blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:05:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Cash game position advantage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cash game position advantage  (Read 1238 times)
bhoywonder

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »

After playing stt's mainly for a long time

Im steadily making the transition over to cash

It's a hard process but i think im beginning to make some progress

after some analysis,Ive found that position is everything..

my profits steadily increasing as my position gets better up to the button which is my most profitable spot....

one glaring ,obvious fault i have is in the BB...I'm losing quite a few bob in the BB

so wot do u guys think?....in cash the need to defend the BB is not awfully important i presume, unlike mtt's and stts where a players image can be  defined by his blind play

So how do u guys play the blinds in cash games?

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »

I'm not really going to try and answer your question as don't really think I'm best qualified to do so - but I did want to just check what you mean...

If you're looking at this in PT, do you mean the BB is the position where your 'net amount' is furthest in the red? Or do you mean that you're actually losing money in the 'Diff w/o Blind' column?

If the former - I'd imagine that's natural, simply because it's the BB and you're having to pay for your cards whatever they are.

If you're actually losing money in the 'Diff w/o Blind' column, then that's entirely different (and quite serious!)

In my stats, the BB is the position where I'm furthest in the red. But it's also the position where I've made most money, if you disregard the cost of the blind itself.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »

I don't go out of my way to defend my blind unless the button or cut off is getting out of line - then I'll reraise a bit more than usual or check raise the flop. 

The problem with getting too involved in blind defence is that it takes a lot of concentration to get the right timing and also to get away from the hand if it goes pear-shaped.  If you are multi-tabling there are easier targets.  You should also be taking down the blinds yourself with reasonable frequency, so this compensates for your losses.

Against a normal frequency of "steal" I tend to reraise with big pairs and occasionally ak/aq - but I prefer to call with the big aces/ connectors, small pairs in an attempt to camouflage my hand. 

Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

Full-handed cash:

*You will always be showing a relatively large loss from both blinds.

*There's no need to defend you blinds. If you're hand is junk, then fold every time.

*There is no need to ever "steal" (raising with junk) unless you are in late position, and someone has posted an extra blind. However you should be raising with a variety of holdings from the c/o or button in unopened pots, although you shouldn't automatically fire a continuation bet each time.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »

Full-handed cash:

*There's no need to defend you blinds. If you're hand is junk, then fold every time.

*There is no need to ever "steal" (raising with junk) unless you are in late position, and someone has posted an extra blind. However you should be raising with a variety of holdings from the c/o or button in unopened pots, although you shouldn't automatically fire a continuation bet each time.

A list everyone should have posted above their PC when playing cash.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »

thx guys great replys

...and to confirm that i aint doing too much wrong i read a piece by tony Guerrera ( think he is a PT expert or something ),that you will lose money from the blinds...It's the nature of the beast,and there aint much you or anyone can do about it...lol

So kids if u spot me in the BB just raise the crap outta me,probably doing me a favour...lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:02:58 PM by bhoywonder » Logged

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »

The whole bb issue - it all depends on the structure of the blinds; and taking from sklansky if the forced bets are large you should loosen up and perhaps defend your blinds and when the blinds/antes small you should consider slowplaying.  Also the blind should not be treated as your money- don't get married to your blinds only because you had to pay them.

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:09:13 AM »

Full-handed cash:

what about short-handed? Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: