blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273519 Posts in 66761 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Tony G
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tony G  (Read 12032 times)
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2006, 01:22:48 PM »

I guess its each to their own... I for one find Hellmuth in particular, hillarious to watch. Its like pokers version of Trigger Happy TV.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »

I find them quite amusing but I do think it's out of order too.  It's like watching someone have a comedy stumble over.  You don't want to laugh but something inside finds it amusing.

It is abuse though, just with out the punches.  The table full of season pro's are probably used to the banter that happens but if it's unleashed on a novice, then it could have a dramatic effect on him or her.  I've only played live once and God knows I was nervous enough.  If I had that abuse aimed at me then I don't know what I would do - probably either become really quiet and tilt out of the game or tell him what I thought of him and end up getting banned!  I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.

There isn't any excuse for the behaviour and I agree that it should be down to the venue to deal with the matter.

Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2006, 01:34:48 PM »

Players like this give the game another edge, and like it or not, bad boys get TV time and not without reason.

Its all about personal opinion i guess. If i never saw him on a poker table again, it wouldn't affect my poker viewing at all.

One thing i do not know is how successful he has actually been at poker. This is probably due to me not caring as i just see him as a not very nice person.

When we watch men like Cantona, McEnroe, Hellmuth and Alex Higgins, we not only get their tantrums or moments of amazement for entertainment, we also get amazing play. What has he achieved in poker? it'd be nice to know, and therefore what has he added to the game? If he pisses more people off than he entertains, he hasnt been good for the game.

Can football fans think of anything Bryan Robson ever did?

To be honest on this when you say Bryan Robson to me i think this - one of the dirtiest central midfielders ever, however he somehow created this "gentleman" image and most of what he did, often went unnoticed because of it.

Like most things in life, don't do them to excess and respect the people around you as much as you possibly can.

It is wiser to let people think you are a fool, than open open your mouth and remove all doubt.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »

When we watch men like Cantona, McEnroe, Hellmuth and Alex Higgins, we not only get their tantrums or moments of amazement for entertainment, we also get amazing play. What has he achieved in poker?

I like that point. Its a good one. I was speaking in general terms about all the so called mouths. Hellmuth, 9 times WSOP bracelet winner. As for Tony G, I don't know, perhaps someone else can speak for him? Maybe you're right and he hasn't amounted to anything.

Can football fans think of anything Bryan Robson ever did?

To be honest on this when you say Bryan Robson to me i think this - one of the dirtiest central midfielders ever, however he somehow created this "gentleman" image and most of what he did, often went unnoticed because of it.

Like most things in life, don't do them to excess and respect the people around you as much as you possibly can.

You could probably liken that to some other poker players who mouth off accross the tables on a daily basis but yet do not get the crusifixion Tony G is gettin here simply becuase this happened to be the final table of a major event? I'm not trying to stick up for the boy, but someone needs to play devils advocate because this is very one sided tbh.
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

When you get the luxury to watch a genius at work and for 95% of the time they are on your tv, you are spellbound. It kind of makes up (wrongly or rightly) for the flaws in their character. In most cases of a genius, there is a subsequent flaw in their character. Its a bit like our maker says "i'm gonna give you an amazing talent at this sport, however because of this a flaw will have to be created in your character also, as i just can't make you that perfect. Prime examples:

George Best
Eric Cantona
Alex Higgins
John McEnroe
Jimmy White
Zinedine Zidane
Diego Maradona
Ronnie O'Sullivan

The list could go on. My main point is when we remember these people, they are recalled for their amazing talent and their flaw is the afterthought i.e. when we think of George Best, we think of him as a great footballer who had a serious drink problem and NOT as a piss artist who was great at football.

Now when I think of Tony G, i think of loud mouth with no respect (on quite a few occasions) who plays poker.

Sometimes in sport/entertainment you get people who try to fill the "bad boy" label, this is often due to them not being good enough at what they do, so they need the notoriety from a different angle.

It is wiser to let people think you are a fool, than open open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »

Bad boys of poker WPT event was the best yet...It's good to have characters in the game weather you agree with their antics or not.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2006, 02:04:30 PM »

Whilst I partially agree with the jist of what you are saying, I think again it boils down to personal opinion.

Lets go through your list:

George Best
Gifted on the field, however the only thing I really remember is how he royally fked up his life.

Eric Cantona
Two bit centre forward who did nothing in france, nothing at leeds and played for a central england based team who won lots of championships but had a shed load of championship winning players. Bit of a mouth, mostly remembered for kungfu kicking a fan on the terraces.

Alex Higgins
Class snooker player but too old for me to remember anything but when he nutted someone.

John McEnroe
You cannot be serious? Played with wooden rackets.

Jimmy White
Always been there, but what did he ever win?

Zinedine Zidane
I like this guy. Class player, one of the worlds best. Stuck up for himself when the going got tough and stuck the nut into an arrogant greasy italian. Beautiful.

Diego Maradona
Greasy argentinian witha drug problem and a fetish for using his hands to hit the football.

Ronnie O'Sullivan
Talented snooker play although bit of a sulker.

Whilst some of these players ARE good enough at what they did, I primarily remember them for what they did off (or on) the field of their chosen sport.
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2006, 02:31:36 PM »

As you say Mikky is all about opinions BUT also about your age group. With sportmen like Best, maybe you missed his footballing career (too young to have seen) and therefore only have the "drink" memory.

George Best
Gifted on the field, however the only thing I really remember is how he royally fked up his life.

Probably an age thing on this more than anything, anyone who watched him in his prime would have been looking forward to the game for days before.

Eric Cantona
Two bit centre forward who did nothing in france, nothing at leeds and played for a central england based team who won lots of championships but had a shed load of championship winning players. Bit of a mouth, mostly remembered for kungfu kicking a fan on the terraces.

On a footballing front, this guy was a genius. I will never forget his chip on the edge of the box and then putting his hands on his hips lokking round as if to say "did you see that?"

Alex Higgins
Class snooker player but too old for me to remember anything but when he nutted someone.

Age thing here again. When he won the world championship, he captured the hearts of millions, when he broke down into tears with his daughter in his hands.

John McEnroe

Awesome tennis player who often lost his rag with himself. Guaranteed entertainment.

Jimmy White

Jimmy is an exception. Made the final 3 times and should have won it at least once (great Hendry comeback).
For any snooker fan, he was the greatest ever not to win it. Still adored and cheered by fans to this very day. Many fans have him as their hero.

Zinedine Zidane
I like this guy. Class player, one of the worlds best. Stuck up for himself when the going got tough and stuck the nut into an arrogant greasy italian. Beautiful.

Although what he did looked terrible, deep down many understand it and are quite happy with it, once we realised what had happened. A legend in football.

Diego Maradona
Greasy argentinian witha drug problem and a fetish for using his hands to hit the football.

Two of the most remembered goals in world cup history. A world cup winner. A genius with a football, an absolute pratt on most other things. We wouldn't know about him had it not been for his footballing prowess.

Ronnie O'Sullivan
Talented snooker play although bit of a sulker.

Talented? talented? oh come on, this guy is more than likely the most gifted sportsman to have ever walked the planet. This guy is in the top 3 in the world when he plays left handed. Watching this guy play snooker is like poetry, not snooker. One of the best ever sporting talents without doubt.

Whilst some of these players ARE good enough at what they did, I primarily remember them for what they did off (or on) the field of their chosen sport.

"Good enough at what they did" is lame Mikky. These guys had you on the edge of your seat if you liked their sport. The word "good" and these guys does not mix, these were geniuses in their day. Millions of people wanted to be these people and replicate what they do. There were icons and operated at the very pinnacle of their sport.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »

he got duped into turning up in the Rio poker room in just his bathrobe..................And yes this man is smart

I do not deny he is entertaining, he is just that. I do however believe he is no gent!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »

Eric Cantona

On a footballing front, this guy was a genius. I will never forget his chip on the edge of the box and then putting his hands on his hips lokking round as if to say "did you see that?"
[/quote]

Like Beckham, he certainly did have his moments... but IMO overrated because he wore the red jersey of Man U.

Alex Higgins

Age thing here again. When he won the world championship, he captured the hearts of millions, when he broke down into tears with his daughter in his hands.
[/quote]

I remember the 1982 tourney when he won it (was it 82?), I was 5 so not old enough to apprieciate.

John McEnroe

Awesome tennis player who often lost his rag with himself. Guaranteed entertainment.
[/quote]

I do remember him playing. It was guaranteed entertainment but there where better players who played like gentlemen because they had the skills to do so Wink

Jimmy White

Jimmy is an exception. Made the final 3 times and should have won it at least once (great Hendry comeback).
For any snooker fan, he was the greatest ever not to win it. Still adored and cheered by fans to this very day. Many fans have him as their hero.
[/quote]

Yep, never won though. He should have wiped the floor with that pizza faced scottish git but instead he got his cockney ass whooped :|

Zinedine Zidane

Although what he did looked terrible, deep down many understand it and are quite happy with it, once we realised what had happened. A legend in football.
[/quote]

Its a one off incident too, he wasnt really known for being a bad boy. Came from a bad area though...

Diego Maradona

Two of the most remembered goals in world cup history. A world cup winner. A genius with a football, an absolute pratt on most other things. We wouldn't know about him had it not been for his footballing prowess.
[/quote]

Only two things I remember of this guy. Punching the ball into the net to cheat England out of World Cup Glory in 1986 and having a cocaine problem. Not a nice guy, and a cheat and a liar.

"Good enough at what they did" is lame Mikky. These guys had you on the edge of your seat if you liked their sport. The word "good" and these guys does not mix, these were geniuses in their day. Millions of people wanted to be these people and replicate what they do. There were icons and operated at the very pinnacle of their sport.
[/quote]

O'Sullivan, yes, Zinedine, yes. The rest of them where also rans or one particular overweight overpaid illicit drug abusing argentinian cheat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:01:57 PM by mikkyT » Logged
mjrevie

Hulkamania is alive and kicking!!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2006, 05:01:37 PM »

Getting back to the Tony G discussion  Roll Eyes , I dont like the guy, but i dont hate him either. Got basically three comments.

1. Like someone said, much much worse goes on up and down the country at poker clubs. This doesnt make it right granted but it should be taken into consideration. We also dont know his relationship with Surindar, is it possibly stronger than what we know and is that why Surindar was basically able to ignore most of it? We all know we can say certain things to mates we wouldnt say to strangers. Who knows? The fact that Surindar doesnt hold a grudge against him is one of the reasons i wont hold it against him.

2. We have seen a change in football over the last few years. Yeah, back in the 60's, 70's it was tough and people did try to provoke the opposition(dont tell me trying to kick someone ten foot in the air isnt trying to upset them!) but the style of it has changed over the last 10 or so years. Its much more underhanded as we saw with Materazzi. Is this just another case of trying to put someone on tilt (we have all done it) which went slightly too far? Come on he has apologised for it.

3. Is it possible a cultural thing as well? Again, this doesnt make it right, but in Australia winning is everything and what ever they can do, within the rules, they believe is ok. At cricket, the austrailians really wind up the english at the stump, but because it isnt broadcast audioly (is that a word?) then no one seems to care, but we know it goes on. Is this him just taking the rules to the extreme?

I know he has done wrong but he has apologised, Surindar doesnt hold a grudge and if DC requested that he became a part of Blonde for a while, he obviously holds him in high esteem. I think its better to look at the way he behaved as an example of how not to behave, but i dont think the guy should be crucified the way he seems to be on here. Just my two cents.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2006, 06:24:36 PM »

Cantona overrated - lazy defensively, never did f'all in Europe. No surprise Utd won the Champions League after he retired. People talk about overhyped English layers in Europe well this guy wasn't English but fits every other criteria for that category.

Jimmy White made 6 World Snooker finals and won every other event there was to win.

Anyway - that's stuff for the spots board! lol
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »

From the FAQ page on Tony G's website.

Q. Does TonyGPoker have a code of conduct?

A: Yes. All players are expected to behave as good poker citizens and treat all others with respect.....Targeting other players to distress or embarrass them is harassment and will not be permitted.

Smiley
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2006, 07:04:51 PM »

Cantona overrated - lazy defensively, never did f'all in Europe. No surprise Utd won the Champions League after he retired. People talk about overhyped English layers in Europe well this guy wasn't English but fits every other criteria for that category.

Jimmy White made 6 World Snooker finals and won every other event there was to win.

Anyway - that's stuff for the spots board! lol

this is getting way off topic, but i cant let this one pass -

So you are saying that a player in a team sport shuold be measured by what he wins (in terms of the top prize), but an individual sportsman should not ?thats beat me...

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »

From the FAQ page on Tony G's website.

Q. Does TonyGPoker have a code of conduct?

A: Yes. All players are expected to behave as good poker citizens and treat all others with respect.....Targeting other players to distress or embarrass them is harassment and will not be permitted.

Smiley

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: