blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 12:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274187 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16955 Members
Latest Member: Airdraken
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Critical appraisal please
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Critical appraisal please  (Read 2516 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »

He had 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »

I sort of expected him to be on a flush draw, but only from the way you phrased your posts, not from the way the hand developed.

I think your query regarding looking to make a 'value bet' gave this away.  As I said earlier in the thread, a lead on the river is more of a defensive blocking bet than a value bet.  I think, at the time you're in the hand, you probably think the same thing.  Then when he reveals a missed draw you suddenly think you missed a value bet after all.

Sheriff

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 01:40:31 AM »

what is the thought process I should be adopting in deciding whether this is a value betting spot or not?

look at the action preflop, and put him on a range of hands that can call preflop. Make sure you do this honestly, rather then doing it to justify a river bet. base this on experience with him, or of experience with reasonably competent players. Obviously the stronger the read, the more accurate your assesment will be, and thus your actions in the hand will be clearer. Then ask yourself of these hands, how many of them will call a river bet with a hand that I can beat. if the answer is not many, but they figure to have a pretty wide range, then letting them try and steal it on the river/inducing a move by the fabled weak lead is preferable. Its not just a case of how much you are willing to commit to the hand, but a case of how, and calling in these spots gets you a better return on your money then being the bettor, for obvious reasons.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »

Just to play devil's advocate...

I quite like the check call on the turn from you Rich. If he had something like AT it would have scared him half to death and most likely caused a check behind you on the river rather than a scary all-in. After that call from you he will surely only bet the river now other than with a hand that beats you? I'm not saying I would have check called here but it worked quite well.

The check raise on the turn is the obvious move I think, but you're only committing more of your stack to a loser or scaring him off if you are the winner.

The river is also a check call from me I think.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 01:47:06 AM by The Baron » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: