blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273126 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Las Vegas Hotels?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Las Vegas Hotels?  (Read 1536 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:56:46 AM »

I've had a bit of a look for hotels in Vegas mid June.

To my mind the best deals (balancing price, ameneties and location mainly) are the Palace Station Hotel and the Las Vegas Hilton.

Anybody stayed at either?

I think that they look like the best deals so really I'm looking for any reasons to avoid.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »

Not been to either but the palace station is off strip and will require plenty of taxis to and from places, the hilton is on strip but still away from most of the places your likley to want to go. I'd suggest you might think about somewhere more central and pay a touch more for convenience.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »

Orleans .... cheap and decent, plenty of brits stay there every year.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
brado

it came back up 3 hours later

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »

I wouldn't consider the Hilton being on strip. It's a fairly long walk to the hub of Vegas and in mid June would be a bit of a killer walk. It is now connected to the strip via a monorail, but this costs $9 for 1 return journey and this can outweigh cost benefits of staying in this hotel.
 If price and location are the two main issues then the imperial palace would be a decent choice. You can pick up a standard room in June for around £35 a night, or a deluxe room for £45. For this you are right in the middle of the strip, with Caesars Palace, The Venetian and The Bellagio all minutes away
 The Monte Carlo is also worth looking at for around £60 per night per room. It's nice, without being spectacular. Rooms are good, pool is decent and it's near to newyork newyork, the mgm and the Aladdin. It may also be connected to the Bellagio via a monorail, but wasn't in November. If not its a 10 minute walk to the Bellagio and Paris
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:41:35 PM »

I've just booked myself a trip for mid may, to a fairly tight budget - I'm going to be staying at the Luxor which came out cheaper than the Hilton for that particular weekend.  The Flamingo and Bally's might be worth a look as well.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:41:13 PM »

Can vouch for that, had almost 3 weeks there.

VERY spaceous rooms, clean and tidy and some good restaraunts also.

I would defo stay there again
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »

Jon, how long you going for? 

This is a once in a lifetime trip (until you qualify for the next one!!), so spend a few more dollars each night and make the stay special.  You're not paying anyway - although I know anything you don't spend on the hotel is in your pocket.

I'm sure if you stay in a decent place on the strip, close to where you'll be playing it'll make your stay more pleasant and let you focus on the poker.  Of course, if there are decent cheap places on the strip - bargain!

Just my thoughts.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 01:55:43 PM »

Now I've had to re-research all these hotels to make a direct comparison.

The Palace Station is definitely out of the picture now. The others look good - I'm especially tempted by the Orleans - but they're more than a £100 more expensive

It looks like you can get 10 trip journeys on the Monorail for $35, so even though the Imperial Palace is only a bit more expensive it doesn't seem to be worth the extra cost for the extra proximity to the Strip.

Thanks for the advice, you live and learn - if the Hilton proves to be a pain as a starting point then I'll have learnt to only stay at recommended places. Smiley

Just seen your post Kinboshi - gonna reply to that by itself

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »

Jon, how long you going for? 

This is a once in a lifetime trip (until you qualify for the next one!!), so spend a few more dollars each night and make the stay special.  You're not paying anyway - although I know anything you don't spend on the hotel is in your pocket.

I'm sure if you stay in a decent place on the strip, close to where you'll be playing it'll make your stay more pleasant and let you focus on the poker.  Of course, if there are decent cheap places on the strip - bargain!

Just my thoughts.

I'm going from the 14th to the 20th (so 6 nights).

The WSOP Razz is 2 days - but there's nowhere right by the Rio for a decent price, so wherever I stay it's going to be a little trip.

It may be heresy but I'm not going to spend my whole time at the poker table  which also means little trips - even if I was staying on the Strip

The extra dollars in my pocket are a key consideration - I've won $3000 for expenses, and as far as I'm concerned that's it. I'm definitely not going over (so the whole trip will be an absolute freeroll).

But you can be sure that if it doesn't go according to plan then I'll post back here to admit that I should have booked a hotel on the Strip itself.

Edit: Thought I should clarify - by little trips I meant small journeys and not three 3's (just to avoid confusion amongst the truly dedicated poker player)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:03:14 PM by Jon MW » Logged

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »

I've stayed at the Hilton.  Its a nice hotel but, as others have pointed out the biggest issue is the off-strip location.  It wasn't a huge issue for us as we'd rented a car but, without this, you're likely to be very reliant on the monorail.

I doubt you'll have any issues regarding the standard of accomodation/food/etc.  There was no poker room there when I stayed there (Dec 2004) and I don't think there is one now, but you've said that you don't plan to play all the time.  Its a big hotel (comparable with most places on the Strip) so you've as much choice there for stuff to do as at most places.

Easiest solution is to rent a car during your stay (I do this every time I go).  Over a 6 day stay it'll probably work out cheaper than public transport options and you'll have complete freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.  The monorail doesn't go anywhere near the Rio so it'd be worth having the car for this journey alone as neither are on the strip and they're on opposite sides of it.

The cheapest place I've found to rent cars is via www.airline-network.co.uk, which usually comes up a few quid cheaper than the other places I look.  Its easy driving in Vegas and there's masses of parking everywhere you go.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »

bolox to it get a room in the Venitian, you won't regret it!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »

You can cet a poker rate at the venetian of $149 for 6 hours play per day (on average) plus a $2 comp for each hour to spend on food or anything else you put on your bill. Terri, one of the poker managers was really helpful and couldn't do enough for me when I was there. I was very impressed and the rooms are as good as anywhere in vegas.
weller001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

the Monte carlo sometimes throws up some very cheap deals, and its not in a bad location.

MrMoves
It's not the principle, it's the money

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »

Can vouch for that, had almost 3 weeks there.

VERY spaceous rooms, clean and tidy and some good restaraunts also.

I would defo stay there again

I can vouch for that also. 

Are you staying there this year, M3?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: