blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 2181 2182 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6333914 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32655 on: May 24, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »

They have different origins, too; some come from Latin and some from the Germanic languages.

According to etymonline.com, limb (as in an arm or a leg) was originally lim but the b was added sometime around the sixteenth century. Lim in that sense seems to be Germanic.

The sense of limb meaning an edge or fringe has always carried the b, coming from the Latin limbus.

Ahh, I see.

Guess that'd be the rule of thumb.

That, I was once told, is the width of the stick you can legally beat your wife with.

It wasn't a hard and fast rule, but gave some guidance to judges about whether the defendant's admonishing were excessively cruel.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #32656 on: May 24, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »

Andrew put that up a few pages ago, but it got lost in the cement/concert stuff and wasn't acknowledged.

I thought it was excellent, Andrew.

Wow, I thought everything was black or white until the 60's.

I thought that and then the other day I noticed The Wizard of Oz was made in 1939.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32657 on: May 24, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »

They have different origins, too; some come from Latin and some from the Germanic languages.

According to etymonline.com, limb (as in an arm or a leg) was originally lim but the b was added sometime around the sixteenth century. Lim in that sense seems to be Germanic.

The sense of limb meaning an edge or fringe has always carried the b, coming from the Latin limbus.

Ahh, I see.

That, I was once told, is the width of the stick you can legally beat your wife with.

It wasn't a hard and fast rule, but gave some guidance to judges about whether the defendant's admonishing were excessively cruel.

I was too subtle.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32658 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

Ahh, I see.

I was too subtle.

Don't doubt for a second that neither escaped my attention.

As you know - while you condemn the psychology behind silent letters - there seems to be neither rhyme nor reason for these added limbs; they are just worn like a handsome badge.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32659 on: May 24, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »

Ahh, I see.

I was too subtle.

As you know - while you condemn the psychology behind silent letters - there seems to be neither rhyme nor reason for these added limbs; they are just worn like a handsome badge.

I don't condemn them, I'm just curious at how they came to be there, & I wonder how on earth non-English speakers learn our language. 

Do our American friends include these silent letters?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32660 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32661 on: May 24, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »

Well if they cannot spell simple words like colour (color) how are they going to cope with crumb?

EDIT - Actually - that reads badly. They choose to spell such words differently. I was not suggesting they were dum
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:38:19 AM by tikay » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32662 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »

Think I was too subtle

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32663 on: May 24, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »

Think I was too subtle

Bugger.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32664 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »

Ahh, I see.

I was too subtle.

B, D, H, K, N and P

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32665 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »

Sutle.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32666 on: May 24, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »

Psychology is a more understandable one, because it comes fr a Greek word (ψυχή) where there is no equivalent in English to the first letter, which we spell as psi and pronounce "sigh" (yes, I see what I did there).

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32667 on: May 24, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »

I was going to apologise for the derail (I pretty much have an autotext for that on blonde), but I think that's the point of this thread, isn't it? An anthology, rather than a narrative?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32668 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

Meanwhile, proper emergency at Heathrow this morning......

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/515531-incident-heathrow.html

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32669 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »

I was going to apologise for the derail (I pretty much have an autotext for that on blonde), but I think that's the point of this thread, isn't it? An anthology, rather than a narrative?

No idea what that means, but if it is bollox & blather you want, Tom's Diary is the place.

Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 2181 2182 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: