blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2458 2459 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 2465 2466 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6335106 times)
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #36915 on: April 02, 2014, 12:31:33 PM »

definetely great way to spend couple hours. 3 mates have barges so have spent a fair amount of time messing about on that stretch of river.

they live on eel pie island in twickenham, the stretch from kingston to richmond is a nice trip,by boat or on foot.

think you would enjoy having a wander round eel pie island.  big dry dock where they repair boats etc plus loads of v small workshops which have an open day every summer.

big nature reserve on the far side as well. have taken friends there from up north and they cant believe its london. likewise bushy park etc.  great part of the city.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:35:11 PM by bagel » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36916 on: April 02, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »

definetely great way to spend couple hours. 3 mates have barges so have spent a fair amount of time messing about on that stretch of river.

they live on eel pie island in twickenham, the stretch from kingston to richmond is a nice trip,by boat or on foot.

think you would enjoy having a wander round eel pie island.  big dry dock where they repair boats etc plus loads of v small workshops which have an open day every summer.

big nature reserve on the far side as well. have taken friends there from up north and they cant believe its london. likewise bushy park etc.  great part of the city.

I think that'd be a lovely walk, actually, I assume there is a riverside footpath from Hampton Court to Richmond?

I know Eel Pie Island quite well, been there several times down the years, used to go to rock concerts there back in the day.

Quite an interesting recent history, too, with mysterious fires, "invasions", & all sorts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_Pie_Island

During my last diet, I was on a bit of an exercise kick, & I walked along the river side from Hampton Court to right down to the lovely new bridge @ Walton-on-Thames. Reckon that is about 30 miles. Each way. Took me a fortnight to recover.

Bushy Park, too, England at it's finest, with Deer & other animally things roaming around.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #36917 on: April 02, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

yeah you can walk all the way between the two.

just looked at that wiki page, i knew the who had played there but had no idea rolling stones pink floyd had also done so.

who did you see there?

i can imagine back then a lot of people were over indulging themselves .

i hope you were on best behaviour.

doubt it somehow.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36918 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »

yeah you can walk all the way between the two.

just looked at that wiki page, i knew the who had played there but had no idea rolling stones pink floyd had also done so.

who did you see there?

i can imagine back then a lot of people were over indulging themselves .

i hope you were on best behaviour.

doubt it somehow.

Me? Over-indulge? Nah, not really.

I drunk way too much alcohol as a teen, but I quit alcohol completely on my 21st Birthday, or the day after. There was a lot of weed & the like being used back in the day, but that was never my scene. I got in with a bad crowd when I was drinking, & then a nasty situation arose, involving some stolen cars & a guy that got run over & killed, & it all got very nasty. We used to roam the pubs on a Friday night before going to a party somewhere, & the ring-leaders would hot wire 1 or 2 cars, & we'd all pile in & off we go. It never seemed stupid at the time......but then the accident went off, & one kid got sent down.

Eel Pie Island gigs. In the early days - pre-fame - I saw Rod Stewart, & the 'Stones there, both of whom I also saw at Ealing Jazz Club. 

The Jaggers lived in North Ealing at the time. My Paper-round included Jagger's parents, Matt Monro, Sid James, (who was on the North Circular, just south of Ealing Common, near Gunnersbury), Sean Connery, who lived in Acton Vale, & Adam Faith, who lived in Churchfield Road.

Going back to those Groups who played on Eel Pie Island, I was not aware (until I read that Wiki page) that Pink Floyd played there, but ironically, their studio-boat thing is still moored smack bank opposite where I'm living at the moment, & it was there that they (supposedly) recorded much of their stuff, though not DSOTM.

The boat is called Astoria, & if you know the area, it's sort of close by Hampton Churchy thing, on the north bank of the river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astoria_(recording_studio)

How about this for a lovely scene?

The boat has room for a 90 piece orchestra to play in the open air, & was supposedly originally built for Fred Karno, he of Fred Karno's Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Karno

I'm rambling again.

All done. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
philthepower

View Profile
« Reply #36919 on: April 02, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »

I thought that, with your love of the "poor man's punctuation mark", you'd enjoy this April Fools' joke from Penguin books:

http://www.penguin.co.uk/editorial/penguin-now/

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36920 on: April 02, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »

thats kingston. i worked on the building site where metro bank is for a while last year.

not guilty of painting ridic yellow lines though.

guilty of wasting too much money in the crappy little pub next door .

Correct, Kingston Upon Thames.

I shall be taking a little boat-ride at the weekeed, from Hampton Court to Kingston, along the beautiful Thames, surely England's finest river?

Well since you're asking, the Dart isn't bad.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=981&bih=488&q=river+dart&oq=river+dar&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.1292.6264.0.8706.9.9.0.0.0.0.106.750.8j1.9.0....0...1ac.1.39.img..0.9.734.8qRf9CtgiTk

The older I get, the better I was.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #36921 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

thats kingston. i worked on the building site where metro bank is for a while last year.

not guilty of painting ridic yellow lines though.

guilty of wasting too much money in the crappy little pub next door .

Correct, Kingston Upon Thames.

I shall be taking a little boat-ride at the weekeed, from Hampton Court to Kingston, along the beautiful Thames, surely England's finest river?

Well since you're asking, the Dart isn't bad.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=981&bih=488&q=river+dart&oq=river+dar&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.1292.6264.0.8706.9.9.0.0.0.0.106.750.8j1.9.0....0...1ac.1.39.img..0.9.734.8qRf9CtgiTk

Meh obviously none of you have ever been to Teeside.  Sometimes the River Tees is this beautiful bright orange colour especially when near the chemical works for  some reason......

Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #36922 on: April 02, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

I thought that, with your love of the "poor man's punctuation mark", you'd enjoy this April Fools' joke from Penguin books:

This line at the end of the article tickled me.

The Penguin Now! list is also set to be supplemented by a range of corresponding audiobooks, read by Brian Blessed.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #36923 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »

This line at the end of the article tickled me.

The Penguin Now! list is also set to be supplemented by a range of corresponding audiobooks, read by Brian Blessed.

I think that rather like Westward Ho!, Brian Blessed should have an exclamation mark after his name.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #36924 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »

Is there any betting on whodunnit in "Dial M For Murder"?

The fact that they take bets on wrestlemania triggers my curiosity.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #36925 on: April 02, 2014, 09:46:53 PM »

Is there any betting on whodunnit in "Dial M For Murder"?

The fact that they take bets on wrestlemania triggers my curiosity.

If they do a Columbo market, I'm in.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36926 on: April 03, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »

I'd be all over a Quincy market.

Cymru am byth
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #36927 on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »

I'd be all over a Quincy market.

Quincy was, of course, The Greatest Scientist Who Ever Live

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36928 on: April 03, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »

The theatre is great. You like frankie valli and the four seasons? I saw the jersey boys recently, again. Worth a visit.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36929 on: April 07, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »

big nature reserve on the far side as well. have taken friends there from up north and they cant believe its london. likewise bushy park etc.  great part of the city.

I think that'd be a lovely walk, actually, I assume there is a riverside footpath from Hampton Court to Richmond?

I know Eel Pie Island quite well, been there several times down the years, used to go to rock concerts there back in the day.

Quite an interesting recent history, too, with mysterious fires, "invasions", & all sorts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_Pie_Island

During my last diet, I was on a bit of an exercise kick, & I walked along the river side from Hampton Court to right down to the lovely new bridge @ Walton-on-Thames. Reckon that is about 30 miles. Each way. Took me a fortnight to recover.

Bushy Park, too, England at it's finest, with Deer & other animally things roaming around.

Did I get whooshed here? It's about 5 miles isn't it? About 90 mins walk?
Pages: 1 ... 2458 2459 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 2465 2466 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: