blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2611 2612 2613 2614 [2615] 2616 2617 2618 2619 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6331451 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39210 on: August 01, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »

Never quite understood why he was called "Mad", seems such a friendly looking chap.

Has anyone ever seen Frankie and Ralph in the same room?

Click to see full-size image.

Now that IS scary.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39211 on: August 01, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »

Every time one of these piers go up in flames (which happens surprisingly regularly given that they're surrounded by water) I immediately think 'insurance job'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39212 on: August 01, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »

Now we find that, incredibly, there is a National Piers Society. No, there is.

http://www.piers.org.uk/

Not just piers, either, they do jetties, too. Jetties. A directory of jetties.

Hundreds of them. Someone went right round the UK cataloging hundreds of jetties. There are scores of them on The Thames alone, look.....

http://www.piers.org.uk/pierpages/NPS0smallpiers.html

How totally great is that?

Got a Twitter page & everything.

@PiersSociety

Their Twitter page lit up yesterday, what with Eastbourne & everything. 301 Followers, too. What a day they all had.

Wike page? Of course!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Piers_Society

Got some posh & famous Patrons, too - Timothy West, Gyles Brandeth, & Posh Bird Dame Joan Bakewell.

What a shame, though, that the Chairman is a mere CBE. It would be totally awesome if the Piers Society were to be be Chaired by a Knight of the realm, it'd be almost like Lord Judge Judge.

Meh! Too obv.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39213 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »

OK, I've reached the end of the pier road.

Pretty boring really.

But it took me around 10 minutes to research all that, thanks to the totally awesome power of the internet. One little story, & we can learn all those things in minutes.

And that's the whole thing really. We have less & less excuses not to educate ourselves better, even in the poorest parts of the world. That has to be the greatest thing ever.

Not sure it's working, but it ought to.   

I'm done.

Got a bunch of Aldi stories in the pipeline, & reply to Booder's railway story. How fascinating can life get?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39214 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »

Every time one of these piers go up in flames (which happens surprisingly regularly given that they're surrounded by water) I immediately think 'insurance job'

Well, yes, exactly, hence I sort of gently nodded in that direction with the Mad Ralph Frankie story. Did not want to really say as much, but that was the direction my barge was heading. Most UK seaside piers burn down several times in their lifetime. Think Brighton has an annual pier-burning tradition.

I mean, why would you own a bloody seaside pier? It's all maintenance costs, ridic insurance rates, & the headaches of Listed Buildings, pain pain pain. Where can profit ever come from? Something smells a bit iffy to me.

Which reminds me. You claimed, a few days back, in this very Diary, that you worked in a Tesco store. Bugger off, I'm not buying that. You are posh, & educated, bit like Tal Bloke & Tighty. You worked in Tescos? I raise.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39215 on: August 01, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »

Well, yes, exactly, hence I sort of gently nodded in that direction with the Mad Ralph Frankie story. Did not want to really say as much, but that was the direction my barge was heading. Most UK seaside piers burn down several times in their lifetime. Think Brighton has an annual pier-burning tradition.

I mean, why would you own a bloody seaside pier? It's all maintenance costs, ridic insurance rates, & the headaches of Listed Buildings, pain pain pain. Where can profit ever come from? Something smells a bit iffy to me.

Which reminds me. You claimed, a few days back, in this very Diary, that you worked in a Tesco store. Bugger off, I'm not buying that. You are posh, & educated, bit like Tal Bloke & Tighty. You worked in Tescos? I raise.

He didn't say he was the guy who collects the trolleys. Probably in charge of the quails' eggs and couscous

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #39216 on: August 01, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »

Very surprised to see said luminary Timothy West playing a role in Eastenders atm.

Do hope its not the defining moment of his career to the under 40s.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #39217 on: August 01, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »

Locals were, variously, outraged, bemused & indifferent.

One local dignitary prayed - literally - for it's survival.

A couple who were due to get married on the pier next month (what, why?) burst into mutual floods of tears.

One young lady, seemingly indiffernt to the piers fate, posted a pic on Twitter with the comment....

shits on fire, yo

For which she got abused wholesale by the Pier sympathisers.  

The photo was a right shocker though, who could not be mortified & upset by this quite dreadful photo?

Click to see full-size image.

Shocking, abso schocking.

Dont get to many residents like that here Smiley

Looks very unlikely it was an insurance job, the part that started the fire has looked likely to fall apart from the 15 years i have been here
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39218 on: August 01, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

Very surprised to see said luminary Timothy West playing a role in Eastenders atm.

Like the curse of steptoe?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39219 on: August 01, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

Timothy West in Eastenders? Wow. Must be some story behind that. Proper line up in that Show now, Dirty Den, Mike Reid and now Timothy West. Incred.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39220 on: August 01, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »

Haven't played poker in agessince this week but been enjoying a bit of zoom plo on stars this week with a small profit. Seriously tempted to crawl out of the woodwork and use it for a shot at tonight's game. Let me know if you're going and we can have that long overdue coffee and catch up beforehand x

Ha!

Might just do that. Claire, At-It-Bradley, what a line up. Make sure you wear some knickers though.

You play Zoom PLO? Good lord. For some reason that surprises me.

Thanks for the info. I'll see you there then, that'll do me. Hopefully I manage to get to the 5 card variant before I've used both entries...

Ian, Claire.

Will likely be there at about 6.30 PM for 7pm start.

Will NOT have my phone with me, battery dead, left the charger at work.

Am so totally gonna flick it in.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39221 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »

Haven't played poker in agessince this week but been enjoying a bit of zoom plo on stars this week with a small profit. Seriously tempted to crawl out of the woodwork and use it for a shot at tonight's game. Let me know if you're going and we can have that long overdue coffee and catch up beforehand x

Ha!

Might just do that. Claire, At-It-Bradley, what a line up. Make sure you wear some knickers though.

Thanks for the info. I'll see you there then, that'll do me. Hopefully I manage to get to the 5 card variant before I've used both entries...

Ian, Claire.

Man with no phone meets girl with no drawers....   

It can only end in tears.

The older I get, the better I was.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #39222 on: August 01, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »

Ha!

Ian, Claire.

I'm not feeling too clever so going to be boring/sensible (delete as applicable) and stay home for an early night instead.  TIF MOF etc!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39223 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »

Ha!

Ian, Claire.

I'm not feeling too clever so going to be boring/sensible (delete as applicable) and stay home for an early night instead.  TIF MOF etc!

Lol. Now I've reversed back into dither mode myself.

Gamblor21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39224 on: August 01, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »

Ha!

Ian, Claire.

Lol. Now I've reversed back into dither mode myself.

I'm not the draw that Claire is, though I'll be there. Probably about the same sort of time (6:30ish) as I'm coming straight from work.

I'll buy you a coffee to seal the deal.

Hear me knocking... Let me in then!
Pages: 1 ... 2611 2612 2613 2614 [2615] 2616 2617 2618 2619 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: