blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2029 2030 2031 2032 [2033] 2034 2035 2036 2037 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6334901 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30480 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »

These photos were in the press today - absolutely lovely, I thought. Troops returning home from their Tour in Afghanistan. I believe they are soldiers from the Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Batallion the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

PS - What sort of aircraft would this be, anyone know?

It's not a Ryanair plane obviously.  They're all smiling Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30481 on: December 21, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

Whilst I have little to no experience in a lot of dc games, I'd be very excited at the prospect of any discussion. Unfortunately dc games don't appear in the north east afaik so I can't play regularly but I'd certainly have a crack!

As an aside does dc run at dtd anymore?

Yes, it still runs when the bigger Tourneys are on.

Bit scary though. I sat in a £5 £5 a few weeks ago, I pulled up £1,000, & had the same behind. Good evening's fun should be in prospect.

To my right, Pete Linton plonked £5,000 on the Table, to HIS right Richard Berridge did the same, & Pete & Richard proceeded to get the bloody lot in first hand, for a £10k pot. Eek. They were both going for the Low, but somehow they BOTH hit a K flush in Super-Stud, but Pete's kicker was a spot better.

Some words are then exchanged, & Pete announces that EVERY TIME Richard Berridge pots it (which is almost every hand he plays), Pete will RE-POT it. 

If you wanted an exercise in pot control that night, or only entering pots where my holding was correct, you should have sat & watched me. Yikes. But at least I was in the nut seat.

I got a bit lucky, & my £1,000 was soon £2,500, which is a lot of cash to me, & I'm happy with my evening already.

Then we play a hand of 6 card High, & I'm dealt.....

I mean, what is a man supposed to do? I never considered the fold, obv, but I was not THAT keen to spunk off £2,500. Game too big for me, see?

Mr Berridge raised (Pete was temporarily absent), I re-potted, I KNOW Rich will call me or re-pot, but then JAKALLY moves all-in for £750 or somesuch. Well actually, I like that, because he has done the isolating for me. This is good, right? Then Richard says "well I KNOW Kendall has the Aces, & I KNOW JAKALLY has ACES or Kings, so my bag of bollocks is almost certainly live".......and HE calls too now.

You could have heard my arse squeaking from Trent Bridge.

Anyway, the whole point is that - for me - when the game gets that big, I really do play MUCH much better, not dribbly-calling with mediocres, just entering Pots where I am prepared to commit.

Not had as much fun at the table in ages, & I played pretty well, by my standards, too.

But did you win that hand?

Umm, no!

When Richard called the re-pot by JAKALLY, I did not want to give myself the option of bottling it on a bad flop (I am fully capable of so doing.....), & so I said "let's get the lot in".

I even flopped my Ace, happy days, but it came three clubs, & Richard immediately announced "nuts", he had the K-flush, & I missed the pair up.

So that was that. I was reluctant to sit out so early in the evening, so I decided to go fetch my reserve £1,000, at which point, JAKALLY kindly loaned me £1,000.

I eventually got up at 3am, I had £2,990 in front of me, paid Neil his £1,000, deduct my pull-up, so a nice profit in the end.

Wish I could go play DC every night, but I jiust don't have the time or energy nowadays.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:38:58 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30482 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »

My money is on a Hercules Tikay.

Thanks.

I'd better go googling now, I'm quite keen to see what that 'plane looks like. Looks pretty big!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #30483 on: December 21, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »

PLO can be so brutal sometimes, but I guess that's why I love it.
I've not got enough experience for the other DC games and I just don't play enough nowadays. Hopefully that will change in the new year.

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30484 on: December 21, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »

An odd postscript to that big DC hand, was that whilst Rich Berridge was mulling his options after Jakally had re-potted, Rich said to me "if you lose the lot, will you get up & go, or do you have cash behind so you can stay?"

I took it as a genuine question.

Mock away, I don't care. Wink

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30485 on: December 21, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »

PLO can be so brutal sometimes, but I guess that's why I love it.I've not got enough experience for the other DC games and I just don't play enough nowadays. Hopefully that will change in the new year.

Very much, & me too.

I would play Omaha or DC every day of my life if I could, if I had the time.

PS - And the money......

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #30486 on: December 21, 2012, 05:44:47 PM »

Thanks.

I'd better go googling now, I'm quite keen to see what that 'plane looks like. Looks pretty big!

Second thoughts it could be a Boeing Globemaster.
Funny thing I work for Boeing.

Ah! The element of surprise
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30487 on: December 21, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

how would you compare the DC at DTD compared to Luton?

Chalk & cheese Jim.

Both are great company, nothing to choose really, I've been playing with the players in both games for north of 10 or 12 years, & they are mostly friends.

The DTD game is MUCH much bigger though, and occassionally an awkward dynamic develops between a certain group of players, so I generally exit when that scenario develops. You can so easily get isolated by 2 or 3 players who are playing together.

Luton is far smaller, but no less fun, & I play less scared there, as the sums are smaller. And then there's the Neil factor. Wink Neil iused to scare me, but I'll take him on now.

I much enjoy(ed)  the company of Murray (RIP), & Gino, but it is almost impossible to get "value" from either of them, they were very competent, & always knew exactly where they were in a hand. I don't much like getting in Super-Stud pots with you, either. Too good......

Chinese Alan is decent, too, but as the evening wears on, & the stakes get bigger, he gets very strong indeed. Good player, imo.

Luke Bayliss is fun, aggro, & loves putting pressure on, so I prefer to have position on him.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30488 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

Thanks.

Second thoughts it could be a Boeing Globemaster.
Funny thing I work for Boeing.

Wowzer, what a monster, what a beauty!

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30489 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »

Blimey! How much have you got? Mine's in a tobacco tin at the back of the wardrobe.

The older I get, the better I was.
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #30490 on: December 21, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »

PLO can be so brutal sometimes, but I guess that's why I love it.I've not got enough experience for the other DC games and I just don't play enough nowadays. Hopefully that will change in the new year.

Very much, & me too.

PS - And the money......
can you talk about the big hand you were involved in last month. It was the night of the meeting with Rob and I was watching the heads up. It was a multi way pot and Wadey had a massive drawing hand but as I recall you scooped. Fortunately on that occasion the game broke not long after.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30491 on: December 21, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

Most people see s/stud as the most gamble of all the dc games whereas I consider it the most skilful or at least the game players play with least skill.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30492 on: December 21, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »

Very much, & me too.

PS - And the money......
can you talk about the big hand you were involved in last month. It was the night of the meeting with Rob and I was watching the heads up. It was a multi way pot and Wadey had a massive drawing hand but as I recall you scooped. Fortunately on that occasion the game broke not long after.

That was the previous occasion I played the DTD DC game.

Wadey had lost every pot he had played, it was painful to watch, he ran terribly badly.

He & I got into a very big pot in S-S, just the 2 of us by 4th street.

We both had huge draws both ends, we are (I like to think) both good enough not to get into a £2k+ pot drawing to one end only.

I needed any spade for the high, and any low for a decent low.

My down card was the absolute nut card, the  two spades, which gave me the wheel AND the nut flush!

If I drew badly on 7th street, all I had was a bad low, which was dead anyway, as it turned out. (Wadey had the 6 low I think, + 2 pair).

I reald all this stuff about Level 5 skill & the like, but up to a point, run-good is a large part of it, variance in those games in massive, you just need to try & be very selective with starting hands, & run good.

I really felt for him, to be honest.

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #30493 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »

Very much, & me too.

PS - And the money......

That was the previous occasion I played the DTD DC game.

Wadey had lost every pot he had played, it was painful to watch, he ran terribly badly.

He & I got into a very big pot in S-S, just the 2 of us by 4th street.

We both had huge draws both ends, we are (I like to think) both good enough not to get into a £2k+ pot drawing to one end only.

I needed any spade for the high, and any low for a decent low.

My down card was the absolute nut card, the  two spades, which gave me the wheel AND the nut flush!

If I drew badly on 7th street, all I had was a bad low, which was dead anyway, as it turned out. (Wadey had the 6 low I think, + 2 pair).

I reald all this stuff about Level 5 skill & the like, but up to a point, run-good is a large part of it, variance in those games in massive, you just need to try & be very selective with starting hands, & run good.

I really felt for him, to be honest.
yes Wadey is a very capable player and runs terribly bad. The big all ins in Dtd generate quite a crowd and usually involve Wadey standing up berating his mis fortune. He starts throwing his cards down one by one saying to either Bash or Richard "how can I lose this hand? I have this with this and re drawing to this."

But let's not feel to down for him he has won some massive tournies in Dtd and St Kitts Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:22:17 PM by smashedagain » Logged

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
Machka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30494 on: December 21, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »

You completely lost me there Aaron. I did not even know what a "Fractal" was, I had never even heard of such a thing. I'm not sure if that is just me being ignorant, or because it is such a rare thing. I bet the likes of Tighty, Jen, James Keys, Doobs & Co all knew though.

Anyway, I had a good read, & I'm not sure I am any the wiser now......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

I went to google images, & this is what it showed me.

PS - What are you buying Leon for Xmas? Bet it's not an X--Box, or computer game. Wink

Actually Fractals are incredibly common, they are all around us, a fern leaf, a cauliflower, lightning, frost.  But you're right, it's not easy to understand.  But it's always incredibly beautiful.

Leo is always fascinated by facts and to break from the annual (no pun intended) Guinness Book of Records I buy him he's getting a Ripley's Believe it or Not this year.  Page upon page of weird and wonderful nonsense for him to consume.

He also showed interest in a telescope we saw at Tesco so I've gone online, found a really nice one and bought him that.

I expect I'll be using it more than him!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:33:02 PM by Machka » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 2029 2030 2031 2032 [2033] 2034 2035 2036 2037 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: