blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  AK decision
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AK decision  (Read 2082 times)
AgentChip109

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »

down to final 20 of a £50 freezeout tourny, am sitting with 16,000 in chips and in healthy position compared to rest of the table, blinds 400/800. new player has just moved to table so no info on him. his third down after sitting down he pushes all in for 14,000 from mid position.

you are in BB and look down at  

call or fold?

Edgy811 - Party, Full Tilt, Pokerstars
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:53:59 PM »

fold every single time. against a new player and with plenty chips left there's no need to call here.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »

Depends what the payout structure and blind structure are on the tourney. If its a quick blind 20 minute tourney then 16000 wont last long, you only have 20bb's now and chances are within the next 30 minutes you'll have played 600/1200 and be on 800/1600 - so its not like you can hang about. If the payout is top 9 but really you need to be top 3 to make it really profitable then depending on the general standard of tournament i would probably call in this situation.

sponsored by Fyffes
AgentChip109

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »

30min blinds

Edgy811 - Party, Full Tilt, Pokerstars
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »

Depends what the payout structure and blind structure are on the tourney. If its a quick blind 20 minute tourney then 16000 wont last long, you only have 20bb's now and chances are within the next 30 minutes you'll have played 600/1200 and be on 800/1600 - so its not like you can hang about. If the payout is top 9 but really you need to be top 3 to make it really profitable then depending on the general standard of tournament i would probably call in this situation.

what? The tightest monkey in the world (well that's what it said on the men's room walls at the garage station anyways) would call where I would fold? that son of yours if turning you into a LAG, Matt Wink

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:03:03 PM »

Nope, i gave my answer based on how i play live tourneys of this nature. Normally when i give answers i'm basing it on my online game where the blind jumps are reasonable and the levels are long enough to allow plenty of play where patience is a virtue.

With these low buy in live tournaments they can soon turn into crap shoots and while you may be sitting in a comfortable position one level within 30 mins or so you have less than average and not much opportunity to wait around.

I played in a £30/1buy in or add on tourney last week to get a bit of live tourney experience under my belt (t'was my first tourney since playing BB3). I thought the standard would be a little better than the usual standard you get at a £10 chip chucking rebuy but it wasn't. It was standard to push preflop with any ace or two face cards so without knowing the general standard of the tourney AgentChip was i would think that AK suited would be infront more often than behind.

sponsored by Fyffes
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:10:40 PM »

fair point it's been a while since I last played live and still mistakenly assume people know what they are doing.

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »

fair point it's been a while since I last played live and still mistakenly assume people know what they are doing.

Ha ha - wit in the Stanley chip chucking contest?  You should play the £25 game Boldie on a Thursday its good.  And its generally a better standard than the rebuy.  Even taking Wanda (aka Newmanseye) into consideration.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:11:25 AM »

Ha ha - wit in the Stanley chip chucking contest?  You should play the £25 game Boldie on a Thursday its good.  And its generally a better standard than the rebuy.  Even taking Wanda (aka Newmanseye) into consideration.

I don't know about the 25 game (thursday is a bad day for me anyways but might make it next week) the 50 game is filled with awful players (not necesarilly a bad thing but they do seem to suck out on me a lot ..or I just don't hit when holding monster draws) so I'd be surprised if the 25 game is any better from a standard of play perspective.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »

Insta call for me.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »

Not playing this hand for those chips, i can get them a lot easier playing small ball.
Fold.
johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »

Not knowing anything about the guy is a bit of a bugger

But I'd have to assume if he had Aces or Kings (or even Queens) he'd have gone for a standard 3xBB raise hoping for a customer or an all in from one of the short stacks.

His bet says to me he does not want a call.

So he probably has a medium/small pair.

Which basically puts you in a race situation. Given that your stack of 16,000 only gives you an M of around 13 then it's probably time to Gamble.

I'd call

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »

Not knowing anything about the guy is a bit of a bugger

But I'd have to assume if he had Aces or Kings (or even Queens) he'd have gone for a standard 3xBB raise hoping for a customer or an all in from one of the short stacks.

His bet says to me he does not want a call.

So he probably has a medium/small pair.

Which basically puts you in a race situation. Given that your stack of 16,000 only gives you an M of around 13 then it's probably time to Gamble.

You wanna call off ur stack with AK. Not me.

I'd call
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »

20% of the time double bluff with AA.
80% of the time donkish play with 88-JJ.

ask yourself how comfortable you are on the table. can you run them over even with the relatively crap structure?
i'd personally call i think as long as i wasn't on a superdonk table i knew i could dismantle within the next hour when blinds get homosexual.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 09:37:11 AM »

In this type of competition, far away from the money, I'm quite happy to take this gamble.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: