blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:37:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Gus Hansen on poker superstars - All in blind every hand
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gus Hansen on poker superstars - All in blind every hand  (Read 3871 times)
kvnstv
A bit of a plum

Jesse May called, he wants his hair back.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »

i loved this. he completely highlighted how pokersuperstars heats were complete crapshoots so it hardly mattered if he pushed every hand or played a near perfect game.
Spot on,

The players might be pokersuperstars but the poker is far from riveting, whoever decided to make the great and the good sit down and basically shove or fold every hand in what amounts to little more than a six seater turbo wants a serious talking too.

It's a qualification leg, seems like a good idea to show the differing skill sets in poker to me.

VOC.

What differing skill sets, the capability to shove all in every hand? Surely it would have been more cost effective to just show a PartyPoker play money table rather than drag Doyle and the other poker superstars into a TV studio. If the art of the all in shove is to be show cased then they should go to the real experts, mind you whose going to watch Poker Play Money Superstars III. I stand corrected Sir, asking the best players in the world to play in a game without finesse or depth is the way to go.

dealerFROMhell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »

That damned Phil Ivey, why doesn't someone just tell him to shut the hell up... Yap, yap, yap, all the time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:53:04 PM by dealerFROMhell » Logged

"Any raise?............ HELLO?"
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »

i loved this. he completely highlighted how pokersuperstars heats were complete crapshoots so it hardly mattered if he pushed every hand or played a near perfect game.
Spot on,

The players might be pokersuperstars but the poker is far from riveting, whoever decided to make the great and the good sit down and basically shove or fold every hand in what amounts to little more than a six seater turbo wants a serious talking too.

It's a qualification leg, seems like a good idea to show the differing skill sets in poker to me.

VOC.

What differing skill sets, the capability to shove all in every hand? Surely it would have been more cost effective to just show a PartyPoker play money table rather than drag Doyle and the other poker superstars into a TV studio. If the art of the all in shove is to be show cased then they should go to the real experts, mind you whose going to watch Poker Play Money Superstars III. I stand corrected Sir, asking the best players in the world to play in a game without finesse or depth is the way to go.

This is a skill set, knowing the mathematics behind hand strength and assigning peoples calling ranges. It might not be genius but its a skill set that 95% of poker players lack including some of these superstars.

I take you don't play sng's.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »

I think the different format is not ideal BUT it was good to see everybody playing to their finishing position and what Gus hansen showed you have to do to win that sort of situation. Gus played truly top-class poker here in my opinion.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kvnstv
A bit of a plum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »

Spot on,

VOC.

This is a skill set, knowing the mathematics behind hand strength and assigning peoples calling ranges. It might not be genius but its a skill set that 95% of poker players lack including some of these superstars.

He moved all in blind for 18 straights hands, skill?

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »

Spot on,

VOC.

yes skill. Within the format of the tournament he did EXACTLY what he needed to do. He had to win the tournament..second is no good to him. He also knew the rest were playing for certain positions and he knew he would pick up loads of blinds doing it this way and the blinds (as stated somewhere else) were 1/15th of everyones stack.
Strategywise he got it absolutely spoton and that in itsself is skill.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kvnstv
A bit of a plum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »

Spot on,

VOC.

yes skill. Within the format of the tournament he did EXACTLY what he needed to do. He had to win the tournament..second is no good to him. He also knew the rest were playing for certain positions and he knew he would pick up loads of blinds doing it this way and the blinds (as stated somewhere else) were 1/15th of everyones stack.
Strategywise he got it absolutely spoton and that in itsself is skill.
LOL Donkaments.

Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »

The finishing positions were vital and Gus knew it.  Antonio and Phil are already through but the higher they finish the more chips they get but Deeb needs to finish 4th or better to qualify, Ivey needs to finish 3rd or better and Moneymaker needs to get heads up.  The chances of any of them playing a hand are slim to non anyway.  Gus needs to win and he cans it and play no hands and let Phil and Antonio steal all the blinds or do what he doe and push push push.  It works out great as he outdraws Moneymaker and as Ivey and Deeb make it through they call with weaker hands knowing they are through and donate their chips to Gus allowing him the heads up advantage.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
faireycakes

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 07:53:19 PM »

I can understand why there are some rather negative views on gus's play but i cant help but feel that it was a style of play up there with the best of them for the task at hand. I admired that player before and despite the fact that some of you may be disgusted with the fact that i admire him even more now.

Read a couple of threads so far, robs wsop, most of colchester kevs april special and a couple of other bits.
Enjoying it all so far.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 07:54:09 PM »

the format of this tourney doesn't lend itsself to proper poker so another strategy is required.

KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

Can i just emphasise for ppl who obviously didnt read my original post, that Gus did not move in BLIND for 18 hands!!!Only a small amount, maybe twice or three times did he push blind on the button in late position!

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 09:08:46 PM »

Can i just emphasise for ppl who obviously didnt read my original post, that Gus did not move in BLIND for 18 hands!!!Only a small amount, maybe twice or three times did he push blind on the button in late position!

? He pushed every hand untill he knew the pressure was off Ivey and Deeb.

What you are forgetting is that there are a few qualifying heats, this was just the last 1 where a bizarre set of circumstances meant Gus's best stratergy was to just move in.

VOC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:25:43 PM by Royal Flush » Logged

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 09:52:28 PM »

? He pushed every hand untill he knew the pressure was off Ivey and Deeb

VOC

Confused?

And FFS tell me what VOC stands for!

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
kvnstv
A bit of a plum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »

What you are forgetting is that there are a few qualifying heats, this was just the last 1 where a bizarre set of circumstances meant Gus's best stratergy was to just move in.

VOC
[/quote]
Agreed, But I've seen a few Flushy and there all pretty much push/fold poker . Its only an opinion but as TV poker show's go this is only one step above watching some bloke who used to be on hollioaks fold the nuts on the river and a waste of so many big names.  Just watched Will Hill GP from Iron's torrent (thanks again Iron)thats how you do it. This show is going for quantity not quality and this is the result, top players in the world playing flips. I takes a situation like this for the show to get any forum coverage. I bet you won't find many threads on blonde discussing this terrible TV show. As for Hansen's strategy, kuodos to him it worked, he has to win a coin flip and a thrace but it was the right approach. But skill, im sorry I don't see it, he accessed the situation before the start and played his spot well, still not going to look such a genius move if he runs into aces second hand. Actually probable would because with 15 BB's he would probable have been commited anyway, terrible show can we talk about HSP now?

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »

I agree that it's a pretty ridiculous format. Fair play to Gus, he played the correct strategy for teh format of the show and it was funny watching him move in every hand but the less of these shallow structure blind tournaments they have on tv the better.

Ok, so they are to some extent illustrating sit and go strategy, but when you have players of the skill of Ivey, Hansen, Deeb etc, you want to see them playing multiple street poker.

Having them play preflop pushbot poker is like getting shumacher to show people how to do a 3 point turn, a waste.

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: