blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  how do you gauge how good a player you are
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how do you gauge how good a player you are  (Read 3688 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »

Sicilian

We play against each other regularly

I rate you highly, and your game has certainly improved a bundle whereas of course some in that cardroom are not interested in progressing or won't, you seem to have done. No idea if you have consciously worked to improve your game or not, I suspect you have

Hope your recent run continues, unless I am in the comp with you!

Record keeping...honest record keeping... is the start, growing a bankroll to be able to compete selectively at higher levels and then making money there that is the next stage for you I think.

Playing any of the Springfest with your winnings?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:56:24 AM »

Posted on: Today at 07:33:17 amPosted by: Longy 
Long term, if you are a good player  you make $$$$$$$$$$$'s. If you are not you lose $$$$$$$. That is all.

You don't necessarily need to be a 'good' player to make money (although it helps).

You just need to find players that are worse than you.

Table selection one of the most important aspects of a "good" player. My original response may be a touch flippant but i think it is pretty true, how do you keep score in poker, how much money you make relative to everyone else.

We could into semantics about the fact that someone winning at 15c/30c is not as "good" at poker as someone losing at $5/10 but the player at 5/10 cannot be described as "good" player as he is playing out of his/her depth.

portfolio

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »

ver simply,

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  are how u keep score  in poker !
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »

If he's playing regularly with that big fish Tightend, his table selection is quite good  Grin

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »

I think an easy way to find out how good you are is to start posting hands and commenting on other people's hands on strat forums. Where ever you decide to post it's usually becomes clear after a while who the good posters are. If you always jump in first to answer people and your advice lines up with the good players....

Just watch out for the people who are good, authoritive writers but crap poker players who give awful advice in some long old waffley but excellently written post that makes it seem better than it really is.
Muahahahaha

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »

ver simply,

But that's in the long term.

If I stick at the feeble levels I play at, then in the long term I will regularly earn $$$.

But for me to improve my skills to earn $$$$$$

I'll need to spend some time making mistakes against better players, in which case I'll be earning -$$$$ for a while until I get the hang of it.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »

I think an easy way to find out how good you are is to start posting hands and commenting on other people's hands on strat forums. Where ever you decide to post it's usually becomes clear after a while who the good posters are. If you always jump in first to answer people and your advice lines up with the good players....

Just watch out for the people who are good, authoritive writers but crap poker players who give awful advice in some long old waffley but excellently written post that makes it seem better than it really is.

(but not too good a post, if you know what I mean)

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 12:01:59 PM »

ver simply,

But that's in the long term.

If I stick at the feeble levels I play at, then in the long term I will regularly earn $$$.

But for me to improve my skills to earn $$$$$$

I'll need to spend some time making mistakes against better players, in which case I'll be earning -$$$$ for a while until I get the hang of it.

Not necessarily, below is a quote from a thread about a year ago when we talked about a similar subject.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=8577.msg185484#msg185484

Rather than stepping up to a higher level and losing money making mistakes against better players why not identify which areas of your game you would need to improve to step up a level while still playing at the lower levels. Then when you feel as though you have improved enough to compete at the next level you can step up and hopefully not lose as much.

sponsored by Fyffes
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 03:27:51 PM »

You could always try changing your name half way thru so people don't get a good read on you.............. 

sponsored by Fyffes
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »

And changing your identity wiil also help people getting a read on you  

Bloody Monkeys !!!!!
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »

ooops sorry my m8 celtic used my computer last to login to blonde didnt realise i was logged in as him.....or did he?Huh?  signed man of many faces   lol

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 03:37:18 PM »

Bloody Monkeys !!!!!

sponsored by Fyffes
KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 03:37:33 PM »

lol i love how on here the vultures are always circling waiting for something to mess up!!!

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 03:45:23 PM »

lol i love how on here the vultures are always circling waiting for something to mess up!!!

observation skills and spotting patterns and norms are necessary weapons in the world of poker so when something doesn't go to plan you can spot it instantly.

ok, so this was a little easier to spot than most - but still Grin

sponsored by Fyffes
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 04:29:06 PM »

T.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: