blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2705 2706 2707 2708 [2709] 2710 2711 2712 2713 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6332193 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40620 on: December 14, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »

Are you a cricket fan Tony? I'm reading a cracking book at the moment called The Final Over - The Cricketers Of Summer 1914 by Christopher Sandford. A little bit like the 1927 book you recommended, takes you right back to the era and follows cricketers who fought in WW1. Either get it or pm me an address and I'll send it to you when I return from my Winter hols. Really trying to recycle books to people who would enjoy them because moving house is becoming a real pain with so many books. Proper hardback too, no messing.

Did you know James Barrie set up a cricket team? Players included Arthur Conan Doyle, Willie Hornung, A.A.Milne and P.G.Wodehouse.

"As soon as he announced he was raising a team, Barrie was deluged with applications by players not only from Britain but all over Europe. The side's first fixture did not bode well for this cosmopolitan line-up: one French player turned up wearing pyjamas, a colleague extended the idea by falling asleep in the outfield, while a third man, a Belgian, thought the game had finished every time the umpire called "Over".

What's more, Arthur Conan Doyle once achieved the unusual distinction of managing to set himself on fire when batting

Yes, sort of. Test Cricket, yes yes yes, I could watch every ball of every over of any Test, between any 2 teams, anywhere. Silly Cricket, not so much. Not at all, in fact. Silly Cricket, the One Day variants, reminds me of Zoom Poker, or the old "Test Match Highlights" which dear old Richie Benaud used to host, I much prefer to see the game played properly. It's an age thing I suppose.

As to books, I think Cricket & Golf - more so golf, but both qualify - are far the best sports to read about & seem to attract some wonderful authors. Somehow it does not work with Football, NFL, NBA & the like.

The 1950's & 1960's MotorSport books are pretty good, too, & some of the older Horse Racing stuff.

These might juist be my two favourite books lifetime, & are both deffo in my Top Ten.

The Authors are The Rt Hon George Lambton, & Henry Longhurst, respectively. Both are set a very long time in the past, but are wonderful reads. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40621 on: December 14, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »

Books you say? šŸ˜‰

I expected that even as I wrote that Post, lol.

My apologies, I really must sort that out.

Any joy on the job front?

Mum any better?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #40622 on: December 14, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »

Books you say? šŸ˜‰

I expected that even as I wrote that Post, lol.

My apologies, I really must sort that out.

Any joy on the job front?

Mum any better?

Smiley

i am stuck on a train at a signal failure in a carriage with at least 10 quite elderly men dressed up in Santa outfits

Yep not to bad thanks hopefully better news on the job front will soon see

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #40623 on: December 14, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »

Where did you go for your "winter holiday"? Must say, I did not realise you were quite so posh. Only Flushy does winter hols in my circle.

The 2 weeks leading up to Christmas are a ghastly time of year right? So itā€™s the perfect opportunity for a holiday. Relentless adverts on the telly hawking all manner of shite, coupled with a tangible sense of panic in the supermarkets as people jostle for sprouts. Everywhere you go Slade is droning on in the background and the weather is just fine if youā€™re a frickin eskimo. Bah!! Alternatively you can crash on a lounger in the blazing hot sun while the waiter brings you another ice cold beer. No brainer really. Fly back Xmas Eve, dinner with the family, job done!

Thought weā€™d give Sharm El Sheikh a bash this year cos its 80 degrees and we fancy a bit of scuba in the Red Sea. Really enjoying it and the hotel is great. That said something that belongs in the "piss me off thread" is the vast array of stuff I find thatā€™s not actually included in an all-inclusive package.

In our hotel there is one main restaurant and 3 a la carte ones. This is advertised as ā€œa wide selection of restaurantsā€. Fair enough. However, you can only visit each a la carte option once; hence this is misleading because 80% of the time you donā€™t, in fact, have a wide selection of restaurants. You are required to pay extra if you want wifi in your room, if you want to quaff branded drinks, mini bar charges, spa treatments, trips & excursions & God only knows what else. Really does irk me. And there are a couple of other areas of hospitality in this supposedly 5 star jobbie which are not 'just so'.  

Now I donā€™t know if youā€™ve noticed but Iā€™m not averse to speaking up if I donā€™t agree with things? And with large scale hospitality being my vocation these trips can turn into a bit of a busmanā€™s holiday if things are not 'just so'. Iā€™ve already had several lengthy consultations with the General Manager in his office by way of educating him about how best to run his hotel and how to achieve winning hospitality. And Iā€™m sure he really appreciates my input Wink

Despite the challenge of a language barrier my points have been well constructed and I feel heā€™s starting to understand the immense joy available to a manager who is willing to offer outstanding service to his guests. Iā€™m not a whingey complainer type but a complainer who actively seeks a constructive solution and a way forward. Maybe I'm not a complainer at all but a teacher or an instructor!?! Waleedā€™s progress is remarkable as today we were upgraded to a beachfront suite which should cost a sweltering Ā£327 per week extra. I have been granted free access to wifi anywhere in the hotel. I can help myself to the now gratis mini bar. I can eat in my choice of a la carte restaurants every night. I can take advantage of free scuba. The waiters are now calling me Sir Mr. Mark. And randomly a fruit platter is delivered to the room on a daily basis. This is why I donā€™t read the small print. If youā€™re good with people there is no need to waste time wading through pages of that shite. Just empower them to believe they can make the impossible possible.

It also helps that I bought a rather fancy TripAdvisor luggage tag from Ebay which is the size of one of those comedy cards on Bruce Forsythā€™s Play Your Cardā€™s Right. Itā€™s attached to my lappy bag which I take everywhere, it says TripAdvisor Reviewer and flaps in the wind like an massive sail. Surprising how accommodating people become!!

Mrs Mantis has just told me how embarrassing I am as she picks through her exotic fruit platter on her new beachfront balcony with a big smile on her face. Sheā€™s more ironic than an all-inclusive package that woman!!

Happy Xmas Tikay xx
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:12:43 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40624 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »

This was an armed police officer at a siege in Sydney.

Wonder how these guys are supposed to move about in all that gear?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40625 on: December 15, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »

A guy named Dave West was murdered at his Mayfair home on Friday. His son has been arrested & charged with his murder.

He is credited with creating one of the original "Booze Cash & Carry" outlets in Calais, which traded as "East Enders", though he eventually sold the business, supposedly for a tidy sum of money.

Click to see full-size image.

He owned various nightclubs in London, too, or so the story goes.

He lived in this rather expensive house in London.....

Had quite an interesting choice in suits, too - usually pink.

Nice motor, too.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:41:53 AM by tikay » Logged

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40626 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »

This was an armed police officer at a siege in Sydney.

Wonder how these guys are supposed to move about in all that gear?

reminded me of the Martin Lewis luggage jacket to avoid RyanAir fees

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40627 on: December 15, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »

I learned this morning that Sam Razavi just win his third concesutive "Asian Poker Tour" Player of the Year Trophy.

He cashed in events in Manila & Cebu (Philippines), Sihanoukville (China?), & Postsmouth.

Love to see guys doing it a bit different, & off the beaten track. Doubt he'll have made fortunes, but he seems to enjoy himslf, which is the main thing.

Well done Sam.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40628 on: December 15, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »

If you have received an e-Mail from me this morning from my personal (i.e., not work) e-Mail address.....

1) Apologies. Ignore it.

2) Please be assured I am not stranded in Turkey, & have not asked you to send me money. 

Snoopy & Kara Scott have alreasy received these e-mails.

I could kick myself, I walked into it I think.

I got a note this morning saying I had to "verify" my Account, & it appeared to come from Yahoo!, so I did so. Big mistake, it seems.

FFS, what is it with everyone these days loving the chance to cause aggro?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40629 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »

This is the e-Mail.

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, I and my family presently on a short trip to Istanbul, Turkey. Unfortunately, I was robbed in the hotel I booked, all my valuables which includes cash, mobile phones were stolen during the attack but luckily I still have my passport with me.

I've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they are not taking the matter seriously. Please, I really need your financial assistance now because things are really getting tough on me here. Our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. Please, let me know if you can help us out?

I'll really appreciate your prompt response.

Tony

Tears in my eyes & everything.

Marv.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40630 on: December 15, 2014, 12:06:29 PM »

If you have received an e-Mail from me this morning from my personal (i.e., not work) e-Mail address.....

1) Apologies. Ignore it.

2) Please be assured I am not stranded in Turkey, & have not asked you to send me money. 

Snoopy & Kara Scott have alreasy received these e-mails.

I could kick myself, I walked into it I think.

I got a note this morning saying I had to "verify" my Account, & it appeared to come from Yahoo!, so I did so. Big mistake, it seems.

FFS, what is it with everyone these days loving the chance to cause aggro?

How do we know this is from you?

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40631 on: December 15, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

definition of dread, an email from tikay titled "help"

spammers have good taste in music though

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:13:37 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #40632 on: December 15, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »

I believed the email until..

"I'll really appreciate your prompt response"

Just didn't sound right.

Had the chequebook out before that line and everything. #heartstrings

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40633 on: December 15, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »

Just didn't sound right.

Bugger, I so nearly had you.

Tears in my eyes here, tears in my eyes.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #40634 on: December 15, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »

Just didn't sound right.

Bugger, I so nearly had you.

Tears in my eyes here, tears in my eyes.

I don't understand the point of the email.

They aren't scamming anyone, anyone who gets the email would either delete it or contact you and find out it wasn't sent by you.

Is it just to cause you annoyance? Or am I missing something?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 ... 2705 2706 2707 2708 [2709] 2710 2711 2712 2713 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: