blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2626 2627 2628 2629 [2630] 2631 2632 2633 2634 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6335221 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39435 on: September 06, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »

Was talking to someone the other day who works for Airbus. From what I gather, they're making a new 'plane, which is like their biggest one but with only one deck (if that makes sense?). They have orders for 1,000 a month.

I appreciate it's a huge operation, but 33 rolling off the forecourt every day is an impressive number.

How do you deliver a 'plane? Is that the world's stupidest question? Do they fly them from France?

Surely they are winding you up?  Where do they send 1000 a month to, even if they could build them that quickly.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39436 on: September 06, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »

Was talking to someone the other day who works for Airbus. From what I gather, they're making a new 'plane, which is like their biggest one but with only one deck (if that makes sense?). They have orders for 1,000 a month.

I appreciate it's a huge operation, but 33 rolling off the forecourt every day is an impressive number.

How do you deliver a 'plane? Is that the world's stupidest question? Do they fly them from France?

Surely they are winding you up?  Where do they send 1000 a month to, even if they could build them that quickly.

Sure that's what he said. Could that be the total number of 'planes ordered, rather than just one model? Was surprised but figured Boeing and Airbus keep churning them out to refresh the older models?

Lack of business understanding beginning to shine through...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #39437 on: September 06, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »

10 a month is probably a bit more likely for an Airbus high volume aircraft. Aircraft production is a pretty low volume pursuit but with typically very long life cycles so numbers end up pretty good.

I was discussing production rates the other day for the next 10 years or so for the new F35 Joint Strike Fighter being produced by Lockheed Martin. A stat came up that seemed quite staggering to me.

The F16 is a kinda iconic US jet fighter, the new JSF will replace it - how many F16s would you think had been made - Tal probs shouldn't guess as yr gonna say like 50,000 or something

sola virtus nobilitat
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #39438 on: September 06, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »

Nirvana to the rescue. Exit Tal.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #39439 on: September 06, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »

lol, you should look it up tho, fascinating subjects some of these arms race numbers

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39440 on: September 06, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »

lol, you should look it up tho, fascinating subjects some of these arms race numbers

Am just going to guess at 5k.  I haven't looked it up, but guess the US got at least 1000, and they seem to be everywhere.  Hoping I don't have to do the Tal walk of shame.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39441 on: September 06, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

I just did. Mind-blowing.

4,540+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Even more mind-blowing, a huge number of them are currently redundant & "in storage" @ the Davis Montha Air Force Base in Tuscan, Arizona, aka "the boneyard".

There are 4,340 "stored" Military Aircraft there.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:31:55 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #39442 on: September 06, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »

Tinypic seems really good for photos etc, super easy to use.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #39443 on: September 06, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »

Am just going to guess at 5k.  I haven't looked it up, but guess the US got at least 1000, and they seem to be everywhere.  Hoping I don't have to do the Tal walk of shame.

Pretty good from someone not in the field, not sure my game is going to take off so the reveal is 4500 ish. That's a lot of fighters all sat around doing nothing much. Also quite amazing that a jet that is widely in service today across a number of countries was developed and first made around 40 years ago - when you think of the technological change that has happened in other fields in that time I think it's quite amazing that the foremost fighter has been around this long. Anyway, this is in danger of becoming a 'concrete' moment so I'll walk on by.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39444 on: September 06, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »

I just did. Mind-blowing.

4,540+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Even more mind-blowing, a huge number of them are currently redundant & "in storage" at NOVA, @ the Davis Montha Air Force Base in Tuscan, Arizona, aka "the boneyard".

There are 4,340 "stored" Military Aircraft there.

ooh, saved from the walk of shame

Astonishing how long they have been making them.  I had a model when I was a kid and am now an old fart. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39445 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »

And it gets better, or worse.

What would an alien from another planet make of this nonsense?

Methods used to disassemble planes could be crude but effective. To meet U.S. obligations under the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, or START, which called in part for the destruction of hundreds of heavy bombers, AMARC eliminated 314 B-52 aircraft. After removing parts for reuse in operational B-52H bombers, AMARC teams turned for most of these eliminations to a makeshift guillotine: a crane that dropped a 13,000-pound blade of steel from a height of 80 feet onto the aircraft. First the wings were sliced off, then the fuselage was cut into five pieces. The dismembered carcass was left where it lay for 90 days to enable the Commonwealth of Independent States—the other signatories of START—to verify the disassemblies by satellite.

From......

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/where-combat-planes-retire.html

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39446 on: September 06, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

You need to get out more Ray.

Oh, Tom already told you that, right?

PS - Thanks.

Imgur seems to work beautifully on my Company Lappie, but not so good on the one I have at home, which, to be fair, is quite ancient. It has valves & things.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #39447 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »

And it gets better, or worse.

What would an alien from another planet make of this nonsense?

Methods used to disassemble planes could be crude but effective. To meet U.S. obligations under the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, or START, which called in part for the destruction of hundreds of heavy bombers, AMARC eliminated 314 B-52 aircraft. After removing parts for reuse in operational B-52H bombers, AMARC teams turned for most of these eliminations to a makeshift guillotine: a crane that dropped a 13,000-pound blade of steel from a height of 80 feet onto the aircraft. First the wings were sliced off, then the fuselage was cut into five pieces. The dismembered carcass was left where it lay for 90 days to enable the Commonwealth of Independent States—the other signatories of START—to verify the disassemblies by satellite.

From......

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/where-combat-planes-retire.html

As you often allude to, aint the internet great

sola virtus nobilitat
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #39448 on: September 06, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »

You need to get out more Ray.

Oh, Tom already told you that, right?

PS - Thanks.

Imgur seems to work beautifully on my Company Lappie, but not so good on the one I have at home, which, to be fair, is quite ancient. It has valves & things.

I can't blidey win, well we all know that but... bunch of jokers  Tongue
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #39449 on: September 06, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »

All well and good praising the f-16 but it would be hopeless in air combat against anything used today, the reality is air combat just hasn't happened on any large scale for so damn long.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: 1 ... 2626 2627 2628 2629 [2630] 2631 2632 2633 2634 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: