blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 06:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  snooker-greats
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: snooker-greats  (Read 7650 times)
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »

So you have saved up for a few weeks, taken the day of work ... taken your 2 excited ronnie fanatic kids along to the event... and he does that !!!

If he doesnt care for his fans, why should they care for him ?

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 09:13:09 PM »

Thanks for mentioning Pullman. Brings back memories.

Back to Ronnie. I really don't think he's ever given a flying **** for what anyone thinks of him (and for the most part I don't blame him). He just goes out there and works his magic on the table often disregarding the ego/feelings of his opponents in the process. Can't think of any other reason he'd take the mick  the way he does when he's switching hands to belittle the opposition and make the game look ridiculously easy.

If 'fans' are shocked by the latest headline they clearly haven't been following his career. IMO snooker needs 'The Rocket'. If he wants to concede early in a match I have no problem with that. There are too many 'robots' in the game at the moment and I welcome Ronnie's eccentricities.

...eh??

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »

I agree it'd be a tough break for the kids in that scenario but atleast they'd learn a lesson that their so called 'idols' may not necessarily 'love' them in the same way. 

Players quit matches early for all sorts of reasons, some more visible and valid (in the eyes of the paying public) than others. I think when it comes to quirky characters like Ronnie you pay your money and take your chance not knowing which 'Ronnie' is going to show up (if at all). The idea that he should care about his fans is a bit odd. People will pay to watch him play regardless.

bobby1,   ...eh?? 

You'll have to be more specific if you want me to clarify anything.
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:20 AM »

I agree it'd be a tough break for the kids in that scenario but atleast they'd learn a lesson that their so called 'idols' may not necessarily 'love' them in the same way. 

Players quit matches early for all sorts of reasons, some more visible and valid (in the eyes of the paying public) than others. I think when it comes to quirky characters like Ronnie you pay your money and take your chance not knowing which 'Ronnie' is going to show up (if at all). The idea that he should care about his fans is a bit odd. People will pay to watch him play regardless.

Sorry, this is total crap. People will pay "regardless" ? Regardless of what, whether he turns up or not ?

Its obvious the guy has serious mental problems.  He needs professional help. If he really "cant be bothered" playing out matches, then his automatic place in these very lucrative tournaments should be given to someone who would be willing to give 100%.

This should not just be swept under the carpet..

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2006, 12:14:35 AM »

Perhaps he'd had a bet on Hendry!

The older I get, the better I was.
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2006, 12:16:14 AM »

You think it's 'crap' I don't. The main point of my posts was to express surprise that people are shocked by today's events which just seem to be another example of Ronnie's antics IMO which is why I think people will turn up to watch him play whenever he's on the bill. The people that paid to see Ronnie got to see him (they'll have more of a story to tell their friends than if he'd played it out and lost in routine fashion). Could argue they got value for money.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2006, 12:18:57 AM »

Thanks for mentioning Pullman. Brings back memories.

Back to Ronnie. I really don't think he's ever given a flying **** for what anyone thinks of him (and for the most part I don't blame him). He just goes out there and works his magic on the table often disregarding the ego/feelings of his opponents in the process. Can't think of any other reason he'd take the mick  the way he does when he's switching hands to belittle the opposition and make the game look ridiculously easy.

If 'fans' are shocked by the latest headline they clearly haven't been following his career. IMO snooker needs 'The Rocket'. If he wants to concede early in a match I have no problem with that. There are too many 'robots' in the game at the moment and I welcome Ronnie's eccentricities.

...eh??

Ok, you think he is right not to care what anyone thinks of him, why do people say that like its a good thing?
You say he doesnt give due regard to his opponents and tries to punish their egos by disrespecting them when playing left handed, so what you mean is he sets out to embarrass other players and when he is being embarrassed himself it is ok to walk out, why?

When did he last walk out of a match? as he hasnt done this before it is clearly a shock.

As for the following sentence well, the current world champion is playing the best snooker of the tourney,yet you prefer to see someone that would give in because he isnt having a good day in a kind of 'tortured genius' role, why would you find it better that he has eccentricities instead of being a fully rounded person and player and you say that being eccentric allows him to disrespect the players, fans and the game by walking out. You then say you think that is ok because you seemingly dont like watching the real top class players play because the arent flawed, instead you would rather watch this sad individual. why?

(If 'fans' are shocked by the latest headline they clearly haven't been following his career. IMO snooker needs 'The Rocket'. If he wants to concede early in a match I have no problem with that. There are too many 'robots' in the game at the moment and I welcome Ronnie's eccentricities)

The fact you think snooker needs Ronnie shows that you vastly overrate him, and in a way I think that is why he behaves the way he does he thinks he is above everone else and the star turn, he isnt, hasnt been for years and tho I hope he comes back stronger he is bang out of order on this occasion.

regards

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
NEVES

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 01:47:05 AM »

You think it's 'crap' I don't. The main point of my posts was to express surprise that people are shocked by today's events which just seem to be another example of Ronnie's antics IMO which is why I think people will turn up to watch him play whenever he's on the bill. The people that paid to see Ronnie got to see him (they'll have more of a story to tell their friends than if he'd played it out and lost in routine fashion). Could argue they got value for money.

Billy i don't want to sound sarcastic but where is the value for money
in what Ronnie did today.

Neves.

Rules are for the obedience of fools and
guidance of wise men.
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2006, 01:55:47 AM »

I remember my 1st visit to Vegas, it was for Tyson vs Holyfield 2. The fight was called off after Tyson decided to bite a chunk out of Hollyfields ear in the 3rd round. I remember feeling really pissed off and shortchanged.
But I suppose I can now look back and say I was there, witnessing a bit of infamous boxing history.

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Jedwick

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 11:48:55 AM »

I think with most sports people dont warm to all round perfect professionals, you have to have a mean streak or an edge to be popular, of course there are exceptions but I also think Snooker needs Ronnie, this is the most that Snooker has been talked about for ages, even if it is for the wrong things, but characters like Ronnie who are unpredictable brings fans in to watch Ronnie rather than the snooker, but it does increase the sports popularity.

Anyone know what the plural of Moose is???
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 04:50:13 PM »

Bobby you're clearly putting words into my mouth here and the fact that I'm not what you could call a 'fan' of Ronnie makes some of your statements absurd.

1. I didn't say he was right not to care about what fans think or that this would be a good thing if it was indeed his view.

What I did say was I wouldn't blame him if he didn't care. Big difference.

2. Rubbing his opponents faces in it seems to have been part of Ronnie's game for as long as I've seen him so I'm not surprised by his antics.

3. He's often said he's going to walk out on the game. You find him walking out a shock. I half expect it of him.

4. Your statement about Dott is simply a matter of opinion and YES I'd rather watch Ronnie, Williams, Ding, Ebdon and Hendry rather than the current world Champ.

(Bobby1)   "You then say you think that is ok because you seemingly dont like watching the real top class players play because the arent flawed"

Don't know who these 'real top class players are' especially the one's that 'aren't flawed'.

5. I do think snooker needs Ronnie and I don't think this means I overrate him. You keep making wild assumptions. If I sat down and compiled my all time greats list I doubt Ronnie would make it into my top 5 so if that's overrating him so be it.

6. You don't think Ronnie is the 'Star turn'? IMO Dott and players of his ilk will never match Ronnie when it comes to drawing the crowds and attracting sponsorship. And that doesn't mean I underrate Dott. I just can't see him being a major pull for the public.

Rozza1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2006, 12:12:31 AM »

My generation Ronnie, next generation Judd Trump

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 12:49:25 AM »

Would you like your kids to behave like Ronnie O' ?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BrumBilly

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 02:47:10 AM »

I don't know enough about his behaviour to say whether or not I'd like my imaginary kids to behave in the same fashion.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 03:04:22 AM »

I don't know enough about his behaviour to say whether or not I'd like my imaginary kids to behave in the same fashion.

I do, I wouldn't.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: