blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Small stakes, big pairs.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small stakes, big pairs.  (Read 792 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »

I have been playing small-ish stakes cash for a few weeks now, $1/2 $2/4, and I have found premium pairs (AA KK) by far the most difficult to play.

If I make a standard raise pre, and get no caller, I win $3 (Which is fine btw) but if I get a caller, I have no idea where I am post flop.

I know there are thousands of scenarios, and we can't discuss them all, but it seems to me that I can only win a very small pot, or lose a big one. this is because I have run into 2pr or a set so often that I am now more and more inclined to lay them down as the pot gets bigger.

If there are say, two spades on the flop, I bet to protect against the flush, only to find that I have run into 2pr or a set. If I don't bet, he IS drawing and hits it for free.

If I pass to a $200 all in re-raise on a 4 6 Q flop, he proudly shows me AQ, if I call he has pocket 44  Cheesy

Any advice on playing premium pairs in small stakes cash?

The older I get, the better I was.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:52 PM »

know your players, who plays top pair like the nuts and who is more careful?

it's right to go broke sometimes against a player who will likely shove with AQ on a Q high flop.

been through the same thing and found more concentration and assesment of the players has paid dividends.

you have to lose some big pots.

I have notes on many players saying 'call shoves with overpairs'

A_Leper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:34:14 PM »

I think exercising a bit of pot control is crucial in these situations.

I'm generally checking the flop when it's paired, with the hope of checking / calling down (maybe making a value bet on river depending on action) for a cheapish showdown.

With a flush / straight draw possible I'll bet the flop then check turn and then re-evaluate on river. If draws missed I'll bet, but also sometimes missed draws have a stab at the pot which you can call down reasonably cheaply because the pot has not been too inflated. So you can get a bit of value from people who make bad bluffs.

Those examples are pretty simplistic and vs a passive oppenent (1/2 is the highest I go regularly, I know 2/4 is much more aggressive), but unless your hand improves you have just got 1 pair and generally when people are in a 100bb pot they have at least] 2 pair, so I try to avoid getting in to those situations.

Please correct me if you think this is a bad way to think about it, because I'm always trying to improve Smiley

Edit: I think what I'm trying to say is check the turn Smiley

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:42:21 PM by A_Leper » Logged
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »

I think exercising a bit of pot control is crucial in these situations.

I'm generally checking the flop when it's paired, with the hope of checking / calling down (maybe making a value bet on river depending on action) for a cheapish showdown.

With a flush / straight draw possible I'll bet the flop then check turn and then re-evaluate on river. If draws missed I'll bet, but also sometimes missed draws have a stab at the pot which you can call down reasonably cheaply because the pot has not been too inflated. So you can get a bit of value from people who make bad bluffs.

Those examples are pretty simplistic and vs a passive oppenent (1/2 is the highest I go regularly, I know 2/4 is much more aggressive), but unless your hand improves you have just got 1 pair and generally when people are in a 100bb pot they have at least] 2 pair, so I try to avoid getting in to those situations.

Please correct me if you think this is a bad way to think about it, because I'm always trying to improve Smiley

Edit: I think what I'm trying to say is check the turn Smiley

All of what i wanted to say. Fine post. Esp the bit on controlling pot sizes,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: