blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 12:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272921 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Making a move
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making a move  (Read 1502 times)
pswnio

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »

I was quite proud of this move, (it's the first time I ever tried anything like this), but although I think I played it well, it was risky. My main questions are:

a) what hand would have kept you in this if you were pkrkid1; and,
b) was it a good move or did I just get lucky?

Auxiliary info: average chipstack is around 5000. pkrkid1 is aggressive, defends his blinds and has made several roughly half pot continuation bets in the last half hour; if he hasn't taken the pot down with those, he's been taking them on the turn with another bet of just under half the pot.

Game #3027142624: Hold'em NL (150/300) - 2006/07/16 - 23:10:02 (GMT)
Table "£10K SUN GTD 3015808 - 8" Seat 7 is the button.
Seat 1: Haldolium (3730 in chips)
Seat 2: Anto19066 (6805 in chips)
Seat 3: Paul180 (8365 in chips)
Seat 4: Charlie09 (7537.50 in chips)
Seat 5: Big_tunna (5505 in chips)
Seat 6: Spadas (1885 in chips)
Seat 7: sixtimes (8520 in chips)
Seat 8: pokerfigh (3360 in chips)
Seat 9: pkrkid1 (10175 in chips)
Seat 10: __mac__ (1670 in chips)
pokerfigh: posts small blind 150
pkrkid1: posts big blind 300
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to sixtimes [As ]
__mac__: folds
Haldolium: folds
Anto19066: folds
Paul180: folds
Charlie09: folds
Big_tunna: folds
Spadas: folds
sixtimes: raises to 900
pokerfigh: folds
pkrkid1: calls 600
----- FLOP ----- [ Two Clubs ]
pkrkid1: bets 900
sixtimes: calls 900
----- TURN ----- [ Two Clubs ][]
pkrkid1: bets 1500
sixtimes: calls 1500
----- RIVER ----- [ Two Clubs ][]
pkrkid1: bets 2400
sixtimes: raises to 5220 and is all-in
pkrkid1: folds
Returned uncalled bets 2,820 to sixtimes
sixtimes: doesn't show hand
sixtimes collects 11550 from Main pot
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:28:11 AM »

The raise on the end is just too small. If you are going to make this move do it on the turn!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:41:16 AM »

Ta Royal. Sound advice as ever. I think if he'd had anything at all he'd have had to call.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:43:07 AM »

Ta Royal. Sound advice as ever. I think if he'd had anything at all he'd have had to call.

yep that is the problem, i think you were probably ahead!

Nice to see you giving it a go though! Poker suddenly becomes a lot easier when you realise you don't need cards to win big pots!

pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:48:16 AM »

I'm gradually getting used to the idea that you don't need the nuts to take a pot down! Am sure I'll make myself look silly a few times while I perfect the art though.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:23:05 AM »

I'm gradually getting used to the idea that you don't need the nuts to take a pot down! Am sure I'll make myself look silly a few times while I perfect the art though.

Just remember, if you go out with the best hand or the worst hand, it doesnt matter you are still out! I would rather go out making a move than trying to win a coinflip as a shortstack.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:25:06 AM »

Out of interest, what makes you think he was ahead?  Calling a big raise like that would have suggested to me that he has a fairly decent starting hand too and judging by the amounts called I'd be pretty sure that he had a king.  I can't see if he held a 2 or a 7 that he would have called the raise so I'd be thinking that he has AK or possibly KK, possibly even KQ or KJ if he wanted to defend the blinds.

After the bet on the flop didn't work I'd have checked and folded to a bet.  To be honest, with the chips you had I don't see why you'd want to make a move with A8 off suit against someone that heavily defends his big blind.  If I was going to do so then it would probably be for an above average preflop raise - say 5xBB rather than just a 2xBB call for him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:29:08 AM by Silo Graham » Logged

fishguts

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »

i agree with silo...absolutely no need to make a move when u are above average with 8,5K and blinds only 150/300...i just can't see what's the need to risk your whole stack on a bluff when you have a good stack...

and from the way he played i would have put him on 88 or 99 or something like that , he probably didnt have that since he should have called the river raise with 99 , but you just got lucky he didn't have anything...

if you want to play A8 after he leads off with a bet on the flop, i would have just raised him on the flop, and if i cant win it there i'm done with my hand..just my opinion anyway..not very important  Cheesy
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 11:51:12 AM »

Out of interest, what makes you think he was ahead?  Calling a big raise like that would have suggested to me that he has a fairly decent starting hand too and judging by the amounts called I'd be pretty sure that he had a king.  I can't see if he held a 2 or a 7 that he would have called the raise so I'd be thinking that he has AK or possibly KK, possibly even KQ or KJ if he wanted to defend the blinds.

He is not likely to pass a King on a K725K board for what is a min raise. Any pair is going to call him so i am pretty certain the guy doesnt have a pair which leaves AQ AJ AT A9 as the hands that are beating us but might fold the river. Likely that AQ would re-raise pre.

I am guessing he had something like 89 86 64 34 for a bluff then a str8 draw. Or maybe a smaller ace?

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 12:49:55 PM »

I agree with flushy (wow) that the river is a little too late for this, i think you would have been called by many players here with any type of hand because the raise is so little compared to the pot.
Moving on the turn gives aweful odds to pokerkid for any draw.
Nice move though.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 06:29:05 PM »

The more I examine this in the cold light of day, the more I realise how lucky I was to get away with it. I'm glad I did it, though; a good learning point. Thanks for the food for thought!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: