blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2912 2913 2914 2915 [2916] 2917 2918 2919 2920 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6331353 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43725 on: November 18, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »

That's a great photograph.

Amazing that it's presumably cheaper to make it in China, build a special ship to carry it & sail it halfway round the world, than make it in GB. 

i suppose it sums up the problems of a domestic steel industry in one photo

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43726 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43727 on: November 18, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »

Just watched the first couple of episodes on Sky+. Beautiful filming although I felt trolled a lot of the time. He took ages to say that the show was from Loch Lomond and the Trossachs Park - I was effing & blinding - You don't get them at Loch Lomond!! Also the segment with the Red Kites and lambing tilted me, I knew a Kite wouldn't take a lamb - so couldn't see why he was leading the audience that way.

I always find it a shame seeing red deer out on the moorland, they're naturally a woodland species but have learned to struggle through in an unnatural habitat for them. That's why they're smaller in the UK than in Europe.

Some great filming with the Dippers, I remember Geo taking some great pics of them with his grandkids.

Love watching film with Pine Martens too - I've never seen a wild one, one for the bucket list.

Glad you watched it, & for those less knowledgeable, Trossachs or not made no odds really.

Two questions for you;

Why do Dippers do that "dip dip" thing every few seconds?

Did you see the Mother Deer attack the friendly baby deer? What was that about, why so vicious?

I enjoyed the Hen Harrier part, too, especially that orphan, who stole the food from his step mum.

I loathe the idea that those Ospreys all have to be given some daft name, but much enjoyed watching them build up to their first flight.

Excellent TV, to my mind. 

Episode 3 is next Tuesday.

I think they said on the programme it's a territorial display by the dippers. Thinking about it they're in noisy territory with the water noise, so instead of singing to tell rivals to f*** off they dip, flashing their white breast to catch the eye of rivals and warn them off.

Deer are dangerous - they can cause real damage with a stamp and she'll be defending her calf's food supply as well. A great bit of filming though.

Hen Harriers are great - but because they share territory with the Red Grouse they are persecuted by gamekeepers - thankfully now that the landowners are open to prosecution if their employees are caught shooting or poisoning the practice is dying out. I've seen a few (mostly when I was grouse-beating years ago).

I was lucky enough a few years back to see a Kestrel's brood fly the nest for the first time, was great to see and the noise of the young as they finally jumped from the quarry face was incredible.

I've Sky+ set for it - I did enjoy it but felt the 'reality tv' presenting bugged me a bit.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43728 on: November 18, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »

Is anyone watching Attenborough's The Hunt on Sky?

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43729 on: November 18, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »

BBC?

His series keep raising the bar

loved the harpy eagle and tiger segments in episode 3

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43730 on: November 18, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »

Not yet Tom, but it's on the list. Would not miss it for the world.

"Life of Birds" is on repeat at the moment, so I'm having to watch that again, too.

Spoilt for choice.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43731 on: November 18, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »

Just watched the first couple of episodes on Sky+. Beautiful filming although I felt trolled a lot of the time. He took ages to say that the show was from Loch Lomond and the Trossachs Park - I was effing & blinding - You don't get them at Loch Lomond!! Also the segment with the Red Kites and lambing tilted me, I knew a Kite wouldn't take a lamb - so couldn't see why he was leading the audience that way.

I always find it a shame seeing red deer out on the moorland, they're naturally a woodland species but have learned to struggle through in an unnatural habitat for them. That's why they're smaller in the UK than in Europe.

Some great filming with the Dippers, I remember Geo taking some great pics of them with his grandkids.

Love watching film with Pine Martens too - I've never seen a wild one, one for the bucket list.

Glad you watched it, & for those less knowledgeable, Trossachs or not made no odds really.

Two questions for you;

Why do Dippers do that "dip dip" thing every few seconds?

Did you see the Mother Deer attack the friendly baby deer? What was that about, why so vicious?

I enjoyed the Hen Harrier part, too, especially that orphan, who stole the food from his step mum.

I loathe the idea that those Ospreys all have to be given some daft name, but much enjoyed watching them build up to their first flight.

Excellent TV, to my mind. 

Episode 3 is next Tuesday.

I think they said on the programme it's a territorial display by the dippers. Thinking about it they're in noisy territory with the water noise, so instead of singing to tell rivals to f*** off they dip, flashing their white breast to catch the eye of rivals and warn them off.

Deer are dangerous - they can cause real damage with a stamp and she'll be defending her calf's food supply as well. A great bit of filming though.

Hen Harriers are great - but because they share territory with the Red Grouse they are persecuted by gamekeepers - thankfully now that the landowners are open to prosecution if their employees are caught shooting or poisoning the practice is dying out. I've seen a few (mostly when I was grouse-beating years ago).

I was lucky enough a few years back to see a Kestrel's brood fly the nest for the first time, was great to see and the noise of the young as they finally jumped from the quarry face was incredible.

I've Sky+ set for it - I did enjoy it but felt the 'reality tv' presenting bugged me a bit.

Was astonished to watch the Hen Harriers passing food to each other mid-air. How clever is that?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43732 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »

Was astonished to watch the Hen Harriers passing food to each other mid-air. How clever is that?

Go to Bermuda at the right time of year and you can watch birds do something far more intimate to each other in mid-air!! But aye, it's great to see.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #43733 on: November 19, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »

Amazing that it's presumably cheaper to make it in China, build a special ship to carry it & sail it halfway round the world, than make it in GB. 

i suppose it sums up the problems of a domestic steel industry in one photo

Indeed. The Chinese are dumping steel in the world market and we're buying it for infrastructure projects?

I could wax political here. I can certainly say that the failure to support our domestic steel industry and the heavy manufacturing industries has been a major failing of government for the past thirty years.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43734 on: November 19, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »

If you are completely new to Omaha, or have often thought of dipping your toes in the 4 card game, this may just interest you. It's not for serious heads, just complete beginners.

I sat in the office a few weeks ago, loaded up a little PLO table, took a seat, & just explained a few thought processes. As it happened, several really useful hands - useful in that they demonstrated PLO well - came along, & we recorded them into little one hand at a time segments. As luck would have it, some great hands (for explaining PLO) went off.

Such a lovely game, imo. Baffles me why 90% or whatever don't play it, but I'd play it every day if I could. And if I could afford to......

PS - it's spam free. And yes, lol @ "tikay's school of Omaha", but these things have to be called something.  

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43735 on: November 19, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »

If you are completely new to Omaha, or have often thought of dipping your toes in the 4 card game, this may just interest you. It's not for serious heads, just complete beginners.

I sat in the office a few weeks ago, loaded up a little PLO table, took a seat, & just explained a few thought processes. As it happened, several really useful hands - useful in that they demonstrated PLO well - came along, & we recorded them into little one hand at a time segments. As luck would have it, some great hands (for explaining PLO) went off.

Such a lovely game, imo. Baffles me why 90% or whatever don't play it, but I'd play it every day if I could. And if I could afford to......

PS - it's spam free. And yes, lol @ "tikay's school of Omaha", but these things have to be called something.  

Excellent. Really well presented.

Just at the right level for beginners. (Including me btw).

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43736 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:56 PM »

Ha, thanks Tom, that means a lot.

As it happens, when I looked at those vids, I was quite pleased with how they came out, & that's very unusual for me, as I lack self confidence, & I'm not terribly proud of myself very often. But they seemed - to my eyes anyway - to do exactly what I wanted them to do. Some perfect hands there to demonstrate PLO, too.

I already got some grief on Twitter for some of the plays, & yeah, I'm probably shite, but that misses the pojnt - trying to teach new players in ABC language.

A newbie asked a question recently Next Door, & he got a bewildering reply, it was Level 10 stuff, really good, too. But the guy who asked the question was a complete newbie, never even knew what position meant sorta thing. The reply might as well have been written in Russian for all the sense it would make to the poor chap.   

It's like when I read Pleno hand analysis. It completely whooshes me, does not teach me a thing - because he is Level 10, & I'm Level 1.

Anyway, love the PLO.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #43737 on: November 19, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »

Online the rake is just too high, tikay.  On Pstars $100 zoom, the house takes one stack off the table every hour - everyone's starting stack gone after six hour's play.  In lower limits it's as much as 200 big blinds going down the slot every hour! (Even you must admit that deserves an exclamation mark.)  

If Sky set the omaha rake at 5% capped at 1 small blind (and advertised it), I would be extremely surprised if their traffic didn't increase massively.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43738 on: November 21, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »

Saw thIs about your idol, and thought you might enjoy.

Spare a thought for poor ole for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair. After arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be €1 please, Mr. O’Leary." Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money. "Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6pm until 8pm. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland". "That is remarkable value", Michael comments. "I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be €3 please." O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra €2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you €1." "I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please". Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame". "I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4 for your seat sir". O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another €3." O'Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager". "I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be €2 please." O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?" "Of course I do Mr. O'Leary." "I've had enough! What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!" "Here is his E-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only €1 per second, or part thereof". "I will never use this bar again". "OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for €1.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #43739 on: November 21, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »

Saw thIs about your idol, and thought you might enjoy.

Spare a thought for poor ole for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair. After arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be €1 please, Mr. O’Leary." Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money. "Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6pm until 8pm. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland". "That is remarkable value", Michael comments. "I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be €3 please." O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra €2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you €1." "I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please". Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame". "I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4 for your seat sir". O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another €3." O'Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager". "I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be €2 please." O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?" "Of course I do Mr. O'Leary." "I've had enough! What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!" "Here is his E-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only €1 per second, or part thereof". "I will never use this bar again". "OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for €1.

That is awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 2912 2913 2914 2915 [2916] 2917 2918 2919 2920 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: