blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  mid stages of sunday million would you call preflop?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: mid stages of sunday million would you call preflop?  (Read 1830 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:54:13 AM »

I am thinking I am too tight in the midstages of a tourney when i have a decent stack and this hand made me question  it a bit more so would like your opinions.

You have 65kish in chips blinds are 500-1000 + ante

Play at the table has been very solid..not a lot of bluffing so when someone raises pre-flop they tend to have some sort of hand.

Mid position player raises to 4000
Button (shortstacked on about 13k flatcalls.

You are on the SB (so have put in 500) with 56 off suit.

BB will probably flatcall as he has done throughout the tourney.

Would you call here? I folded and would have had the open ender on the flop and straight on the river. (and would have had 150k chips more) but that's irrelevant IMO. what does your range here have to be? With 56 suited I probably would have called.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »

nah your out of postion to play that type of hand you can get away with it in CO or button

also depends on MP and stack and the average stack i assume its about 25k

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »

nah your out of postion to play that type of hand you can get away with it in CO or button

also depends on MP and stack and the average stack i assume its about 25k

yeah average stack was somewhere near 25 or 30k ish. mid position had 35k

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:09:25 AM »

your at the stage you can steal blinds and sit back no need to get involved with drawing hands against stacks that can vring you back into the pack

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »

simple fold.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 02:53:52 AM »

Obv fold. I thought you were gona have a hand like AQ or 99. or at least 10 8 suited.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »

Obv fold. I thought you were gona have a hand like AQ or 99. or at least 10 8 suited.

to be honest AQ off suit would have been a fairly easy fold at this table. 99 would have been a call hoping to hit a set. I was in doubt whether to call or not as these guys would quite clearly have high cards and if the flop came low (as it did) it very possibly would have been mine. Like I said with 56 suited I would have made the call.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:01 AM »

With 56 suited I probably would have called.

I'm not sure thats right in this particular situation.  To call with these hands at this stage of a tourney you have to have some post-flop fold equity.  OOP and with a player flat calling for about 1/3 of his chips (usually a big hand) you have very little.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 05:44:43 PM »

FOLD!!

Wouldn't even consider playing this when I have chippies!! 

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:25:49 PM »

Shove pre.
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 11:41:58 PM »

You would lose too many chips chasing the straight to the river if you miss and you're outta position, fold

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 04:34:43 AM »

Suprised this has been posted, esp by you boldie. Standard fold all day long, every day. If preflop raiser also had 65k, was a weak/poor player THEN i might consider calling in position. This hand is trash and only really starts to break even when the stacks are deep versus 3 or more opponents.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »

Suprised this has been posted, esp by you boldie. Standard fold all day long, every day. If preflop raiser also had 65k, was a weak/poor player THEN i might consider calling in position. This hand is trash and only really starts to break even when the stacks are deep versus 3 or more opponents.

you are right ofcourse. Just the recent run of form I've had has lead to me doubting plenty of the hands I play (or should I say refuse to play and see hit). I have bubbled in 4 WSOP (to the 650$ one) and 3 Million sats now and it's my middle game that's killing me in every tourney I play. Not good for your confidence that sort of stuff and I need to change my game. Cashing is fairly straightforward in an MTT if I stick to my usual style of play but cashing is not enough, I need to start winning the bloody things.

For instance; If I play the sunday million I expect to cash atleast and ussually do. However when we get to the bubble stage I ussually find myself with a below average chipstack and getting restless. So I get a bit of money but never have enough chips at this stage to get to the final table..and, as we all know, that's where the real money is. It's getting to be a pain in the arse.

hitnhope
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 01:53:03 PM »

Boldie,

It's always good to read your posts, and you do come across as knowledgable. I reckon another way to learn is to railbird. Which tourneys on which sites do you likely play, and when's the next one.

Respectfully yours.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 04:31:30 PM »

Boldie,

It's always good to read your posts, and you do come across as knowledgable. I reckon another way to learn is to railbird. Which tourneys on which sites do you likely play, and when's the next one.

Respectfully yours.

At the moment mainly playing on stars. I play the sattelites during the day. Just look for boldedge, but bewarned..they are incredibly boring to watch...have to say fairly soft aswell. Very much focussed on the WSOP qualifiers now..or sats to them. Mainly for the W$ but I will take my shot at a proper ME qualifier before the end of the month.
During the weekend I'll also play the sats to the million (ussually play some during the week aswell) and warm up..I'll probably play the million again on sunday.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: