blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Big stacks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big stacks  (Read 1427 times)
ACE2M

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:34:29 AM »

How many times do you get a big stack in a tournament? as a ratio to 10.

I term big stack as being in the top 5 way before the money.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:56:12 AM »

Not often enough.

I honestly couldn't tell ya, it depends on whether the tourney is a freezeout or not or even a deepstack 9I seem to do very well getting into the top 5 in a deepstack tourney and staying there for quite a while..in other tourneys not nearly often enough because I'm a rock.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Highstack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »

Hard to imagine, but for my game I find its the worst thing in the world!

Everytime I have a big stack early, I blow out early because I am unable to find the 'change down gear'. If I am on a gamble mindset, then I start to believe that I am invincible. I would say that nearly all of my decent cashes have come when I have been average stack at best throughout and come up on the rails.

In fact some of the winning positions I have thrown away would be laughable to an observer.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:28:05 PM »

I used to be that..the short/average stack player. It will cost you. I have just now started to learn how to play a big stack in a tourney. Being a shortstack player is not something you want to become, it definetly shouldn't become a habit.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »

Everytime I have a big stack early, I blow out early because I am unable to find the 'change down gear'. If I am on a gamble mindset, then I start to believe that I am invincible. I would say that nearly all of my decent cashes have come when I have been average stack at best throughout and come up on the rails.

In fact some of the winning positions I have thrown away would be laughable to an observer.

I've been exactly the same. I always felt that when a big stack I should be bullying but I seemed to pick the wrong spots, pick up a little bit of a hand and not let go. Then get angry with losing 1/3 of my chips and screw up. Didn't suit my game.

Then I decided when big stack to slow down a bit. Ended up slowing down far too much and being susceptible to blinds when levels had gone up.

Now I seem to have found a happy medium. Have converted my last four big stack positions (top 5 well before bubble) into cashes. Play smaller pots and sniff out weakness, gradual build, smallball poker. Seems to work.
stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »

online maybe 2/10 live 8/10, i find it alot harder online for some reason but when i do get in the top ten its very rare i dont at least make the money online,

live its a little more tricky, i vitually every comp get into the top 4-5 chip leaders but the blinds in my local go up every 10 mins, and the players there just dont pass so u got to have something everytime, its very rare a raise goes unseen or a flop gets checked, and they only play top 3 places with 50-70 runners its a tough job i normally end up going out 5-15 in my local live comp had 4-4ths in the last 4 comps and i never do deals lol really annoying

bluesq : archclub vc : ericuk DTD : pokerstu pokerstars : pokerstu1
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »

Interesting question, i don't know is the honest answer if i win a comp its nearly always because i have led from the front.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 02:36:36 AM »

lol, never had one. Cant answer.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: