just ask about some uncommon narrow aspect that is intended to throw you off.

this is ofc not me defending Diane shes an absolute farce but the point being that interviewers aren't know it all fuckers, they read an autocue (how is this spelt :s ) and off some hand written notes. turn the tables and ask them anything about all the subjects they studied at school and all the people they work with and their own role in the new organisation and it would be pretty easy to make them look the fool.  when making money and getting visibility is all you are after as a news network you aren't exactly going to try and bring about substantive discussion or give any leeway.

having said all this I absolutely agree about the talent never going into politics. it's a bit like if you cant do it, teach it. OR if you're an utter charlatan shit, go into politics and self serve.... (I might have made up that second one just now!).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: June 06, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »

"but I can just ask about some uncommon narrow aspect that is intended to throw you off."

you can

but she was asked about a report from last year by a Labour peer commissioned by Sadiq Khan in the area that in a few days time she will be in charge of, she hopes.

didn't seem to have a clue about it, what was in it or how even to bluff about it

Not exactly a topic off the beaten track!

if he had wanted to twist the knife he could have made up a recommendation from it, asked her about it, got the waffle response and then gone "ta-da,i made that bit up, gotcha"

probably took a will of iron not to

--

then you had andrew mitchell, tory, not knowing what the minimum wage was this morning (victoria derbyshire show), karen mitchell, tory, floundering on police numbers this morning (breakfast interview). both on the bbc

I am incredulous how under-prepared these people are

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9392 on: June 06, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »

The thing that worries me is that every time I see almost ANY politician interviewed on tv, the interviewer seems to know more than they do.

it really is the case that there is far more talent outside the cabinet/shad cab than there is in it, at the moment

This is very true.

I spose though, being charitable, MPs have to have quite a broad range of knowledge, they need to have an opinion on the state of the bin collections in their constituency all the way to the crisis in Syria. In the case of Abbott she keeps getting gotcha'd on stuff a future Home Secretary really should know. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »

bloody hell. going viral.

https://order-order.com/2017/06/06/corbyn-addressed-hundreds-of-al-muhajiroun-members-at-rally/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9394 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »

Is this the UK version of an October Surprise?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: June 06, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »

Surely you mean he addressed thousands of people at a Palestine Solidarity rally in 2002?  Nothing new here surely?  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9396 on: June 06, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

"but I can just ask about some uncommon narrow aspect that is intended to throw you off."

you can

but she was asked about a report from last year by a Labour peer commissioned by Sadiq Khan in the area that in a few days time she will be in charge of, she hopes.

didn't seem to have a clue about it, what was in it or how even to bluff about it

Not exactly a topic off the beaten track!

if he had wanted to twist the knife he could have made up a recommendation from it, asked her about it, got the waffle response and then gone "ta-da,i made that bit up, gotcha"

probably took a will of iron not to

--

then you had andrew mitchell, tory, not knowing what the minimum wage was this morning (victoria derbyshire show), karen mitchell, tory, floundering on police numbers this morning (breakfast interview). both on the bbc

I am incredulous how under-prepared these people are

yeh my second bit was about how I can and never will defend Diane. I just mean in general whilst you could expect certain questions it's easy to nitpick and expect exact figures when knowledge of that doesn't mean anything more than they learnt the numbers. Its not proof they understand the problem or have any interest in solving it. It's similar to the failings of our education system, teaching people to pass tests instead of educating them.

Andrew Mitchell seems to have done an Abbot here    -

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/872053352296833024
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: June 06, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »

In lighter news just drove past the TM battle buses outside the bet365 stadium in Stoke.  Assume they are rocking up to try and win a couple of marginals.  Amazing how many £80k BMW's and Merc's follow the bus full of hit men!  Why do they need such expensive cars for security?
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9398 on: June 06, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »

In lighter news just drove past the TM battle buses outside the bet365 stadium in Stoke.  Assume they are rocking up to try and win a couple of marginals.  Amazing how many £80k BMW's and Merc's follow the bus full of hit men!  Why do they need such expensive cars for security?

I imagine a tonne of bullet proof glass and steel wrapped round a Fiesta 1.0 doesn't move so well.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: June 06, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »

I imagine a tonne of bullet proof glass and steel wrapped round a Fiesta 1.0 doesn't move so well.
Grin  Thought we were in the era of cut backs though?
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9400 on: June 06, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »

profits and backhanders most likely...  

they could purchase in bulk cheaper more easily repairable cars for the services especially given that they constantly are put at risk and ragged to fk, but clearly there was more to be benefited from going for high end exceptionally expensive to run German cars.

Essex police has the interceptor unit which very sensibly have Subarus, cheaper and less expensive to repair than BMWs etc also has the benefit of the racing pedigree/4x4 and aggressive look so when one comes up behind you and you're in your shitty little fiesta the idea of getting away doesn't seem too realistic.

it seems like most armed/royal protection duty vehicles are 5 series and Land Rovers which fits the concept of over paying quite nicely.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: June 06, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »

Yep, Tories need to go for  Mogg/Gove dream ticket - I mean it, I really like Gove

Labour should get Balls back and go with him and the northern chavy girl that I can't understand but she sounds so confident

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: June 06, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »

they could purchase in bulk cheaper more easily repairable cars for the services especially given that they constantly are put at risk and ragged to fk, but clearly there was more to be benefited from going for high end exceptionally expensive to run German cars.

Essex police has the interceptor unit which very sensibly have Subarus, cheaper and less expensive to repair than BMWs etc also has the benefit of the racing pedigree/4x4 and aggressive look so when one comes up behind you and you're in your shitty little fiesta the idea of getting away doesn't seem too realistic.

it seems like most armed/royal protection duty vehicles are 5 series and Land Rovers which fits the concept of over paying quite nicely.

Yes, Good old Blair and Brown used to be seen in bullet proof Yaris's, I seem to recall. Always thinking of the environment too......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: June 06, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »

Yep, Tories need to go for  Mogg/Gove dream ticket - I mean it, I really like Gove

Labour should get Balls back and go with him and the northern chavy girl that I can't understand but she sounds so confident

Mogg FTW.  He would turn up to the debates even if he was advised not to just because he knows he would crush every other leader in sight with his intelligence.  Too clever and too well educated to run the country though we prefer 'men of the people' like Abbott and May!  It is incredible when you think about it.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9404 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »

Yes, Good old Blair and Brown used to be seen in bullet proof Yaris's, I seem to recall. Always thinking of the environment too......

nice but Hilary argument.

if you were paying attention my disdain was for all the turds in the decision making process not just one side. it is a classic theme of government that waste is good and serves a purpose. remember that many departments only get their budgets based on what they spent the previous year, therefore not spending the money provided means less funding so they ALWAYS spend what they are given regardless if it's an efficient use of funds.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 625 626 [627] 628 629 630 631 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: