blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 02:53:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272954 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 685 686 [687] 688 689 690 691 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6393751 times)
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10290 on: November 07, 2008, 05:57:56 PM »

Ford announces $129M 3Q loss, burns $7.7B in cash (AP)

That is quie impressive - they must have managed to spend $7.6bn on building cars that no one has bought - as a business model I can see this as having some flaws.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: November 07, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »

Reading another blonde thread, which mentioned, I think, the British Empire Union, I was reminded of an organisation I used to use (for business) back in the 70's, called "The Economic League".

I was in Construction, & the Unions were pretty powerful in those days, with wildcat strikes everywhere & suchlike.

I had to deal with a guy called "Red Robbo", who was a bloody nightmare. Sometimes, a Union extremist would sit atop a tower crane for weeks, to stop work on the site. I was on a job - Chester Telephone Exchange - which was halted for 7 months by one such err, "activist", but for political reasons, I had to pay my workforce to "occupy" the Site, & the Main Contracto reimbursed my Company. So I used to visit this site once a week, to pay our guys, who spent all week sat in the cabin playing cards! - and the low-life sat on top of the Tower Crane would try & piss on me from a great height. Happy days.

Anyway, The Economic League existed to maintain a Database of known troublemakers, so every time we took on a new employee, we'd ring a secret number - lol! -  & check his name against the Database. Heaven knows how it was funded.

I imagine Trade Union Laws, the EU, Civil Liberties, Data Protection, etc, killed off the Economic League.

Thinking about this just now, I googled "Economic League" & found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_League_(UK)

I done all sorts of odd things in those days - I was always blessed with interesting jobs - a good few of which I'm truly ashamed to admit now, especially some atrocities against nature. Ah well, too late now.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: November 07, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

That is quie impressive - they must have managed to spend $7.6bn on building cars that no one has bought - as a business model I can see this as having some flaws.

Lol.

Their Accountants must have nightmares!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: November 07, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »

Reading another blonde thread, which mentioned, I think, the British Empire Union, I was reminded of an organisation I used to use (for business) back in the 70's, called "The Economic League".

I was in Construction, & the Unions were pretty powerful in those days, with wildcat strikes everywhere & suchlike.

I had to deal with a guy called "Red Robbo", who was a bloody nightmare. Sometimes, a Union extremist would sit atop a tower crane for weeks, to stop work on the site. I was on a job - Chester Telephone Exchange - which was halted for 7 months by one such err, "activist", but for political reasons, I had to pay my workforce to "occupy" the Site, & the Main Contracto reimbursed my Company. So I used to visit this site once a week, to pay our guys, who spent all week sat in the cabin playing cards! - and the low-life sat on top of the Tower Crane would try & piss on me from a great height. Happy days.

Anyway, The Economic League existed to maintain a Database of known troublemakers, so every time we took on a new employee, we'd ring a secret number - lol! -  & check his name against the Database. Heaven knows how it was funded.

I imagine Trade Union Laws, the EU, Civil Liberties, Data Protection, etc, killed off the Economic League.

Thinking about this just now, I googled "Economic League" & found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_League_(UK)

I done all sorts of odd things in those days - I was always blessed with interesting jobs - a good few of which I'm truly ashamed to admit now, especially some atrocities against nature. Ah well, too late now.

And the workers never had a point in the 70's/80's?

I'm on the wrong side of an aggressive takeover at the moment & the unions who were the worker's protection against the illegal actions of the company who are making 2/3's of us redundant are powerless now.  The Thatcher years followed by Blair's betrayal has swung the pendulum way too far in favour of  the employers. And the fight will be a damn nasty one to regain some power for the worker, because the pendulum will swing back  - and probably too far again, one of the sides needs to learn some restraint.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:23:03 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10294 on: November 07, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »

Lol.

Have a look at the video on this page (not the one at the top, but the one half-way down the page of the Sheerness car import dock in Kent):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7712376.stm

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: November 07, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »

And the workers never had a point in the 70's/80's?

I don't believe I said that Rod. But, let's be right, you called it correctly - there is always a pendalum of extremism which swings too far - both ways. At the time, in the 70's, in Construction (as in the Print Unions & Docks) it went too far one way. IMO, I hastily add.

I guess I had better not comment on my views on Lady Thatcher, eh?

PS - The Chester Telephone Exchange strike took place in 1973. Because I dismissed a man for theft from the site. The basis of the strike was "discrimination".........he claimed that "everyone steals, but you only dismissed me".

Sort that one out.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: November 07, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »

Lol.

Have a look at the video on this page (not the one at the top, but the one half-way down the page of the Sheerness car import dock in Kent):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7712376.stm

Sheesh!

There is a similar "Imported Car Storage Area" by the M4, or M5, near Bristol, if I'm not mistaken, & others at Southampton, & either Hull, or Grimsby, I seem to recall.

Must be a car or two there. Time to buy!

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »

If the predator is on a two year cycle, what do they eat during the intervening years?

This would apply to any long breeding cycle.  I think the cicada has settled for the cycle that is long enough to thwart the decendents of the creatures that gorged on them at the last hatching.  So everything is great in the cicada year, then next year wft there's nothing to eat and the population doesn't increase so much and so on.  They have to wait for the population boom they created to completely die out.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »

On the night of DTD blonde-Bash, 6th April, in Nottingham City Centre, I got lost, & did about five laps of the Town Centre, looking for my turn, I was trying to get to the Vic Centre.

At 3.16am, totally distracted & disorientated by now, & in driving snow, & seemingly lost, my concemtration clearly wavered, I "missed" a red light. Fair enough.

I went through the light, immediately realised, & slammed on the brakes stopping, but well over the line - 2 or 3 metres over the line, maybe more. The "Red-Light Camera" Flashed, too. Pah!

I expected a Summons jobbie but nothing came. Until today. Damn damn damn. 7 months after the incident!

They attached two photos by way of proof. One, with my car "on the line" (& still moving), the other with the car now stopped, or stopping, & well over the line.

At the bottom of each 'photo was an identical worded summary, shown below.

What do you think...

"Speed 1, 20"

&

"Speed 2, 0"

mean?

Does it establish that I did in fact stop - albeit belatedly?

I hold my hands up - I did cross the line - by several metres - but I did stop - eventually.

I'm minded to go to court (well, I have no choice, I've been Summoned!) & argue the case.

I went to the same Court 4 or 5 years ago on similar grounds, "it's a bit marginal M'Lord" for speeding (34mph at 5am), & as it gave me 12 points (I had 9 already) they went easy on me. And Banned me for 6 months. (Part of the reason I retired from work, as I was impotent at my job without a driving licence).

So, do you think it might be wise, this time, to engage a Solicitor to argue my case? I argued my own case last time, & it almost seemed to give offence to the Bench ("what, no Solicitor? - you must be very confident Mr Kendall") - but I had, & have now, nothing to hide, & only the facts to offer. It seems daft to hire a Legal-boddie to say exactly the same truth as I can say.

The photo below is the 2nd pic, my car is upper right, stationary, but well over the line, & you can see how bad the snow was.

The summons also charges me with "failing to produce Documents (Driving Licence & Insurance) between 09/04/08 & 11/05/08". I had no knoledge of this requirement, as I never received a letter asking me to do this - though I fully expected one. Maybe I just missed it, it's possible, oops, but I don't think so.

I currently have 3 points.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:03:26 PM by tikay » Logged

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10299 on: November 07, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »

Jail time for you Mr Kendal!

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: November 07, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »

Jail time for you Mr Kendal!

What if I say I'm a celeb? Wink

Oh, & there are two "l"'s in Kendall. Think "balls".

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: November 07, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »

You called a magistrate mi'lud, no wonder they threw the book at you.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: November 07, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »

You called a magistrate mi'lud, no wonder they threw the book at you.

In fact, it was a female magistrate. I'm not entirely sure I'm cut out for advocacy Ralph.

You recovered from your Croft Quarry hike?

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: November 07, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »

oddly their database wasnt really killed off until the data protection legislation was amended to cover all data, rather than just that held on computers.  
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: November 07, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »

oddly their database wasnt really killed off until the data protection legislation was amended to cover all data, rather than just that held on computers.  

A shame, or I think so. The Database had details of all the agitators & "activists" (troublemakers), who were so numerous at the time, so it was rather handy. But times have changed, the wets rule now, & it's very much frowned upon in modern society to keep, or use, such lists.

Talking of changing times - I was in an office this week, staffed almost entirely by youngsters, all good kids, too. And not one of them thought that Brand & Ross done anything to warrant reprimand.

Different generations & ages see things so differently - not, in itself, necessarily a bad thing I suppose.

Pages: 1 ... 683 684 685 686 [687] 688 689 690 691 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: