blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Small/Mid pairs help please
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small/Mid pairs help please  (Read 787 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »

Been playing the $50k on Stars and I've been going deep but not quite made the money.  I'm fairly happy at this level but am struggling with what to do with small/mid pairs late on.  Trouble is that I'm not really chipped up at this stage (blinds circa 300/600 onwards).  Do I push all in or fold and wait for something better?

Just a bit unsure as I'm not really used to playing $50's regularly.  In a cheaper buy in, I'd just push like every other monkey seems to, but is it appropriate here?  Talking both first in the pot and also with a caller or two.  Trouble with calling is that if you don't hit trips, you're really out of the hand I suppose.

Ta, will be using any helpful advise tonight Smiley

Maybe I'll have a quick read of Harrington before hand

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 07:05:13 PM »

If I can get into the pot on the cheap my rational is to call b more often than not but no set set no bet on the flop.  IfI have position and I think my opponent will pass to a raise then I am definately raising.

if its 88 - TT I may push in position depending what action there was before me. 

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »

With small pairs a lot depends on your table image and the sort of table you're on.
If everyone is tight and you find yourself in decent position you can raise with them. I tend to just limp with them hoping to catch a set but not if the table has one that has been folding to just about any raise.

It ofcourse also depends on how many chips you have. I you find yourself close to 10BB's it''s the easiest push in the world with a small pp but if you find yourself with a decent stack you should play the table more than you play your cards.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 10:10:16 PM »

The difficult time for small PPs is when you have a medium stack and don't want to end up donking off a lot of chips with a sub-standard hand, so position and who else is in the pot is important.  Other than a flopped set - what other flop are you going to be happy seeing when someone bets into it?  Same with suited connectors.

When you're short-stacked, it's far easier like Boldie said.

Be interesting to see what others have to say on this.

In cash games, I love small PPs.  No set no bet, but when you hit - you can hit very hard.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: