blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 12:48:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272977 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  uk on critical alert
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: uk on critical alert  (Read 19609 times)
Mr F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »

There have been roads closed just round the corner from my house.  I don't know too much at the moment as I'm at work.  From what I hear there have been houses evacuated in the area. 

It's not an area I go to much nowadays but I have a lot friends idown there and used to help with the community youth club.  Seems strange for this sort of thing to be going on lacally to be honest.

"Love is better than a warm trombone"

"Table Tennis Rules, they're so confusing it's not played by fools"
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »

I had my shoes checked at Las Vegas airport, as did everybody going through security.  No problems with that, I had clean socks on.

I'm all for extra security.  I have nothing to hide.

a very good point only those with something to hide will be inconvenienced.

yes the "intelligence" have made mistakes but we have to put faith in them to do thier job otherwise who else is going to do it? do we justsit back do nothing?

mistakes will be made but lives will be saved in the long term and i think today they have foiled a very serious impending attack on the scale of 911 where thousands of innocent lives couldve been wasted.

instead of ripping them apart the security of this country should be comended!

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2006, 03:49:20 PM »

And if they're only right 1 time in 5, or 1 time in 10, won't that be enough?

Ban him!

And whilst we are at it, lets hang all convicted of murder. Theres no innocent here, and after all, 1 in 10 is a good figure, right?
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2006, 03:50:27 PM »

There have been roads closed just round the corner from my house.  I don't know too much at the moment as I'm at work.  From what I hear there have been houses evacuated in the area. 

It's not an area I go to much nowadays but I have a lot friends idown there and used to help with the community youth club.  Seems strange for this sort of thing to be going on lacally to be honest.

mrf which area are you talking about?

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2006, 03:52:44 PM »

roll on ID cards , biometric scanners , armed police patrolling every airport , train and bus station , cctv watching us 24/7

its all worth it if they stop the big bad terrorists , why should we have a life?

why should we have privacy and freedom , when '' they '' could strike at anytime.

you give up your freedom if you want , but I for one certainly wont be.

If thats what it takes, a minor inconvenience, to make sure I dont get blown up while taking a flight or train journey then so be it. Its not going to take my life away it is trying to protect my life you cretin. More and more people seem to think the government are to blame and not "them" (meaning the terrorists). Any man who is willing to give up his own life in taking yours is very hard to stop, if the intelligence gets it wrong a few times yet stops just one attack they have done their jobs. 20 people have been nicked today- in standard cells or 4 or 5 people thats 4 or 5 planes (around 2000 people) could have been brought down.

Ignorance abundant! Why do you think there are so much troubles in the middle east? It all started with this little thing called the British Empire.... strike that, it all started with the crusades......................

Of course the government is to blame. The US more than the UK but we are the yankies bitch so that makes us just as guilty.

I haven't even started on the oil.....
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »

yes the "intelligence" have made mistakes but we have to put faith in them to do thier job otherwise who else is going to do it? do we justsit back do nothing?...

instead of ripping them apart the security of this country should be comended!

Yes they should be commended, and yes they do make mistakes, but a lot people seem to think that the intelligence services should be connected to the media. You hear about all the mistakes because it's a good story, you only hear about a minority of the successes because they either affect day to day life - such as this threat, or they lead to a prosecution.

And I think it goes back a bit further than the Crusades anyway.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Mr F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »

High Wycombe, specifically Micklefield, also Totteridge, whcih are both by me but also Downley in the West of the town.  There was a Helicopter hovering over the train station this morning and there were more ni Micklefield.  It depends what you read and listen to but there are a couple of roads where mates of mine live that have been cordoned off.  And a local school that I do a bit of work with has been set up as an emergency post.

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2006, 03:58:54 PM »

roll on ID cards , biometric scanners , armed police patrolling every airport , train and bus station , cctv watching us 24/7

its all worth it if they stop the big bad terrorists , why should we have a life?

why should we have privacy and freedom , when '' they '' could strike at anytime.

you give up your freedom if you want , but I for one certainly wont be.

If thats what it takes, a minor inconvenience, to make sure I dont get blown up while taking a flight or train journey then so be it. Its not going to take my life away it is trying to protect my life you cretin. More and more people seem to think the government are to blame and not "them" (meaning the terrorists). Any man who is willing to give up his own life in taking yours is very hard to stop, if the intelligence gets it wrong a few times yet stops just one attack they have done their jobs. 20 people have been nicked today- in standard cells or 4 or 5 people thats 4 or 5 planes (around 2000 people) could have been brought down.

Ignorance abundant! Why do you think there are so much troubles in the middle east? It all started with this little thing called the British Empire.... strike that, it all started with the crusades......................

Of course the government is to blame. The US more than the UK but we are the yankies bitch so that makes us just as guilty.

I haven't even started on the oil.....

go hug a tree and read your guardian pinko

ariston

better lucky than good
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2006, 04:03:24 PM »

High Wycombe, specifically Micklefield, also Totteridge, whcih are both by me but also Downley in the West of the town.  There was a Helicopter hovering over the train station this morning and there were more ni Micklefield.  It depends what you read and listen to but there are a couple of roads where mates of mine live that have been cordoned off.  And a local school that I do a bit of work with has been set up as an emergency post.

sky news say there have been a number of homes evacuated in that area

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2006, 04:04:53 PM »

I don't read the guardian. I don't read any newspaper as a matter of fact, and I rarely listen to the news. The media has a lot to answer to in this country for causing far too many problems. BBC 24 is about my limit.

But take a look at the facts before you start your own ignorance fueled crusade. Religion has nothing to do with the problems we see in the world, it is always politically motivated. Religion is being used as a veil to shroud those motiviations and to brainwash the minds of young naeive men.

As for Newmanseyes comment, I do agree. If people move to this country they should be embracing our cultures and whilst I don't deny them their own religious beliefs and freedoms, they made the choice to immigrate here and if they don't like it then they should leave.

From the IRA to Al Queda, eventhing they do or did was for political motivation and personal gain, regardless of what banner they claim to be fighting in the name of their god through.
Mr F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »

sky news say there have been a number of homes evacuated in that area

That's what I've heard.  I've read that it's a road that I know a few of the kids I have worked with in the last few years live on.  Apparently the woods that back on the houses there are being thoroughly searched. 

According to the local paper's website, the worlds media is descending upon Wycombe today.  Should be fun.

turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »

throughout history it has been proven that most wars and conflicts have been driven by religion.

how mickyt can say this one isnt is bbeyond me.

yes i dont deny that its also politically motivated but to say religion isnt involved is in my opinion pure blindness or ignorance!

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2006, 04:10:59 PM »

There is some sense in what you say but starting it by stating,

I don't read the guardian. I don't read any newspaper as a matter of fact, and I rarely listen to the news....

isn't going to fill many people with confidence of your awareness of the bigger picture.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »

throughout history it has been proven that most wars and conflicts have been driven by religion.

yes i dont deny that its also politically motivated but to say religion isnt involved is in my opinion pure blindness or ignorance!

perhaps he should START reading newspapers and watching the news Smiley

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »

Up until relatively recently politics and religion have virtually been the same thing, and in some cases still are.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: