blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  All-In every hand to win a STT, possible?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All-In every hand to win a STT, possible?  (Read 6913 times)
Jonboy

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »

Is it possible to win a Single table tournament by going all-in every hand?

I recently debated (and then argued about) this possibility with my brother. He is adamant that you would win a few, based on some questionable reasoning including probability and even that on-line sites are fixed to pay out a little to keep you interested ... blah, blah, blah.

So I had to concede that given an infinite amount of monkeys, playing an infinite number of STTs (or however the saying goes) this would occur... eventually. To which he replied I was now being silly, it wouldn't require an infinite amount of games. 'oh, no' I said 'so how many would it take?' ... which is how the bet was born?!

His proposed bet is as follows ... I play 100 £1 on-line STTs going all-in every hand ... if I don't win one he will give me the £100 and I can keep any cash any for 2nd/3rds, if I win one I give him £100 cash and have to swallow any loss to my poker account for doubting his 'superior reasoning'.

I brought up the added cost of rake (£20) and he agreed to add that to the bet, I was also adamant that this made no sense as the method probably wouldn't produce a single money finish ... so he agreed to round it up to £150, ...

... 100 £1 STTs all-in every hand .... if I win one I give him £150 and suffer any loss to my poker account ... if there are no wins he gives me £150 (minus the £120 buy-in costs ... but I also get to keep the winnings)

This was over a week ago over a few drinks, and with my brother living over 200 miles away I thought nothing more of it ... until the post arrived this morning with £150 crisp notes, a SAE for his address, and a card that said

'Delete as appropriate'

1. I have bottled it and return your money admitting I was wrong and promise to never question your superior intellect ever again as long as i live

2. I foolishly took your challenge, please find enclosed your £150 + £150 of my own money for being so stupid

3. Please forward me another £150 for winning the wager (for legal reasons i should point out this will never happen)

Yours sincerely

The clever brother

Now I have never been one to back down on a bet (especially with my brother), in any case this has to be stacked in my favour?

Please tell me if I have missed anything obvious?

What do you think the highest finish position will be?

The first batch should take place tomorrow ... I will post the results as they come in

Regards

Jon.

The only thing that worries me is that this seems similar to Tanks STT strategy and he gets the occasional 1st. 
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:36:04 PM »

I would be surprised if you did not win at least one.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
Ginger
Queen of Purple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:37:10 PM »

Flushy and I have often done the 'all-in every hand' thing for a joke on many occasions, you may not want to hear this but one time he managed to finish 7th in a MTT!!! All-in every single hand.

So, take from that what you will, but if I where you, I would start making that withdrawl now..... lol
Good Luck (it's great fun too  Cheesy )

“Half a truth is often a great lie.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 11:41:32 PM »

You will lose. Out of 100 games u will win more than one, probably 3 or 4 imo.

ariston

better lucky than good
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:44:21 PM »

First of all 

Make sure you play on a site that does 10 to a table, to maximize your chances Wink

I don't like your side of the wager.
100 is a big number, you get hands too sometimes.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 11:47:13 PM »

I've read a thread somewhere about all in or fold every hand which worked out okish, never all in every hand though - can't see it working.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:48:38 PM »

Stars do 180 man sit n gos. You won't win one of those but 10 and below im sure you will win 2 or 3.
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 12:03:24 AM »

you'll win 2 or so, but not win many friends on those $1 tables Cheesy

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 01:29:08 AM »

Don't waste $100 when you can get on the 10c tables on tribeca

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 01:32:46 AM »

easy, ive seen it happen.

6 runner £20 on crypto early doors everyone is tight.

all of a sudden one guys going all in every hand, knocks 2 out.

other players at the table comment WTF?

he says: "client has turned up, have to go"

everyone saying " just f**K off then"!!!!!

he knocks all 3 of us out and wins the tourney in10 hands when going into every race as a dog.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 02:44:52 AM »

Someone said that at a table I was on once, we were five handed, the blinds were hefty enough that he had a very real chance of cashing with this tactic.

Fatal mistake telling us he was in a hurry though, this is a game of information. No need to give out more than you have to.

Two players at the table who had position at the table for his dead chips just waited the full 30 seconds before folding. The all-in busy monkey buggered off and left us to squabble over his blinds.

gg  Cool

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 02:51:44 AM »

Someone said that at a table I was on once, we were five handed, the blinds were hefty enough that he had a very real chance of cashing with this tactic.

Fatal mistake telling us he was in a hurry though, this is a game of information. No need to give out more than you have to.

Two players at the table who had position at the table for his dead chips just waited the full 30 seconds before folding. The all-in busy monkey buggered off and left us to squabble over his blinds.

gg  Cool

the thing about this was though i genuinely believe the guy had to go!

I had notes on him as tag and the first level had past as normal, he was genuinely trying to lose so he could go.

he won every race and took down the tourney b4 the blinds hit 25/50

he was even saying: "sorry" thats why the other guys were saying to him: "if you are sorry why dont you just p**s off and sit out".

TBH i thought it was funny.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 02:52:18 AM »

I once played one on pacific and everyone was allin first hand!!!!!!!!
Only 1 winner...........

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 03:01:36 AM »

My point is, if you're ever in a sit n go and need to wrap things up due to another commitment, ffs don't tell everyone that's what you're doing.
Especially if it's still the early levels. You can make that buy-in you inevitably lose back, when a couple of guys put notes on you saying "nutter when the blinds are still small."

I once played one on pacific and everyone was allin first hand!!!!!!!!
Only 1 winner...........

Nothing so bad as that. But I've seen a tourney where 7 went all-in first hand on Party. This was in the good ol' days, when there were no "How to play sit n gos" articles freely available on 2+2.

No arrangement to do so (as far as I could see) just a lot of mis-percieved valooooooo.  won the pot with a full house

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 03:06:10 AM »

My point is, if you're ever in a sit n go and need to wrap things up due to another commitment, ffs don't tell everyone that's what you're doing.
Especially if it's still the early levels. You can make that buy-in you inevitably lose back, when a couple of guys put notes on you saying "nutter when the blinds are still small."

Maybe he just wanted to impress the £20 level players by pretending he was important enough to have clients!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: