blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 09:09:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1942247 Posts in 62007 Topics by 18417 Members
Latest Member: Juan jose repor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
Dusk Till Dawn Poker
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Home Computer setup
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Home Computer setup  (Read 1687 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2005, 02:20:39 PM »

Right - at long last I'm looking at getting back online from home & playing a bit more poker (it's been live games only since I moved into my flat back in Nov). Before the TPT guys start - YES, I'm a comminications Engineer & YES it's just typical that the last thing I'd sort out would be phone line & broadband.  Roll Eyes

So anyone playing a lot online got any recommendations on computers/broadband suppliers/ handy gadgets etc?

Cheers,

Rod

Pity the sad creatures who feel the need to degrade the happiness of others in order to feel better about their own existence. Forgive them their false pride in their 'honesty'. Wish them the ability to be honest with themselves and the chance to feel real happiness not selfish smugness.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »

Best advice i can give you is ... Get a comfy computer chair, it really is money well spent, when you consider how long some comps take, comfort is a prority Smiley

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 02:32:14 PM »

Best advice i can give you is ... Get a comfy computer chair, it really is money well spent, when you consider how long some comps take, comfort is a prority Smiley

Was thinking of a wireless keyboard & mouse  - then sitting on the couch with the computer using the 32 inch LCD in the living room  Grin

That would stop me watching telly when I should be concentrating.

Pity the sad creatures who feel the need to degrade the happiness of others in order to feel better about their own existence. Forgive them their false pride in their 'honesty'. Wish them the ability to be honest with themselves and the chance to feel real happiness not selfish smugness.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:36:01 PM »

Get  good, quiet, wireless laptop, then you can bugger off when people are distracting you, and, if you go away, you can take it with you

Yo
jammer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 02:38:18 PM »

wireless. without question.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:42:12 PM »

i 2nd, 3rd and 4th the wireless. an absolute must!
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »

Acer Travelmate 4500, whisper quiet, dosnt get hot, its fast and has  3 hours battery life

Yo
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »

Dont get wide screen, horrible for poker sites

Yo
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »

NOOOO, the widescreen is best.  - I have a Sony Vaio - with high def double bright x-black wide screen - its luuurrvely!  battery life is about 2.5 hours.

Don't be fooled by the centrino patter of the sales guys - you just need to make sure its wireless ok.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 03:06:55 PM »

Get both.

Nice poweful amd athlon 64 PC and a big comfy chair. (get it customed made with the all the trimmings for about a grand)

You can pick up a nice reconditioned laptop (£300/400) from loads of places on the net, just make sure it is over 2.4ghz if your multi tabling or it can get a bit slow.

Routers and wireless card are cheap as chips and a godsend when you get to the final table and the call of nature simply must be answered.
stoo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 04:12:27 PM »

If you intend on playing alot of online games I would recommend something you can rest your hand on that isn't a hard surface while holding the mouse. I recked my hand in my first proper days of playing (where your wrist is directly below your little finger). May just be the way I hold the mouse.
Another recommendation is if you are using a wireless mouse or keyboard for that matter, keep spare batteries. The amount of times I have been on the final table and my mouse die is beyond count.
 Smiley

Played too many games hehe.

I would also go Wieless and Broadband is a must.

Sorry if i'm breaking a long running law in that newbies don't offer recommendations.

Lastly Good Luck.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 04:14:27 PM »

Sorry if i'm breaking a long running law in that newbies don't offer recommendations.

newbies POV is always welcome at blonde and a newbie has as much right to express his views as a hero member

celtic was so gobsmacked he smacked me in the gob
stoo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 04:19:03 PM »

Cool beans! I remember being a newbie on a Climbing Forum.. Quite into my climbing as well as poker. Once I offered an oppinion to another newbie felt like I was jumped on by several overwieght ppl.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 04:22:00 PM »

sounds like a poker forum with all those over wieght people

celtic was so gobsmacked he smacked me in the gob
The Wall

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 04:28:07 PM »

I second / third / fourth the decent chair recommendations! Nothing beats the comfort factor! and as far as a machine goes, I guess it all depends what you will be using it for besides poker.  If its just poker and a bit of 'other' surfing then just get a nice medium spec laptop or desktop.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Dusk Till Dawn Poker