blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:59:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273467 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Tony G
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tony G  (Read 12018 times)
MrMoves
It's not the principle, it's the money

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2006, 11:02:27 PM »

Tom,

We'll have to have a longer chat - without the Internet - another time.

I have to be up early tomorrow.  Bizarrely, considering this discussion, I have to play in a TV tournament at 10am in London.  I'll try not to upset anybody though Wink
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2006, 11:10:58 PM »

It wasn't getting out of hand as far as I was concerned, but I have no particular desire to continue if you don't want to.

Your question "what makes us less of a gentleman" could bring about any number of responses, we could be at it all night! 

Who is and who isn't a gent is just a simply matter of opinion really.  Criteria for being gent is, again, a matter of opinion.

Well (In my opinion) behaving like he did does make him less of a gentleman than he would be had he not behaved like that.

The older I get, the better I was.
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2006, 11:19:16 PM »

why not ask the camel, if he has any recollections of Tony.......last time i heard he insulted the Camels Mother?

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2006, 11:22:40 PM »

Prob old news but after a bitova tilt last night thought I'd watch some poker instead and caught the final table featuring El B and finally heads up between Surinder S and Tony.

I generally like characters at a table - colour and all that. But I thought he was just a tad beyond the pale. Would be interesting to know if anyone here knows him personally and thinks he's a good egg. Mind you good egg or not still think he borders on the unwatchable and definitely unlikeable.

Didn't the hit stage show 'Muppetry of the Penis' originate in Australia ?

He is a gentleman who gets undeserved bad press from surprising quarters.  Don't believe everything you see on TV or read in forums.

I take it that "gentleman" is some kind of euphemism 

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2006, 11:26:30 PM »

Watching Tony this week, it appears to me to be emphaised when the cameras are around, which gives me the impression that perhaps it's merely a form of self marketing. He's probably more intelligent than we give him credit for...
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2006, 11:27:48 PM »

There is absolutely no excuse for Tony's actions in the Paris WPT or the Monte Carlo Millions. It really is as simple as that.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2006, 12:28:37 AM »

I guess my real thinking at the start of this was I dont really care if he was/is a gent or not.

What I care about is that there is no sanction to stop that kind of behaviour at the time it is going on.

Just the talking I found peurile but tolerable. It was the physical moves towards people I thought was overly pathetic and intimidating.

I know I woulda lumped him and taken a beating if necessary, always like a fight when there's plenty of people around to stop it :-)

I'm not sure lumping him should be considered any worse behaviour to be honest.

sola virtus nobilitat
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2006, 01:19:21 AM »

Why has knowone mentioned that he was absolougtly p**ssed out of his nut that night?
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2006, 01:27:59 AM »

Why has know one mentioned that he was absolougtly p**ssed out of his nut that night?

Because, unless he was force fed the alcohol, he is responsible for his acts and the consequences of it.

If alcohol was an excuse for doing anything in this life, we could have far worse people on the street who are released on a "iwaspissedmelord" plea.

It is wiser to let people think you are a fool, than open open your mouth and remove all doubt.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2006, 01:31:26 AM »

Why has know one mentioned that he was absolougtly p**ssed out of his nut that night?

Because, unless he was force fed the alcohol, he is responsible for his acts and the consequences of it.

If alcohol was an excuse for doing anything in this life, we could have far worse people on the street who are released on a "iwaspissedmelord" plea.

i wasn't proposing that his being drunk was an excuse for his behaviour, just wondering as to why such an integral part of the cause of his actions that night had been omitted from discussion.
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2006, 01:34:50 AM »

i wasn't proposing that his being drunk was an excuse for his behaviour, just wondering as to why such an integral part of the cause of his actions that night had been omitted from discussion.

Because whether he was legless or not makes no difference at all?
Being pissed won't excuse anything, so pointless having in the equation.

It is wiser to let people think you are a fool, than open open your mouth and remove all doubt.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2006, 01:58:16 AM »

Because whether he was legless or not makes no difference at all?
Being pissed won't excuse anything, so pointless having in the equation.

can you differentiate between an excuse and an explanation?

what your saying is that because this doesn't serve as an excuse its "pointless" to discuss.

How can you form an accurate and fair opinion of someone by discounting the main cause of his actions?
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2006, 02:04:18 AM »

If you cant handle the drink, then dont do it?!?!??

(Not aimed at Tony G or anyone in particular for that reason, just a generalisation about drinking)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:32:39 AM by M3boy » Logged
simonow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2006, 02:25:29 AM »

Sorry to upset you Guys but I have Played Poker with Tony G ,numerous times and he has always been a Gent but if you want to get nasty and horrible then dont do it to Tony, the same about Stephen Pearce, very nice people but if you want to mix up the verbal then you are outmatched.

Personally every player has there game plan and thieir's is the verbal game to get into your head, some players are rock and some play loose but everyone is entitled to there game plan.
Chubbs

p.s  just what i have seen
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 03:14:42 AM by simonow » Logged

check out www.dtdpoker.com for a chance to tour with DTD crew
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2006, 02:49:48 AM »

can you differentiate between an excuse and an explanation?

I can yes, an excuse is usually a reason for something not happening as it was perceived to. An excuse if usually a one off event affecting another event. Tony G in the press for his behaviour is not something too rare, therefore is it often expected and therefore cannot be an excuse. (flat tyre, too lazy, lost the address etc. are typical "excuses", whereas can't handle his drink, is an unsavoury character, has no respect etc. are "reasons")

what your saying is that because this doesn't serve as an excuse its "pointless" to discuss.

No, i think i have been quite clear on this point. If he chooses to drink, knowing full well what he is like when pissed (he will have grimaced at the tv a few times i'm sure), then he should be clever enough to not drink, IF the behaviour he shows when pissed is classed as "unacceptable" by himself. I believe there is at least one apology flying round on a forum somewhere, so he doesn't think he's the best behaved. Knowing this information, means if he proceeds to drink then he is accountable for any actions because of it. Unless he is force fed alcohol, he can't use this as an excuse.

How can you form an accurate and fair opinion of someone by discounting the main cause of his actions?

I think majority of people who find this man rude, will agree that the reasons for this behaviour reach far further than 5 or 6 pints at the bar. To be this rude this many times means theres something up top a little loose.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: