blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Simple pot odds / implied odds question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Simple pot odds / implied odds question  (Read 1179 times)
Muahahahaha

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »

Basically is this a good call or a bad call ?

10c/20c full ring game microgaming.  Both me & villain have $20

I'm in BB with  . Haven't sat down long, so I've no real table image, & I've no view on the rest of the table

A couple of limpers, then a late position raise to 80c. So I call. both limpers call as well. Pot $3.30

Flop comes  three diamonds

I'm first to play, I haven't done much yet, the board is interesting , but not scary, so I bet out $1.65

1st player folds, next guy raises to $3.30, original raiser folds.

Now the idiot move ( well that's what he called me anyway )

I called $1.65 into a pot of $8.25. In my addled brain I had it at over 4/1, and I'm 5/1 to hit the gutshot , plus I've got 2 outs with the as well.

Now, with a calculator I make it 5/1, and I have 6 potential outs. Admittedly there are two cards to come.

So, mathematically, is it a poor call ?

Please feel free to ignore The Tank's plea for leniency.  Any comments that make me laugh can be as insulting as you like ( plus please feel free to add any  good fart gags as well ).  I'll take any elitism necessary as long as I learn from it.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:48:28 PM by Muahahahaha » Logged
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 05:25:49 PM »

It's fine you stand to win more if you hit a 6 or 5

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »

erm, the vital piece of information is missing. How deep are the stacks?
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:08:33 PM »

If the flop raiser is allin you might have a very marginal call - he might have 65 or 77 giving you less outs.  Betting into 3 players with this hand is a mistake - the fact that might have marginal odds to call a reraise shouldn't distract you from this. 

If he has more money to bet you are 10-1 to hit the gutshot and are probably unlikely to make a lot from your opponent as the board is extremely scary.  If you hit a six and bet, you might bluff your opponent off 77, but nothing that you are beating calls. 
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:44:52 PM »

(Alex- stacks are $20 each, 100BB)

I'd have checked the flop. Usually it will be checked to the raiser who may also check Vs 3 players if he has raised without a pair, and I'd like to see another card for free if possible.

A 1/2 pot bet here will rarely take the pot down, but it could make it quite expensive for you to hit your draw if you are raised.

Also, let's suppose you bet out and the original raiser is your only caller. What's your move on the turn when a blank falls? Do you really want to be building this pot out of position with a hand you're not comfortable with? However, if you check how will you act when he bets the pot?

Obviously there are usually different ways to play in different situations depending on each individual's particular style. As a general rule though, I would advise playing passively in full-handed cash games without either a monster, position, or a very strong drawing hand.

I just realised I haven't actually answered your original question- you should call.

Muahahahaha

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:24:14 AM »

If the flop raiser is allin you might have a very marginal call - he might have 65 or 77 giving you less outs.  Betting into 3 players with this hand is a mistake - the fact that might have marginal odds to call a reraise shouldn't distract you from this. 

If he has more money to bet you are 10-1 to hit the gutshot and are probably unlikely to make a lot from your opponent as the board is extremely scary.  If you hit a six and bet, you might bluff your opponent off 77, but nothing that you are beating calls. 

I bet out as a blocking bet.

I didn't think this flop would help a typical pre flop drawing hand.  ( ie AK, 2 suited etc ), so I thought I'd see who showed strength , with the idea of running away very quickly if anyone flat called, & I didn't improve.  Because this guy stuck in a min raise, I thought he must have something, so I assumed I needed to improve, but I thought either the trips or the straight would be good enough.

You say the board is scary.  Should I have been scared of it.  I must admit that it looked benign to me, which was why I thought I could try a little semi move.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »

You are about 3/1 to hit your straight or set, so it's Call or a Raise. But in fact, your 6-6 may well be good enough in itself, so factor that in, too, & discount the 3/1.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »

You say the board is scary.  Should I have been scared of it.  I must admit that it looked benign to me, which was why I thought I could try a little semi move.

The point is that if you hit your outs the board will be scary making it difficult for you to get paid.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »

You are about 3/1 to hit your straight or set, so it's Call or a Raise. But in fact, your 6-6 may well be good enough in itself, so factor that in, too, & discount the 3/1.

What hand raises, with a pre-flop raiser still to act, that isn't beating 66?

6/47 isn't 3-1.  The situation is that OP is about 7-1 to hit on the turn and will probably face another bet if he misses.   
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »

What hand raises, with a pre-flop raiser still to act, that isn't beating 66?

6/47 isn't 3-1.  The situation is that OP is about 7-1 to hit on the turn and will probably face another bet if he misses.   

It is about 3/1 or 4/1 IF we go to the River, which was what I was thinking. We have 6 outs twice - IF we intend to go to the iver.

Assuming an Overpair, our 6-6 on a 3-4-7 flop, is about 25% to hit. (And that assumes it needs to....)

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »

I would only take the odds you get to hit on the turn as you will be facing a sizeable turn bet alot of the time here, the min raise here is almost always a strong hand, an overpair most likely. Of course this helps our implied odds.

So 6 nut outs make is 7/1 on the turn, you are getting 4/1 but implied odds make this a call. Check/ fold to a sizeable turn bet if unimproved.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: