blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272625 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Irrational Fears
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Irrational Fears  (Read 5788 times)
Sark79

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 01:58:15 AM »

I find this topic interesting.  While watching Kate Humble do her thing on Springwatch tonight, she mentioned the fact that many people don't like spiders. I like spiders and try to help them when I can. Providing housing and shelter for them ( under the washing machine in the utility and in the shed ).

One thing I don't like though is heights. I always find it amazing that so many other people are afraid of heights as well. Even when there is no immediate danger, heights are something that make me nervous. I know it is completely psychological, there is no more of a chance of me falling off a 1000 ft wall than there is from a 2 ft wall.  The only difference is my mental state.

Is there a fear that you can't explain?   I have no idea why I don't like heights.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:12:25 AM »

It's all about conditioning sark, you're just not used to standing on 1000ft walls, if you stood on one for a few hours every day you would lose your fear.

I used to work in high places, and the biggest danger was forgetting I was up there and stepping back off the ladder to admire my handiwork.

I used to know a lady that was terrified of red jelly, now that's irrational.

The older I get, the better I was.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:15:15 AM »

I used to know a lady that was terrified of red jelly, now that's irrational.

lol   it's the green stuff that get's me .  Nah, just kidding.  That is a really odd fear.  I like jelly

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:46:53 AM »

Alsatians and Rottweilers

Watching someone else have an injection(Can never watch casualty, not that I'd want to)

Shellsuits

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
wormster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:55:25 AM »

this is one for the golfers out there & something I'm suffering from myself "THE SHANKS!!!"  There is no real cause & no real cure - it's all in the head!!
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:01:55 AM »

this is one for the golfers out there & something I'm suffering from myself "THE SHANKS!!!"  There is no real cause & no real cure - it's all in the head!!

Standing too close to the ball.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 04:50:53 AM »

I agreee that a fear of heights is not really irrational. The head knows that 1,000ft drops are not too good for us, and so it's natural to be wary of such things.

Just like a fear of rottweilers, the head knows it's a breed renown for viciousness, a little bit of respect and caution is advisable.

Personally, I've got the whole claustrophobia thing going on.

I wouldn't go pot holing for 1,000,000 quid.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 05:07:16 AM »

I have an irrational fear of wasps/bees/any buzzing object to the extent I actually jumped into oncoming traffic to get away from one.

I have never been stung to my/or my mothers knowledge but I just freak out if one comes near me.

When my oldest was a toddler I actually ran in the other direction and let go his buggy while walking down a hill and if it hadnt been for a stranger catching the buggy god knows what would have happened.

I try so hard to control it and not pass the fear on to my kids but christ its hard.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 05:09:23 AM »

I have an irrational fear of wasps/bees/any buzzing object to the extent I actually jumped into oncoming traffic to get away from one.

I have never been stung to my/or my mothers knowledge but I just freak out if one comes near me.

When my oldest was a toddler I actually ran in the other direction and let go his buggy while walking down a hill and if it hadnt been for a stranger catching the buggy god knows what would have happened.

I try so hard to control it and not pass the fear on to my kids but christ its hard.

Get stung, realise its not that bad then carry on!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 05:12:16 AM »

HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO..........you are shit scared but then you think.............ok get stung and you will be ok!!!!!!!

So what do you do to get stung exactly?
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 05:16:42 AM »

Help out a Nigerian refugee who has millions of dollars, but nowhere to put it.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 05:20:17 AM »

now THAT is funny 
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 05:24:59 AM »

Look forward to more sensible answers tomorrow as it is a SERIOUS problem with me.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 06:13:22 AM »

I used to work in greenhouses for about 8 years. Each greenhouse used to have around 20 bee hives in order to help pollinate the plants.  That works out at millions of bees.  I was only stung once in that time.  Bees are good people and I became close to them during that time.  To begin with all I thought about were all the bees flying past me. In the end I didn't even notice them.

I was asked to go pot holing in Wales last year.  No way would I do that. I would hate to be confined in such a small area and wedged in between other people. I am not claustrophobic, but I don't like the idea of that. I think you are too far under ground if something should go wrong.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 06:18:32 AM by Sark79 » Logged
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 08:03:21 AM »

HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO..........you are shit scared but then you think.............ok get stung and you will be ok!!!!!!!

I am serious, if you were to get stung you would realise its not something to have so much fear about, and would then not have to panic.

Sounds like you are going the wright way though, rapid movement is a gr8 way to get stung.

Pothole's, where i used to live we had people doing it every weekend, and nearly every month there would be rescue services there trying to save someone! seems mad to me!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: