blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  EBAY DILEMMA! HELP QUICK!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EBAY DILEMMA! HELP QUICK!  (Read 2837 times)
jjandellis
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:39:35 PM »

I entered an auction the other day for a poker table.

The package was one of the poker tables with racetrack and semi-circular wooden legs. I know these go for a couple of hundred quid.

Also included were 9 x chairs (office looking and basic, but quite good for the job) and 1000 poker chips.

My initial bid was for 100 quid and then I updated to 150. I missed the end of the auction and found I'd been outbid. The winner bid 185 quid. This did not include courier charges.

I looked back at the ad and noticed that he had several of the same package; a phone number to contact him.

So I gave him a bell and offered my original 150 quid, which was turned down. He told me that he had been setting up a poker club but had been turned down for his license. He was therefore left with a load of tables/chairs/chips. He had sold some to his club members for about 260 quid, but was now trying to get rid of the rest.

I went away and had a think. I have now offered 200 quid, plus the 60 quid for a courier. It seems he will accept this bid. It will be paid over paypal.

HOWEVER. I smell a rat.

I checked his profile and am aware he is located in Lakenheath, Suffolk. The winning bidder was from, you guessed it...Lakenheath! I dug deeper and found that these 2 have co-operated (shill bidded) before.

Now then, 260 quid is a pretty good price for the package. However I feel I could have had it for 150 (plus courier). Its obvious this bloke hasn't been straight with me though.

Half of me wants to seal the deal; half of me wants to pull the plug. He's not been very honourable.

What would you do?

ps. I haven't challenged him over this yet...
lynx5.0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »

sounds like a scam remember reading something similar a while back as the deal is not done through ebay there is no protection

if you don't bet, he can't fold. but he always calls, so don't bet
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:10 PM »

Maybe he was just stopping the sale going through too cheaply? But as you are now going outside of Ebay you will have no comeback on them if it goes wrong. How are you going to pay him?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »

Me? I'd cancel the purchase. I cant abide dealing with leg-lifters.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »

I had this situation once when bidding for some golf clubs.
I won the auction but found out that the last bidder was the guy's wife.

Phoned him up and got him to admit it - he ended up knocking the price back to what it should have been.

Might be worth same approach.
Mango99
Donk King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »

I wouldn't do the deal directly to his bank account, as you'll have zero comeback when it goes all wrong. I recently bought an arcade machine for my office, and it arrived sub-spec to that advertised and now the bloke I bought it off - I did a bank xfer, rather than use paypal - has done a runner!! Pah!!... I figure he owes me £100>£150ish for it being lower spec than that advertised.

I have to admit to once doing a similar thing to the guy you are buying the tables off...  My brother made a badge of the 80's spectrum computer game character Jet Set Willy. I advertised it on ebay for a joke as *extremely rare* lol, and the bidding got up to £10 or more (it must have been worth 1 or 2p)... I had to ask a mate to outbid the winning bidder in the end, so I didn't have to post that piece of sh*t out to him lol Wink

I can understand why people get mates to outbid low winning bidders on ebay, but I wouldn't want to deal with them, regardless of how good the bargain was/is. I'd also never do a direct bank xfer again. Paypal through a winning auction is the only way!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:42:29 PM »

Don't buy it.  Why should you believe his story if he's effectively 'lied' with his sale.  If he has a minimum price -why not start the auction at that price or use a reserve?

Steer clear - otherwise you risk getting shafted.  He'll post them up again on ebay before long and you can bid as much as you are prepared to pay.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:45:07 PM »

Smelling one rat puts me off a deal as much as spotting one rat in a restraunt would turn me against dining there.
 No deal.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »

JJ are you going to BB ?

I live local and could go and pick it up if needed and if it will fit in car.

There was indeed a Poker Club in Lakenheath so the story sounds possible.

If you MSN PM me and we could chat or phone.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »

i wouldnt pay for it without getting the goods first

i would also renogosiate the price as its possible that your £100 bid was good unitll they started playing around

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:17 PM »

If he has the Paypal protection thingy on the auction, pay by Paypal and you are safe. Any iffyness and you can claim it back. 

Be nice to Nakor and save yourself another £60.   If you come on the Saturday, private game for us on Friday eh Nakor Cheesy

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »

paypal wont protect due to the fact it wasnt bought in the auction

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

ah that's a good point.  In that case, I'd speak with Nakor if you really want it and send him the money, pehaps he'd pay cash.

Man, I bet he's wishing I'd mind my own business Cheesy

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »

If you still want to buy it ask him to set up a new listing with a 'buy it now' at the price you've agreed and purchase it that way - you'll get some protection then.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »

paypal wont protect due to the fact it wasnt bought in the auction

Lots of options here such as setting up a Private Auction, a Buy it now or relisting the goods so you can use paypal, and ensure you get your protection - which on a £200+ sale if he legit he should be willing to do IMO.

And G don't worry always a small table and chips in my car so we will be fine on the Friday night.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: