blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2875 2876 2877 2878 [2879] 2880 2881 2882 2883 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6320174 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #43170 on: August 08, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »

Berkshire Hathaway reports 37% decline in profit?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43171 on: August 16, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »

i know your a big film buff so thought you might give this a watch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178665/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

robert redford plays bill bryson

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43172 on: August 17, 2015, 11:28:36 AM »

Pictures of the day: Owl and kestrel's mid-air fight over a mouse (Alan Wennington/Solent) http://goo.gl/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43173 on: August 26, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »

did you watch?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0684q75/worlds-busiest-railway-2015-episode-2

well worth catching up with if you didn't

incredible images

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #43174 on: August 26, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »

did you watch?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0684q75/worlds-busiest-railway-2015-episode-2

incredible images

posted about this in tv thread last night when it was just starting, think it was part 2 of 4 parts. great subject for a documentary.

thought a lot of last nights episode was pretty boring tbh, but there was plenty to keep me interested.

there has been a very similar series on one of the freeview channels recently.cant find it after a quick look, will post when i see it again.

definetely would love to go on epic train journey through india some time.

will be swerving the 3rd class carriage for 99% of journey.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #43175 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »

Evening Mr T, have found myself unexpectedly available so have decided to give the DTD DC comp a spin for the first time. Will likely be calling PLO8 all night as so rarely get to play it live. I'm happiest playing 456 PLO cash live but have always been wary of DC cash games, seem too swongy for a nit like me.

Anyway, currently using Google to find out the rules of Super Stud and Irish. Could be a short night.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43176 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »

I've been wanting to post diary stuff since Vegas, bit what with post-Vegas lethargy, & the urgent need to rev up blonde generally, I've not managed it yet. The problem, when I'm so behind with replies, & have so much stuff I want to talk about, I don't know whether to start at the bottom, top, or middle.

I have to start somewhere though, so I'll just randomise it.

Apologies to all those who posted stuff which warranted replies, I feel bad about not replying yet, but I'll try & get there eventually.

Off we go then.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43177 on: September 09, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »

Evening Mr T, have found myself unexpectedly available so have decided to give the DTD DC comp a spin for the first time. Will likely be calling PLO8 all night as so rarely get to play it live. I'm happiest playing 456 PLO cash live but have always been wary of DC cash games, seem too swongy for a nit like me.

Anyway, currently using Google to find out the rules of Super Stud and Irish. Could be a short night.

How did you get on? It's a bit far for me, much as I adore Live Poker. Luton is my nearest sensible option, but I've not been there for many a year, & it's hard to break the ice.

I mostly play online every night, amuse myself at no cost, & make a little money. Have to say, I've never enjoyed my poker - live or online - as much as I do at the moment. I can't wait to start my evening sessions, & I looked forward to last week's PLO @ DTD for, literally, weeks, counting down the sleeps. Never cashed, obv, but it was a close run thing. Report to follow, when I get round to it.

One of these might help, but you know how it is - if we had 24, 36 or 48 hours in a day, we'd still want more.

Think it's called Parkinson's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43178 on: September 09, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »

Work, as ever, has been interesting, challenging, & varied. Especially varied.

This morning's next task - after sorting some prickly & awkward e-Mails, is to play some Omaha cash (yup, that's work, lol) which will then be produced as a You Tube Vid along the lines of "Omaha Basics".

Greeky will be laughing fit to burst, God bless him.    

Part One might be how to do this. I'm quite good at it.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #43179 on: September 09, 2015, 12:09:31 PM »

It was hugely enjoyable, loved it. Was similar to last week's PLO comp in that at starting time there were only 4 registered but it did eventually get started and made 16 in the end IIRC. I called 4 card Irish one round just because I'd never played it before and the rest of mine were either 6PLO8 or 6PLO. Padooki was probably top choice with SuperStud and 6PLO8 close behind.

Lost a couple of Padooki pots with an 8 under 7 and Jack under Ten but scooped a PLO8 and was on the good end of a cooler with rolled up set over set in Super Stud to find myself on the final table. Given that LNP was my first introduction to poker the fanboi inside me was thrilled to be sharing a table with Simon Trumper. I also used to tangle with Skalie on Ladbrokes pre-WSOP and to also have him there was a bonus.

Ended up going out 5th - called off what was probably the 3rd biggest stack against the chip leader. One card to come in 6PLO and I have 15 nut outs and possibly 8 more to split. I was happy to either have a monster stack or get home at a decent hour. Was also presented with a semi rub from the winner after the hand so there's another box ticked on the poker bucket list.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #43180 on: September 09, 2015, 12:25:37 PM »

A former work colleague who would from time to time be offline for weeks on end used to come back in the office and say "I need to catch up.  1452 emails huh?  <click>  OK, I'm caught up!"

His reasoning was that any of those unread jobbies would be sent to him again if it was urgent enough.  I could never do it, but it seemed to work for him.  Would be ironic of one of those unread emails was "you are fired" ofc, could have saved himself some work....

But one possible solution that everyone would understand would be to just draw a line under it all, and say, right, new day, let's go.  And in that spirit, how are the wedding plans coming along? Smiley

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #43181 on: September 09, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »

How did you get on? It's a bit far for me, much as I adore Live Poker. Luton is my nearest sensible option, but I've not been there for many a year, & it's hard to break the ice.

I mostly play online every night, amuse myself at no cost, & make a little money. Have to say, I've never enjoyed my poker - live or online - as much as I do at the moment. I can't wait to start my evening sessions, & I looked forward to last week's PLO @ DTD for, literally, weeks, counting down the sleeps. Never cashed, obv, but it was a close run thing. Report to follow, when I get round to it.

One of these might help, but you know how it is - if we had 24, 36 or 48 hours in a day, we'd still want more.

Think it's called Parkinson's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law

I know you used to be a regular there Tikay and haven't been in a while but you must really try and get down. I was there last night and the place looks amazing as they put the finishing touches around the place. The poker room is certainly fit for purpose and once they get the air con working properly (freezing at the moment) I'm sure it will be a comfortable place to play. They even have an onsite betting shop (not staffed all the time, think it's automated machine) so if you are watching the sports and fancy a little gamble it's at your finger tips, of course no good for the value hunters like ourselves but another service nevertheless.

Had an interesting guy on my cash table last night, from the first hand was going all in with any 2, not missing anything when called so soon Upto £1000 and really running like God, ordering Krystal champagne and really enjoying himself, you can imagine how long the waiting list was, the guy was a bit of a dick though but I suppose we put up with that t get our hands on the stack in front of him and the other 8 pink ones sitting on the table to the side. unfortunately they insisted on closing the poker room at 4am just as things were getting really exciting, even a £50per hour offer to the dealer to stay on was no good, maybe people just do not want to earn money nowadays.

Anyway the GUKPT is on next week and I'm sure they have a PLO side event, maybe you could come down for that?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43182 on: September 10, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »

It was hugely enjoyable, loved it. Was similar to last week's PLO comp in that at starting time there were only 4 registered but it did eventually get started and made 16 in the end IIRC. I called 4 card Irish one round just because I'd never played it before and the rest of mine were either 6PLO8 or 6PLO. Padooki was probably top choice with SuperStud and 6PLO8 close behind.

Lost a couple of Padooki pots with an 8 under 7 and Jack under Ten but scooped a PLO8 and was on the good end of a cooler with rolled up set over set in Super Stud to find myself on the final table. Given that LNP was my first introduction to poker the fanboi inside me was thrilled to be sharing a table with Simon Trumper. I also used to tangle with Skalie on Ladbrokes pre-WSOP and to also have him there was a bonus.

Ended up going out 5th - called off what was probably the 3rd biggest stack against the chip leader. One card to come in 6PLO and I have 15 nut outs and possibly 8 more to split. I was happy to either have a monster stack or get home at a decent hour. Was also presented with a semi rub from the winner after the hand so there's another box ticked on the poker bucket list.

Good to hear. And yes, Simon Trumper is an absolute top bloke, we are lucky to have him in our midst.

When Rob appointed him at DTD, there were a lot of mumblings that Rob had lost the plot. To be fair, he does come up with some left field stuff, but Rob's never afraid to fail. And it turned out that not a single soul in poker could have performed his role at DTD better than Simon.

I bet not one person thought Simon would excel in the way he has. There are few people in poker I respect more, & his Omaha bink in Vegas was the British highlight for me.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43183 on: September 10, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »

A former work colleague who would from time to time be offline for weeks on end used to come back in the office and say "I need to catch up.  1452 emails huh?  <click>  OK, I'm caught up!"

His reasoning was that any of those unread jobbies would be sent to him again if it was urgent enough.  I could never do it, but it seemed to work for him.  Would be ironic of one of those unread emails was "you are fired" ofc, could have saved himself some work....

But one possible solution that everyone would understand would be to just draw a line under it all, and say, right, new day, let's go.  And in that spirit, how are the wedding plans coming along? Smiley

Ha, very good.

I'm fastidious with work e-Mails, they all get replied to instantly, within minutes. Those that arrive late afternoon, or during the night get replied to at 5am the next morning. No exceptions. 

I receive a lot of them, due to various Distribution Lists at SB&G, so we get reports & stuff from all parts of the Business. They fascinate me - numbers, stats etc - so I read them avidly. I especially love the Sky Bet stuff - what teams we are rooting for tonight, what horses we want beat this afternoon, & then, at close of business, the Daily Report, with all the numbers, how much was made or lost. For big events, we get detailed summaries of how much SB&G will win or lose depending who wins. Love all that, especially at Cheltenham, Royal Ascot, that sort of stuff. Some of the liabilities & run ups scare me to death, huge numbers, & multiple "run-ups".  They do football price boosts, too, with a 7 figure liability if three particular Premier League Teams win.  It sounds very easy to pick a Premier League treble......

I received 47 yesterday, but most were "read only".

On Monday, I sent 24 e-Mails, yesterday 17. They'd be typical days I suppose. I'm the odd-job bloke, but I enjoy it.

Wedding plans? Never discussed them. Seriously, we wanted to get engaged, but Part B has not been discussed yet. No doubt, in due course, the matter will be addressed.

Have to say Simon, was thrilled to bits to hear you might just be doing Vegas next year. Only you & a few others will know why, but that's some wonderful news, made my day that.     

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43184 on: September 10, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »

did you watch?

incredible images

posted about this in tv thread last night when it was just starting, think it was part 2 of 4 parts. great subject for a documentary.

thought a lot of last nights episode was pretty boring tbh, but there was plenty to keep me interested.

there has been a very similar series on one of the freeview channels recently.cant find it after a quick look, will post when i see it again.

definetely would love to go on epic train journey through india some time.

will be swerving the 3rd class carriage for 99% of journey.

Apologies for the slow reply,  am trying to catch up piecemeal style.

Watched every minute -  one of the best TV series I can recall, beautifully made, & a real eye opener.

The Staff on the Indian Railways have so much pride in their job.

Everything is so old world, too - they hand paint new & refurbished railway carriages, & women - women - are on the track replacement teams, really heavy manual labour, with everything done by hand. 

There was an oddity about the Programme, did you notice it?

Each episode was top & tailed by three presenters, two blokes & a pretty lady, & they were each filmed doing this & that.

Then, suddenly, mid-episode, & in each episode, up pops John Sergeant doing a piece whilst wearing a silly hat. It never fitted the show at all, different style of filming, different film & lighting, it was as if John Sergeant had been making a different series, & they had spliced it in. Quite odd I thought. It never detracted at all, but it just seemed very strange. 

The lady was particularly striking, I thought.

Great series though, very well made indeed.

And those trains - so packed, they don't close the doors. Can you imagine that, here?

Pages: 1 ... 2875 2876 2877 2878 [2879] 2880 2881 2882 2883 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: